Peeling nails - advice

Options
Sorry this is a really silly thing to ask about, but since being on this journey my nails have started to peel. I am eating well and taking a multivit, also using nail envy but it is getting worse, any advice

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Mine started peeling at the tips after wearing nail polish for the first time in a long long time. So I filed the peely bits at the tip flat with the rest of the nail (so there were no tempting peeling bits to pick at really) and use hand cream to try and keep them less dry. Time will tell.
  • lx_moss
    lx_moss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hadn't had that problem and I've been eating the same for 2 years. They started peeling last month. I filed them down and have been puttin Burts bees cuticle oil on them everyday. It seems to be helping. No idea why this happened either.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Peeling nails can be a sign of malnutrition. Maybe you're not absorbing your multi-vitamin well (some people don't). Are you getting enough nutritients from your daily diet? Are you eating enough calories? When I was at 1400 calories a day, my hair started falling out. Turns out, my BMR was around 1700 at the time and I wasn't eating enough for my body to support normal functions...so it stopped caring about the hair in order to use the calories for other things.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    try switching to a prenatal vitamin....they do wonders for hair and nails.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    nuts and jellycubes if you can face them :)

Could also just be the way you cut/filed them? If i cut my nails down short they tend to split or flake easier so i used to let them grow.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Jello sugar free and lots of it --- it is only 10 calories a pot the gelatin is great for nails and hair
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough B vitamins and just keep your nails really short so they're less likely to break off.
    Also best to use gloves when cleaning, the soap can make your nails brittle.

I use nail strengthener. It's a type of nail polish, that strengthens your nails. It's transparent and can usually be found among the other nail polishes in your local store. Works quite well for me.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, but then I discovered a while ago that I had been going too low fat for a long time. I've been increasing good fats in my diet and have been taking a hair and skin vitamin for two years. Also, a nail tech told me that many nail products designed for brittle or weak nails actually make the problem worse. She recommended using brands like Mavala (hard to find) or Barielle. Barielle started out with a formula originally used to condition horse hooves and which also turned out to make the horse handler's nails healthy and strong. They have a full line of hand/nail creams and polishes. I've been using a Barielle nourishing base coat that holds up well and doesn't seem to dry my nails. They're still ridged but are stronger and grow longer than they did about a year ago.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're eating well - how many calories? What macros? Peeling/breaking/weak nails is a common sign of malnutrition.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Biotin. Collagen. Food based multivitamin for better absorption.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally see this in those who are not eating enough calories or on a very low fat diet. How many calories are you eating and how much fat are you eating?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Things I associate with thin/slow growing nails are not enough protein in my diet, and, if I have IBS.
    If I have IBS symptoms, my nails show it...and when the IBS clears up...my nails immediately grow again.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem... maybe it's because I haven't made any Jello lately. :sad:
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How is your fat intake? And I mean the good kind from nuts, seeds, avocados, certain oils, etc... Having healthy amounts of good fats can really help skin, hair, and nails :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It's made an amazing difference in both my nails and hair quality.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Things I associate with thin/slow growing nails are not enough protein in my diet, and, if I have IBS.
    If I have IBS symptoms, my nails show it...and when the IBS clears up...my nails immediately grow again.

That's interesting, do you think it's a malabsorption thing?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Actually, no.
    I think that IBS is so energy draining, that the body prioritized healing there.
    So nails are not nearly as important.
    The effect on my nails is so consistent.
    And of course, better skin is also soon noticed, when the IBS subsides.
  • spud_chick
    Options

Actually, no.
    I think that IBS is so energy draining, that the body prioritized healing there.
    So nails are not nearly as important.
    The effect on my nails is so consistent.
    And of course, better skin is also soon noticed, when the IBS subsides.

Thanks for sharing. I've had lifelong gut issues and my nails have been ridged and wavy since I was a teenager. Interesting to think about these together.