Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ricotta Ideas please

stormryda
stormryda Posts: 8
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone,

Im a huge lover of cheese and like most people I realise cheese + diets don't mix very well
Especially when its vintage cheese that i love so much lol. My dietition suggested i try
and experiment with low fat ricotta cheese in recipes. So far i have tried,

Ricotta on crumpets/muffins/toast as a spread which was yummy
Ricotta and tuna mixed together and eaten on dry crackers

I was wondering what other recipes can i try as breakfast/lunch/dinners anyone have any others please
I would greatly appreciate the help.

Replies

• erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Mix it with cooked spinach, black pepper and a little nutmeg and use it to stuff tomatoes or peppers and then bake in the oven. You can also use it to stuff pasta or crepes if you aren't watching the carbs...or eat it out of the mixing bowl with a spoon (or not) :wink:

Spinach and ricotta is one of my favourite things!
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Chicken capri:

Chicken breast topped with 1-2 TBSP of ricotta, toppede with diced tomatoes and then mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 .

DESSERT:
    1/4 or 1/2 cup ricotta mixed with 1/2 tsp cocoa and 2 splenda.
    or
    Mix the ricotta w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter. REALLY good frozen for a little while. Almost like ice cream :)
  • Mix a cup with half a cup of mashed butternut squash and some nutmeg, and fill a couple of brown Pittas cut in half. Cover with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, cover with foil and bake for 20 mins at 300, then uncovered for 5 mins. Easy and very delicious!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Here are some ideas for desserts from South Beach diet

Take 1/2 cup ricotta
    1 package sugar substitue

add you favorite flavor such as
    1/4 tsp lemon zest and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or
    1/4 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp toasted almonds or
    1/4 tsp vanilla or
    1/2 tsp cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 5 mini chocolate chips, dash expresson powder or
    1/4 tsp lime zest, 1/4 tsp vanilla

Take it from there and make your own flavor combinations!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Mix a cup with half a cup of mashed butternut squash and some nutmeg, and fill a couple of brown Pittas cut in half. Cover with 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, cover with foil and bake for 20 mins at 300, then uncovered for 5 mins. Easy and very delicious!

That sounds yummy! :smile:
  • Wow all those ideas sound fantastic! thanks for the help everyone
    I cant wait to try them all :bigsmile:
  • Bump
  • Bump
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    I use a park skim low fat ricotta and mix one cup with one cup of fat free cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stuff into jumbo shells, pour over tomato suace and bake til bubbly ... Not sure the calories but they worked out to one WW point per shell ;) and were yummy!
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Mix 1/4 cup ricotta and 1 frozen peach in the food processor. You can add splenda if needed.
  • I use a park skim low fat ricotta and mix one cup with one cup of fat free cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stuff into jumbo shells, pour over tomato suace and bake til bubbly ... Not sure the calories but they worked out to one WW point per shell ;) and were yummy!

Oh, this sounds really good! And fast! Thanks! I have a container in my refrigerator and have been wondering how to use it. :smile:
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Bumping to save all these great ideas! I love sweet cheesy desserts!
  • mynulife
    mynulife Posts: 28 Member
    The southbeach desserts are wonderful - I have used pumpkin pie spice also - totally yummy! and it really fills you up!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Bump for me!
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    bump!!!! guess what i a going to buy tomorrow...
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Some of my faves -

* toast/english muffin/crumpet with a spoon of ricotta on top and a drizzle of honey

* mixture of spinach, ricotta and a little stuffing mix (ie essentially breadcrumbs and herbs, in case your stuffing mix is different) pressed inside canneloni tubes, covered with tomato pasta sauce and a little cheddar and baked

* Mixture of spinach and ricotta (or baby spinach leaves and separate ricotta) as the filling for a sandwich. I like it with pre-flavoured tofu but you could have it alone or with anything. If I'm taking it to work, I keep the bits and pieces in separate tiny containers and assemble it at work so it doesnt get soggy

* Low fat chicken burger patties made by mixing a few tablespoons of ricotta with chicken breast mince and fresh, chopped herbs

Mmm ricotta!
This discussion has been closed.