Almond milk

Options
So I decided I didn't feel I was getting enough calcium because I wasn't drink milk as often do to the calories in it, even the low fat ones have a lot of calories. So I decided to try almond milk, I was in the store looking at all the choices who knew there were about 20 different types to choose from lol. I happened to comment to a lady standing next to me that I wished they had smaller sizes so I could try it. She asked what made me want to try it, I explained that I was trying to lose weight and doing well but felt I needed more calcium. She said she drank almond milk asked a few more questions such as did I intend to mix it with stuff or just drink that sort of thing. I told her I would like to be able to drinki it so she recommended a vanilla flavored and at least a 90 calorie one to start then recommended a brand that she liked. I was very lucky she happened to walk up. I took her advice and I have to say it isn't to bad.

Not sure I love to drink it straight but I used it in my oatmeal this morning and it was great, used it in cocoa tonite also excellent. I will probably drink it straight again because while not exactly like a glass of milk it wasn't bad by any means.

Some times the right people are there when we need them! It could have been disastrous if I had gone with say a no flavored 40 calorie one. I may try different ones but glad I had help cause lets face it if the first one I tried had been awful I probably wouldnt have tried another one.

Replies

• ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I drink the almond milk unsweetened vanilla one, it is only 30 cals per cup. I find it is more heavy on the stomach then say 2% reg milk, so it is satisfying. I also like, no make that LOVE ALMONDS. I am an ALMOND FIEND! ALMONDS are what got me to the weight I am.....so I do not bring almonds into the house....
    My son made rice pudding with the almond milk last weekend and topped it with nutmeg and cinnamon..it was good!
    It does give coffee an off taste though! ugh
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i love almond milk!! I don't like to drink it straight but I use it to mix stuff like smoothies or recipes that need milk
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and used soy milk for awhile and I liked the chocolate to drink straight but wasn't sure about the phytoestrogens in soy so I switched to almond milk. I rarely drink it straight but I buy the unflavored for use on cereal, in cooking or my favorite is my homemade iced cappucino drink. Vanilla isn't one of my favorite flavors and I found the chocolate isn't that great either.
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I gave up almost all dairy in July 2012 (by almost all dairy I mean I still use 2 teaspoons of half and half in my coffee, I am really trying to get ride of that now) and OMG I love it!! I use unsweetened almond milk and use it in other food. I have not aquired the taste of it to just drink it straight BUT I am really glad I asked questions with different people at work.
    Good for you for making this change...I know I feel so much better without dairy!!!
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i also just discovered it, and i love it more than regular milk and drink it straight out of the carton. just had a nice tall glass to accompany my oatmeal. its fantastic.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk is great. i drink blue diamond unsweetened vanilla and it's only 30 cal per cup and its really good. i drink it straight or use it to make smoothies. Don't expect it to tastr like regular milk if you haven't tried ir; keep am open mind. but i was never a fan or regular milk in the first place, so i actually prefer its nuttier flavor and thicker consistency :)
  • Brooklyngurl3
    Brooklyngurl3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great. I use it in my oatmeal yummy! I switched from the Fat free milk to the unsweetened vanilla almond. I really like it and it has less calories.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I love almond milk too! I go for the unsweetened vanilla kind. I mostly mix it with stuff like oatmeal, cereal or smoothies, but do drink it plain sometimes too. I guess it does take some getting used to if you're used to sweeter things like regular milk or sweetened almond or soy milk, but I love it. Plus you can always mix some honey or splenda in it to sweeten it and it's sooo good that way too.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is great too.
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I've been contemplating the switch from cow's milk to almond milk, so am very grateful for your views & your discussion of alternatives. From a soon-to-be convert.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I also mix it in my oatmeal and my protein shakes. i use the vanilla flavored-I want to try the chocolate one though.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I want to try Almond milk... >.> But I am afraid... oh wait, nevermind. Was gonna say afraid others in my house would drink it... but they wouldn't drink it unless it contained lard.

I NEED TO GO SHOPPING!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm a convert to almond milk for a lot of things too. I use it in my oatmeal and smoothies and occasionally some recipes. I buy just the plain unsweetened kind (not vanilla) for 30 calories a serving. I figure anything I'm adding it to is going to have extra flavor so I didn't need the vanilla. It's also great for a quick protein drink in the morning after weights. Mix it with chocolate protein powder and it's a great glass of chocolate milk!
  • harleigh67
    Options
    I love the Blue Diamond vanilla almond milk...i use it cereal, but mostly with protein as a smoothie to drink, I will take a bunch of frozen or fresh fruits like bananas, peaches, berries, pineapple, apples and a scoop of whey protein and a scoop of either flax seed or chia seed and blend it in a smoothie blender ...or make a veggie one with the almond milk.....its much better and tastes like a fruit milkshake, even my daughter liked it....going to have to try it as hot chocolate that sounds good

I tried coconut milk( it was ok but its good for you).....lactaid vit D red one(good)....gonna try rice milk next...
    But have been sticking with almond vanilla so far....I ended up using the rice milk to cook with and in recipes because I didn't want to waste it....

If you come up with any other great idea....I like the smoothie website....you can just drink a meal, easier on the stomach and fast to make... http://www.smoothieweb.com/
    I have had GERD for 5 years and doing a breakfast & lunch smoothie with a real dinner has helped me get in my calories and stop the GERD from being so bad!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk, too! I drink the unsweetened vanilla also. I think it tastes close to real milk, but not as sour-y. I drink it straight, but also use it to bake, in cereal/oatmeal, smoothies, lattes, etc. Never going back to cow's milk!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We drink the unsweetened plain stuff. I mixed with with regular milk for the kids, starting at 80% milk, 20% almond milk, and gradually changed the ratios until they were drinking it straight. You can get use to anything that way - that's how I switched from very sweet coffee to black. Now they love the stuff... "nut milk" they call it.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk, too! I drink the unsweetened vanilla also. I think it tastes close to real milk, but not as sour-y. I drink it straight, but also use it to bake, in cereal/oatmeal, smoothies, lattes, etc. Never going back to cow's milk!

this!
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla. Blue Diamond, Silk or Trader Joe's brand, doesn't matter. I probably end up drinking a gallon or more a week. I drink it straight, mix it into my oatmeal each morning and use it to make every protein shake I drink.

Damn, Am I an Almond Milk addict??
  • Luvs_Chocolate
    Luvs_Chocolate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My Husband and I switched to almond milk as well. I used to drink a lot of milk and was finding it hard to stay within 1200. So now I just use 1 percent in my lattes (don't really like the taste of almond in my coffee) and use almond milk for everything else ie, cereal, smoothies, tea etc We buy the plain unsweetened kind in all brands, they all taste the same to us.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a convert to almond milk for a lot of things too. I use it in my oatmeal and smoothies and occasionally some recipes. I buy just the plain unsweetened kind (not vanilla) for 30 calories a serving. I figure anything I'm adding it to is going to have extra flavor so I didn't need the vanilla. It's also great for a quick protein drink in the morning after weights. Mix it with chocolate protein powder and it's a great glass of chocolate milk!

wowwww the blue diamond original almond milk i have is 60 cals...i'll have to look for the 30 cal one next time!