really really lost and confused

Options
Hello all, Sorry I did not log on I have been on fall break and before fall break I went to go see a nutritionist. As we all know that I'm a type one diabetic so I thought it was a good idea to go visit her see how I can improve my lifestyle. Well for starters I think that the nutritionist that I went to is a crazy wacko. Some of her advice that she told me I though was a little out there. That counting calories will not help you lose weight, if you just walked for thirty minutes and ate what ever you want you will lose weight. Then she told me to drink only eight glasses of eight ounces of water a day is more the plenty. You should not drink more because it is bad for your body. Another thing is that you would only weight yourself once a year at your doctor yearly check up. Also I tend to weight my food on a digital scale my nutritionist told me to buy a new scale because my old one what I bought less then a year ago is all ready out of date. That also cardio exercise will not help you lose weight only waling will. So there was some few other changes but you get the drift. So I followed the plan that the nutritionist put me on and low and behold guess what the weigh that I had previously lost I had gained it all back. So over fall break I thought long and hard of what food I'm going to put in my body and what type of exercise I want to do. I know her way is not working and my way is semi working, so here I'm trying to find a happy middle. So tomorrow fall break is over and back to the school and the grind. I think I might of found a happy medium but I don't know we will see. So if anybody has any advice they want to share with me my ears are always open. Thanks for listening to me. Hope to here from all of you soon.

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like that nutritionist needs to find another job for their clients' sake.

Count calories, eat at a moderate deficit, do a little bit of exercise (my mom is a diabetic and it's dangerous for her to burn a lot of calories in one session). It's that simple.

The exact number of calories you should eat per day can vary greatly; try the number MFP gives you and make adjustments. If you're getting weak and dizzy and such, try increasing by 100.

The only other thing is, since you have diabetes, you might need to consume several small meals throughout the day instead of having a couple of big meals. My mom has to eat little bits throughout the day, or else her blood sugar is out of control. Minimize your consumption of refined grains and sugar... you probably know that stuff already :)