Broader shoulders

Options
I would like to broaden my shoulders. What are some good workouts to make them appear broader and stronger?

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I would love to trade you! I get told I have broad shoulders all the time... not from fat or whatever just big. Annoying! I wouldn't mind it if I was a bit more muscular. Or if it was slimmed down enough so I don't look so silly in sleeveless dresses.
  • johnnybutt76
    Options
    Shoulder presses , shrugs, rows, and lat pull downs. Widening the back will make the shoulders look wider as well.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Shoulder presses , shrugs, rows, and lat pull downs. Widening the back will make the shoulders look wider as well.

I second this, but would add in high pulls too. Those things are monsters for your rear delts. Upright rows can be great too, so long as you don't pull up so high that you put your elbows in a screwball position.

Shrugs are very important for trap development. You can improve your delts all you want, but without a solid set of traps, your upper body looks really funky from the side. Weak trap are also the number one cause of 'bench body'. You know those guys who have massive chests, but look all slumped forward and ****? Yeah, that.
  • MidNightAngel34
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies. I'm trying to bulk my muscles up a little. I've done the body frame test, did my calorie guide, so now all thats left is the exercise portion of it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great replies. I'm trying to bulk my muscles up a little. I've done the body frame test, did my calorie guide, so now all thats left is the exercise portion of it.

Hehe. Yeah, planning is the easy part. Then again, lifting isn't all that hard either. Just find what works for you. :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Of course shoulder exercise will help fill out the delts but I noticed a difference in my shoulder width from doing rows, rear delt flies and lat pull downs. I think it was more to do with pulling my posture into a more upright/shoulders back position. The firmer lats seem to hold my arms out slightly from my sides and give an appearance of wider shoulders as well.

The biggest factor (contributing to the appearance of wider shoulders) was a smaller waist but this is just optical and not actually making my shoulders wider. :laugh:

Edited for drmerc LOL