Fat Kid turned Trainer, looking to help!

Options
kentmac
kentmac Posts: 101 Member
Hey Guys!

My name's Kent. MFP was an immensely useful tool for me over the last few years when I decided it was time to lose some weight and get in shape. I've since then become a certified personal trainer and nutrition coach, and now I'm looking to give back to this amazing community!

Feel free to add me as a friend and send me a message, or you can post questions here! You can also post questions on my Facebook page, www.facebook.com/kentmccannfitness (it has much better mobile support, so if I'm not at a computer, I could still field those questions easily.)

So you know, the more detail you can give me in your questions, the better. Age, height, weight, activity level, goals, exercise plan, etc.

I look forward to helping some of you guys out!

Edit: I work full time as an EMT, kinda weird hours, so I apologize if I take a bit getting back to questions some of the time. I'll do my best to stay on top of it though!

Kent McCann
Personal Trainer + Nutrition Coach

Replies

• tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I don't have any questions yet. But I will add ya in case I ever have any :o)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for giving back to the MFP community! It's great to have people to go to with our quirks and questions. :)
  • kentmac
    Options
    Thanks for giving back to the MFP community! It's great to have people to go to with our quirks and questions. :)

It's really my pleasure!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do a metabolism reset. I have been on a calorie deficit since July and haven't lost any weight. Maybe a 1-2lbs but I "should" have been losing 1/2 lb a week.
    I am 5'1.5" and currently weight 137ish. I'm at around 23% bf and I have a bigger body frame.

Anyway, do you think resets really work?

I've gotten down to 127 last year, but I was new here and was on a high deficit (about 800-1200 net a day) and gained back.
    The beggining of this year I got down to 130 & 19% bfwhile doing p90x2 and I've gained it back again.

Ahhh~ Help please?

[PS] If you go through my diary you'll note I haven't exercised and my food is pretty crappy as of late. I'm moving in 3 days, so stuffs been hectic. I plan to get back on my routines next week after I get everthing settled in. :)
    I have a spin bike and I like to lift. I actually like lifting better than cardio. D:
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you're so willing to help people! I'm so confused about just EVERYTHING. Mostly because I don't know what goals I should be setting or what I really want/need to do in terms of fitness...and without goals, I can't really work to achieve anything, leaving me confused about what I'm here for...if that makes any sense...
  • kentmac
    Options
    I'm trying to do a metabolism reset. I have been on a calorie deficit since July and haven't lost any weight. Maybe a 1-2lbs but I "should" have been losing 1/2 lb a week.
    I am 5'1.5" and currently weight 137ish. I'm at around 23% bf and I have a bigger body frame.

Anyway, do you think resets really work?

I've gotten down to 127 last year, but I was new here and was on a high deficit (about 800-1200 net a day) and gained back.
    The beggining of this year I got down to 130 & 19% bfwhile doing p90x2 and I've gained it back again.

Ahhh~ Help please?

Yes, I believe that diet breaks are necessary and can help speed up metabolism. I would slowly increase your calories up to maintenance levels (add 100 a day til you get to there,) stay there for a week, and then taper back down until you reach a reasonable deficit.

Here's a relevant article about why diet breaks can be useful: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

It's a bit of a read, but definitely chock full of good information worth thinking about.

Best of luck!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Do you think that is enough time? I've read of some people doing it for months!

[EDIT] Oh nvm, it's in the article. lol Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • kentmac
    Options
    It's awesome that you're so willing to help people! I'm so confused about just EVERYTHING. Mostly because I don't know what goals I should be setting or what I really want/need to do in terms of fitness...and without goals, I can't really work to achieve anything, leaving me confused about what I'm here for...if that makes any sense...

Haha it makes perfect sense! Think not just about what you want, but WHY you want it.

Until you know what you want, of course you're going to be confused! Until then, keep active and eat whole foods... no point in eating poorly just because you're not sure what direction you're going in, right?

Once you know what you want, how to get there will become more clear :-)

Best of luck!
  • raejay621
    Options
    I'm going to add you as a friend.

I'm 5'5 and currently 246.3 pounds as of last Friday. My ultimate goal is to weigh 160ish. I know I will still be "overweight" for my height but I was that size two years ago and I loved the way I looked. I have started drinking a green smoothie in the morning for breakfast as a meal replacement. I try and work out three times a week but somedays I'm not able to make it to the gym. I have a 1 year old and he takes up a lot of my time. What are some other things I can do to help with losing weight? I've lost 4 pounds since I started back using MFP two weeks ago. I think I'm on the right track but I think I could be doing more. This past weekend I had very poor eating habits. I think seeing that I lost 4 pounds, I was so excited and just went left. How do I get back right?

Thanks. :)

ETA:
    Short term goal: 20 pounds by Christmas
    Long term goal: 90 pounds by June 21, 2013
  • kentmac
    Options
    Thanks! Do you think that is enough time? I've read of some people doing it for months!

If your immediate goal is still fat loss, then yeah, 7-10 days at maintenance should be fine.

If you're interested in losing weight, building muscle, and generally creating a better overall physique (which is a very reasonable thing to do at 23% for a woman,) you could eat around maintenance and do some strength training to build muscle / create a small deficit. This would take longer to reach lower % body fat, mind you, but you'd have more muscle to show when you got there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey thanks for the offer. i'm curious to your thought on this question:

my weight loss has pretty much stalled for the past 3 -4 months BUT i'm losing fat regularly and going down in clothing sizes so i'm not even worried about the scale anymore even though i technically have about 30 pounds to my goal weight and 3 more sizes to lose until i reach my goal size.

my main workouts is with weights (strong lifts 5*5) with some running and cardio. i eat anywhere from 500-1000 calories less than my TDEE on a daily basis depending on how hungry i am.

so, what's going on with the lack of weight loss even though i'm noticeably shrinking? is the amount of weight from the fat loss just being replaced with pure awesome?
  • kentmac
    Options
    I try and work out three times a week but somedays I'm not able to make it to the gym. I have a 1 year old and he takes up a lot of my time. What are some other things I can do to help with losing weight?

A smoothie for breakfast works great, but you still need to eat healthy during your other meals. Even if you can't weigh and measure everything, try to get a good serving of protein + veggies with each meal to fill you up for not too many calories.

Other than that, it's a matter of time + consistency! As far as the gym goes, go when you can, but don't beat yourself up over it. I'll skip a day here and there if I feel too pressed for time, I just shift my routine around to accommodate.
    I've lost 4 pounds since I started back using MFP two weeks ago. I think I'm on the right track but I think I could be doing more. This past weekend I had very poor eating habits. I think seeing that I lost 4 pounds, I was so excited and just went left. How do I get back right?

Always remember, it's the way you eat and live 80% of the time that will determine how you look and feel. If you have a bad meal or even a bad weekend, it doesn't mean you've ruined your progress, so just hop right back on that bandwagon and keep going!
    ETA:
    Short term goal: 20 pounds by Christmas
    Long term goal: 90 pounds by June 21, 2013

Sounds reasonable, but keep in mind the weight loss will likely slow down as you reach your goal. 20 lbs by Christmas should be doable with some good work on your part, but expecting to maintain more or less the same rate of weight loss all the way til next June is a bit lofty.

Take it one step at a time. Don't "diet," instead, make changes to your lifestyle and habits, that way the results will stay with you forever. Also, be patient... I know it's a lot to ask, but if you try to rush weight loss too fast, you'll burn out physically and emotionally. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna add thanks.

I'm trying a macro cycle as follows:
    Weights days - Protein 40/Fat 40/Carb 20 (4 days a week)
    Cardio Days - Protein 30/Fat 20/Carb 50 (2 days a week)
    Off Day - Protein 30/Fat 30/ Carb 40 (1 day a week)

I'm eating my TDEE less 500 calories (1450). Do you think cycling like this helps?

ETA more interested in losing body fat than weight (although I'll take the weight :wink: ). I'm currently 146 pounds BMI 24 but 30% fat so bad!!!
  • kentmac
    Options
    hey thanks for the offer. i'm curious to your thought on this question:

my weight loss has pretty much stalled for the past 3 -4 months BUT i'm losing fat regularly and going down in clothing sizes so i'm not even worried about the scale anymore even though i technically have about 30 pounds to my goal weight and 3 more sizes to lose until i reach my goal size.

my main workouts is with weights (strong lifts 5*5) with some running and cardio. i eat anywhere from 500-1000 calories less than my TDEE on a daily basis depending on how hungry i am.

so, what's going on with the lack of weight loss even though i'm noticeably shrinking? is the amount of weight from the fat loss just being replaced with pure awesome?

Haha "replaced with pure awesome," well put!

I think the scale is a horrible tracking device for anyone who is already fairly close to their goal. Keep doing strong lifts, eat enough to fuel your performance (it sounds like you are,) and give it time, you're definitely on the right path.
  • raejay621
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response and for telling me that the 90 by June isn't as cut and dry as I thought.

I have one more question. Do you think the 30 day shred would be a good thing to incorporate into my weekly routine? Do you think it will be too much on me, physically and emotionally? I was thinking of that particular video because I hear so many good things about it and I can just YouTube the video without having to spend any money.
  • kentmac
    Options
    Definitely gonna add thanks.

I'm trying a macro cycle as follows:
    Weights days - Protein 40/Fat 40/Carb 20 (4 days a week)
    Cardio Days - Protein 30/Fat 20/Carb 50 (2 days a week)
    Off Day - Protein 30/Fat 30/ Carb 40 (1 day a week)

I'm eating my TDEE less 500 calories (1450). Do you think cycling like this helps?

Cycling is a great idea, but it works best if done in concert with your strength training. Keep protein high (30-40%) every day, but then do higher carb lower fat on strength training days and higher fat lower carb on your other days.

I actually put up an article recently explaining a bit more in detail why this can be beneficial. Give it a read here: http://www.kentmccannfitness.com/2012/09/13/5-leangains-lessons-for-non-fasters/
  • kentmac
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response and for telling me that the 90 by June isn't as cut and dry as I thought.

I have one more question. Do you think the 30 day shred would be a good thing to incorporate into my weekly routine? Do you think it will be too much on me, physically and emotionally? I was thinking of that particular video because I hear so many good things about it and I can just YouTube the video without having to spend any money.

In all honesty, I have no experience with it. If it fits well into your life in terms of time and accessibility, I say giving it a shot can't hurt! If you find it burns you out, just leave it be. Having a 1 year old adds more cardio to your life than most people get going to the gym 3 days a week!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old, in good health other than being overweight, 5'7. I currently weigh 285. I work out about 3 hours a day/6 days a week. How many calories do you think I should be eating? I have been losing about 2.5 lbs a week and I wanna keep it that way. I was trying to eat 1500-1600 cals a day but felt hungry. My workouts typically burn 2500-3000 cals so I increased to 1700-1800 cals a day and sometimes up to 2000 even. I wanna make sure I'm eating enough but still keep losing at least 10 lbs a month.
  • kentmac
    Options
    Sorry guys, gotta call it quits for tonight. Worked a 12 hour shift today, pretty burnt out.

I'll get back on tomorrow to answer more!

Kent McCann
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry just gotta bump this for now. there is so much to read.

Cheers and thanks for all the info already and I haven't even asked a question.