Wheelchair exercises

Options
So, I could use some wheelchair exercises, but I have back problems. Need gentle movements to begin. Any one want to join me with just doing gentle movements to start with and work our way up to other exercises? Stretches, tai chi, yoga. Those kinds of things.

Replies

• sunshinefrei
    Options
    Hi glad to see you here on the boards. I too have back problems involving legg issues. Have lot of nerve intrapment. Would love to join you. I have 130lbs to lose. Just add me as a friend.
  • Zanna857
    Zanna857 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same page. I too have low back problems pinched nerves and a difficulty with any kind of impact workouts. I do streches nearly every day, and almost always two times a day. I would always like to have new ideas. I'm willing to share my pain relief techniques if they can help at all. Because of my health, and the pain and incapacity of my body, I'm on a serious journey. Ideally, I am aiming for 90 to get me to a much healthier place, and a place I hope will relieve pain, but overall I am going forbetween135#, and 145#

Currently I do mostly streches and only little aerobic exercise. In two weeks I hope to.change that when I have a new epidural and the pain will be back under some control. Look forward to working with you.
    Yours, Suzi.
  • shirleydawson
    shirleydawson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have back issues and fibroymylgia too. I can't walk or do impact exercise, but I have been doing some water aerobics 2-3 times a week which feels great. Nothing hurts in the water unless I make a unusual move.
    Tonight I sat watching TV with my 5 lb hand weights and did some arm exercises while watching a movie. I'm going to leave them next to my chair and try to do that every time I sit down for TV. I've been diagnosed with fatty liver and spleen. So I have to do something to correct these problems. I do not want to be looking at a liver transplant at some point.

I'm 58 and have 130 pounds to lose. I just joined MFP a week ago and I weigh again tomorrow to see if my 1350/cal a day diet has helped at all. I have other health issues, including diabetes which I take various meds for and feel I'm extremely insulin resistant, so I'm so hoping this is going to help me.

I have a gym membership where I can go and ride the recumbent bike some and hope to do that at least twice/week. But trying to find other sitting exercises I can do to burn even more calories.
  • shirleydawson
    shirleydawson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    HisangeG, sure I'll join you in doing some wheelchair/sitting exercises. I need to know some to do and what the calorie burn is. I'll try to surf the net and help find something.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I was in a wheelchair an entire year before they did surgery and I bought weights, bands for exercise and you can always move to the ground for sit ups....