Overweight Runner...shorts riding up?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
When I run, my shorts ride up my inner thighs in a bad way. They seriously can't go any higher. I am assuming this is because my thighs be fat...is there anything I can do to make them knock it off? I prefer looser fitting gym shorts since I am still so overweight, but if I need to get some closer fitting ones I guess I'll have to suck it up and do it.

Replies

• lustrebass
    lustrebass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try compression shorts instead. or yoga pants. Works for me.
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    Get some compression shorts to wear underneath
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Try capris. If I have to wear shorts I will wear compression pants underneath.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    agree w/capris - I'm sure they'll look fine on you if they're the right size. I see people of all sizes in those and they look fine, at least as good as they look in shorts.

I'm pretty tiny and I still get inner thigh chafing and riding up issues in shorts sometimes.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with shorts, so I wear running capris. No problem with them at all.
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yup. Capris. I have some Champion C9's from Target and some Danskin ones from Walmart. Gap and Old Navy also have nice workout clothes.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Omg! I definitely know the feeling. It used to embarrass me so bad! But then one day, it stopped. Because I just kept running. So don't quit! Just wear some capris until you lose a few lbs. and the shorts fit a little better.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What bothers you? That they are riding up or does your skin get irritated? Compression shorts or capris would be best to avoid the ride up. If your skin is getting irritated try Body Glide which will prevent chafing.
  • JTick
    Options
    Well dwerp...I forgot about those magical things called capris! :laugh:

Thanks guys!
  • JTick
    Options
    What bothers you? That they are riding up or does your skin get irritated? Compression shorts or capris would be best to avoid the ride up. If your skin is getting irritated try Body Glide which will prevent chafing.

Just that they ride up, I have a crotch wedgie from my shorts!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    wear capris or tighter running shorts. That's what I finally had to do.
  • g_jelly
    g_jelly Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with running short and like you I really don't find capris or tights flattering. So I tend to wear shorts knee length or longer and they don't tend to ride up as much. But they need to be quite tight fitting around the thigh to prevent chaffing. Good luck finding something that you feel comfortable in :)
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wear running skirts or capris. Running skirts are much cuter, though!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Mine will occasionally ride up but not often; I'll just take 2 seconds to re-adjust them while running - no problem! But yea, compression shorts or capris until you lose a few pounds - after that it gets better.

And agree on the bodyGlide - carry mine in my backpack as it has helped me in more ways than just running!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I've seen plenty of not-so-overweight runners with the same problems... shorts riding up with every stride. I use yoga pants for my shorter runs and actual running pants for long ones. But then, my legs haven't really seen the light of day since the 1970's...:noway:
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wear running skirts or capris. Running skirts are much cuter, though!

I love the running skirts! The pants underneath don't ride up and the skirt is flattering but still hide the thighs. I have two shorter pairs and then one skirt with 3/4 tights underneath.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I opt for workout capris/pants. I'm not a fan of shorts. Capris are my fav. because they are light and cool.
  • claw0416
    Options
    Bump..great advice folks..
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Nike pro dri fit shorts. Get them. Enjoy them for the rest of your running life.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started out with Walmart's Danskin 'capris' exercise pants they were 11 ish dollars and with a large tshirt I felt comfortable working out with them. They weren't too tight, and a small investment at the time, I've gone down a few sizes and bought a 'more expensive' pair and quite truthfully I like the danskin better.