Sugar - Is It Fair To Count Natural the Same As Processed?

Options
Does anyone else find mfp's sugar allowances a bit whacked? I track my sugar intake along with the other stuff (protein, fat, carbs, etc), but I find the allowances a bit one sided. I only eat natural sugars - i.e. fresh or sometimes dried fruit (mainly raisins), organic juices, and about once a week an organic yogurt, and anything else I eat I am very meticulous with and make sure they do not have "hidden" sugars. I don't eat gluten(by personal choice), so no kind of white flours/breads that have sugar in them, and I don't even have any sort of sweetner in my coffee, I haven't done for a few years now.

But even like eating one fruit a day + 1 glass of juice (250 ml) puts me dangeriously close to going over, and then if I do happen to have, say, one piece of gluten free toast that has like 5 grams of sugar in it, it puts me over!

It is just a bit maddening I guess bc I am super good about not eating sweets, junk food or processed sugars/foods.

What does anyone else think about this? Should I not worry so much since I am only eating natural sugars?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, all sugar is the same in the end and the effects it has on the human body.
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, the fiber in natural fruit helps slow the digestion of sugar so that more gets eaten up by bacteria in the intestines, and it doesn't have the effect on insulin that we normally associate with junk food. However juice is no good. Eat the whole fruit, and berries are better: lower in sugar and higher in fiber than other options.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing since my sugars are always high too. I don't worry so much about it as long as my ratios for fat, carbs and protein are within range. I try for a 40/30/30 and make sure I get at least 35 grams of fiber most days.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Their chemical structure is the same, however, focusing on either one misses the forest for the trees.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All sugars are natural. The MFP limit (and current nutritional guidance) is a off-beam so you should either turn off sugar tracking in your settings http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings or set a sensible target in Custom Goals http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    MFP puts it very low. I quit tracking it because I am tracking carbs and sugar is a carbohydrate. So there's really no point in tracking the different subsets. If you are diabetic, then you can't eat too many carbs in one sitting.

As far as fructose vs sucrose, your body doesn't recognize the difference. All carbohydrates, except fiber, turn to glycogen in your body, which the body needs. The only real difference between a piece of fruit and a piece of candy is the vitamins and fiber that come along with the fruit. You are not likely to find candy enriched with vitamins and fiber. :laugh:

Don't worry about it. Just make sure that most of your carbohydrates are complex carbohydrates (breads, pasta) and know that too much fruit can lead to too much fiber.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well I only eat one fruit a day usually (an apple, a banana, etc), so I think I am ok in terms of ammount.

Candy as well will have lots of nasty little chemicals such as artificial flavourings/colourings. I think I will go ahead and turn off the sugar counter as I am doing exactly what I used to do when I lost 25lbs before, so obviously it is ok! I know I don't eat processed sugars so I am probably just stressing myself out more by looking at it and it is unneccessary!
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fruit=good
    Fruit juice=not so good

I can't remember the science behind it, but even juice that has no sugar added spikes your blood sugar faster than just eating a piece of fruit. Have you noticed that when a diabetic has low blood sugar they are advised to drink a glass of orange juice? It will bring their sugar up much faster than eating an actual orange. I think it has something to do with the fiber and all of the good stuff that is taken out when juiced.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You sound like a very healthy eater,so I wouldnt worry about a piece of fruit or two if it doesn't affect your weight loss and you have no issues with insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, ect. An enormous amount of people though, Americans in particular, do have these issues however, and ought to treat sugar as if it were a toxin no matter what form it comes in, at least until their condition is under control. Then it should still be monitored super closely.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Yes it is fair and if you must use Truvia.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    Since my nutritionist recommended this site, I brought up that same issue with her. She said don't worry about the sugar so much since it's coming from fruit and not candy. She said focus more on calories and carbs.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    I have tried Truvia and I absolutely hate the taste of it. It is very bitter imo. The thing is, I don't use sweetners in drinks, etc. I only eat fruit or yogurts generall, or drink juice. Recently though, I have been thinking of getting a juicer so I can still have juice at breakfast, butmake it myself every day. That way, I know there is nothing dodgy in it, even if the juices I buy do say "all natural" etc!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Sugar. Same same I would have guessed.

Like Salt v "thats sea salt, natural" smae thing mate
  • issystclaire
    Options
    Since my nutritionist recommended this site, I brought up that same issue with her. She said don't worry about the sugar so much since it's coming from fruit and not candy. She said focus more on calories and carbs.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I have figured now. I have taken the sugar counter off my food diary and will keep doing what I am doing (and what I have done in the past). :-)
  • issystclaire
    Options

This is not entirely tru though. Iodized salt is chemical - natural sea salt will be straight from the ocean. I believe very strongly in eating all natural/no chemical foods so I tend to stay away from anything that is procssed.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    But would they not have the same effect of your body? Salt natural or not, is a chemical right?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But would they not have the same effect of your body? Salt natural or not, is a chemical right?

yep, NaCl or sodium chloride. People get would up about 0.1% of other stuff as if it's going to make a difference. LOL.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I agree that you appear to be eating very healthy and wouldn't stress over it. However, if you are concerned and want to reduce your intake further, ditch the juice and/or dried fruit.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    As I said, I believe in the natural path - anything that doesn't come from the earth naturally I do not want in my body, anything that has a massive list of ingredients on its package - I am not eating it, anything that even comes in a package to begin with - most likely I am not eating it, anything that is anything other than mininmally processed - you guessed it, I am not eating it, lol.

. But that's me. People have different opinions on this school of thought, but for me, it is the one I subscribe to. :-)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This is not entirely tru though. Iodized salt is chemical - natural sea salt will be straight from the ocean. I believe very strongly in eating all natural/no chemical foods so I tend to stay away from anything that is procssed.

What are you eating that is chemical free and non processed?