failed again

2»

Replies

• mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    I consider myself (to steal someone else's phrase) a success-in-the-making. I've lost a lot, but i still have a long way to go. And there are several things that have helped me:

- It's a marathon, not a sprint.
    - I will ALWAYS have to watch what I eat. For the rest of my life. (this was a huge one for me!)
    - make small changes at any given time. don't try to just get rid of bad habits - replace them with healthier habits.
    - i WILL stray from my plan, have a cheat day, make bad decisions, splurge, whatever you want to call it. It's ok. Stop beating myself up, and get back on my plan NOW - not tomorrow morning, not Monday, not the 1st of the month, not the 1st of the new year - RIGHT NOW.
    - set small goals so it doesn't seem so overwhelming

Feel free to friend me!

This, word for word.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    I dunno if this will help since it is kind of the opposite of the 'one day at a time' philosophy.

I was feeling really down on myself like this. And then one day I decided to put myself on a mini-bootcamp.

I told myself for one month I was going to do everything that I can to make myself healthier. I tracked everything I ate, tried new recipes, upped my fruit and veg, started exercising (just walking, nothing overly ambitious), took vitamins, got early nights, got on top of moisturising, drank more water, cut out fast food. I still budgeted my calories for a small 75 cal treat every night to stop me feeling deprived, but that was it. My thought process was that at the end of the month, even if I hadn't lost weight I could look at myself in the mirror and feel good that I was really really trying. That I was giving my body the absolute best chance I could of being healthy. And that I had stuck to it for a whole month - ie, I wasn't a failure!

Well tomorrow will be one month and as it happens I have lost weight, I feel fitter and best of all, I feel proud of myself! I did it. No cheating. I am taking care of myself properly. This weekend is my husband's birthday and we had planned on having a weekend of 'celebrating' (ie. eating crap). But now we will probably just have one take out and be good the rest of the time because we are both so motivated. I am starting couch to 5k this week. My husband did this with me and it's made a huge difference to his appearance, his sugar levels (type 1 diabetes) and his snoring!

It was manageable because the end was always in sight and I tried hard to focus on being healthy rather than being on a diet. I also made lots of checklists for myself which always feels good.
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    baby steps. Today you do something small and tomorrow you do something just a tiny bit bigger. And before you know it its a habit and you enjoy it. I started out walking. Everyday i went for a walk. On days i didn't feel like it, i went anyway and i was always glad i did. Now my day isn't complete until i've walked. Now i'm starting to jog. Who knows what i'll be doing a month from now.

You can do this. its mind of matter. You have to decide to put forth an effort everyday. Maybe that just means saying no to an extra piece of pie, or an extra mile on the treadmill. Everything in life begins with a decision. What do you decide?
  • Making the change NOW instead of setting a start date was what made it possible for me. For round 1 of MFP when I lost 15 pounds (gained back 10 of it over the summer) and has worked during round 2 of MFP.

I realized I had gained back 10 pounds in September, and instead of making a plan, instead of making a start-date, I put some shoes on and went for a walk. When I came back, I suddenly craved a healthy dinner instead of the fried chicken sitting in my fridge. I've lost those 10 pounds in a month and a half, am running a 5k on Saturday, and I feel great.

Do I slip up? OF COURSE I DO. I would be inhuman if I didn't. Do I feel like crap afterwards? You bet, but instead of continuously making poor choices that sabotage my efforts, I change my behavior RIGHT THEN. And so far, it works. Quite well actually.

Keep at it! Good luck!
  • Bless you guys!! I mean that with all of my heart. Knowing that I can reach out here and there is someone there that has been there and understands the struggles is just awesome. I actually have tears in my eyes from reading the posts.

I have used today to get back on track. Counting my calories, drinking water and walked 3 miles.

I do need to change my mindset. I started listening to Billy Blanks motivational cds when I started this again and slipped off listening to him. Your words ring true with what he says too, "where I am today is where my mind and will has put me. Where I am tomorrow is where my mind and will will put me".

Again thank you. There are so many great tips in here that I hope you guys dont mind if I print them out to use as a reminder.

Debbie
  • hiyamippa
    hiyamippa Posts: 7 Member
    The only time you fail is when you give up. If you fall down nine times get up nine... never stay down.

I love this! Think of this as a journey to a healthier you-not a diet that has an end. You can do this!