How to make time for me?

Options
I know there are other seriously busy people on here --- how do you make time to get good quality excercise into your day?? I have been sacrificing sleep but am finding myself to be feeling run down... Any tips to get me moving without breaking the "time bank" ( i typically leave at 6 am to go to my office and get home around 5pm -- longish commute). I am a Mom to 3 kids, work full time and am still nursing my baby. I am not training to be a super duper athlete just a healthy active woman (who is going to do the tough mudder in May).

Strategies etc.. Welcome

Replies

• babyangel6806
    babyangel6806 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Depending on what time you go to bed maybe try getting in 30 min. in the evening after the kids are taken care of. I am currently working part-time, in school full-time, and have two kids and a husband at home but I have gotten into the routine of going to the gym every other day during the week after I take my kids to school before I go to work (however this only works because I litteraly go past the gym everyday on the way to work lol).
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would try to shave time off things like cooking dinner and cleaning. Maybe a night a week the kids can cook and you can supervise/exercise. Depending on their ages, it might be sandwiches for dinner when they have their cook night. Maybe you could make double portions and freeze half so you just have to reheat leftovers later. The kids (not so much the baby) can exercise too to keep them occupied. The kids can help out tons with picking up, sweeping and small time consuming tasks.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I hate to say it but I'm actually getting up at 430am to do my run, then go to work. I'm also going to the gym on the way home twice a week. I head to bed the same time as the kids which has cut into my time with my husband, but he is ultra supportive so, for now, it works. On Saturday's we both do our long runs- when the kids were little he'd go first, then I'd meet him and he'd take the kids to breakfast while I ran.

Recently we dropped one of the kids activities which gave the whole family more time- he's happier and so are we.

Here are some suggestions I recently read- maybe one will work for you:
    - make it a priority, since it is important you will do it
    - schedule workouts in advance, put them on your apointment calendar
    - remember that when you exercise you will be healthier, happier, and better able to perform your other duties (like being mom)
    - keep your gear with you, a change in the car makes it easy to take advantage of extra time or opportunities (instead of driving home in traffic work out then go home when the roads clear
    -commute to/from work (bike, run, etc if applicable)
    -workout early in the morning before everyone else gets up and you have energy or later in the night after everyone has gone to bed
    -find a work out buddy to meet with a few times a week.
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thank you --- I have friends that just "make the time" I know it makes them happier and better members of their families --- I got get the lazy bones outa me!
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    thank you --- I have friends that just "make the time" I know it makes them happier and better members of their families --- I got get the lazy bones outa me!

Hardly a lazy bones what with all those kids and a house to run. If there is a significant other can they, and the kids, take on some of your home responsibilities?

Don't know if you spend much time in front of the TV, but that is non-essential (he says awaiting for he backlash).
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I know there are other seriously busy people on here --- how do you make time to get good quality excercise into your day?? I have been sacrificing sleep but am finding myself to be feeling run down... Any tips to get me moving without breaking the "time bank" ( i typically leave at 6 am to go to my office and get home around 5pm -- longish commute). I am a Mom to 3 kids, work full time and am still nursing my baby. I am not training to be a super duper athlete just a healthy active woman (who is going to do the tough mudder in May).

Strategies etc.. Welcome

When I am cranky due to lack of sleep, it's just not fun and I'm not a productive person.

finding 15-20 minutes 3-4 x's times a day really helps. During your lunch hour, you could get a lot accomplished.
    On sundays, if you prepare and pre-plan several meals, you can shave off a lot of dinner time.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    If you live near a big fitness club that offers child care, then that can help. Some have awesome programs for the kids while you are working out. But maybe your youngest is still too young at this point for a childcare setting like that.

I diligently get up early every mornning before anyone is looking for me, and before my long commute and work, but like you I could use more sleep.