Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Stress Eating Help!

So I'm in graduate school and I find that I stress eat a lot. When it's midterms/finals/have lots of papers due, I find myself constantly snacking and snacking on not healthy food.
Does anyone else have this program/what do you do to help curb it?
I've done this my whole life (deaths, school, etc). and I don't know how to switch it up.

Replies

• Replace.
    Let's face it, trying to kick a coping mechanism right now is going to send you off the deep end if you go cold turkey. So replace it.
    Keep celery and other crunchy veg (most snacks you're having would be crunchy and savoury I'm guessing) and raw nuts. If it's sweet things, keep different fruits around along with oats or raw muesli. Even cereal like cherios are good.
    Sure, you might get the same calories from eating some of these but at least you have the benefit of all the vitamins and good fats.
    Then when it's less stressful you can try drinking water or going for a walk.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Definitely me. I've been doing this so much since school started back and I'm working such long hours. I haven't found the answer, but I'd like to know. The only things that help me are: recording what I eat and keeping myself accountable, chewing gum, and focusing on other things. I'd love some other tips too.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Hullow, college student here as well!

I'm the same way. I know for a fact it's a form of procrastination (for me), because I know that if I go to the library without food I'll not have food for a long time, and therefore eat a lot before I pack my backpack (and put off leaving my room by eating more, in fact). Additionally, if I'm sitting in my bed working on some form of homework I find myself wanting to not finish this assignment and think up other things I could be doing, e.g. eating.

I conquered this hill by packing my bags early on and avoiding going home during the day. I remember how much I enjoy being in the library and tell myself how much I love the study. And in all honesty once I get to the library or wherever I need to go to study, I do love it.
  • This is def me! I just started going back to school in august and am working part-time as well. What I try to do is pack snacks that are healthy like fruit, veggies, trail mix. I also try to take with me water and nutrition shake. So if I am tempted to snack I will always have something healthy to eat instead of junk food. I also try to exercise when I get home to work out the stress, so that I am not tempted to stress eat.