Protein

candacepainter
candacepainter Posts: 115
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What happens if you eat too much protein?

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Depends? are we talking a few hundred calories over, or you polished off 50 chicken wings at Hooter's?
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    50 chicken wings at Hooter's?

Oh that sounds good....:drinker:
    Ok, not fair no mentioning chicken wings anywhere on this website....mmmmmmmmm...
    :happy:
  • about 100 over
  • cindyxh
    cindyxh Posts: 28 Member
    I heard on television the other day that too much protein can have the same effect as too little calcium. It can make your bones brittle and more susceptible to breaking.
  • iplayoutside19
    about 100 over

I think you'll be fine, the default protien on MFP is set a little low anyway.

In fact I'm probably going to start taking a protien supplement because I have a hard time getting all that I need w/o blowing the cholesterol out of the water.

I estimate 50 Wings at Hooter's to be north of 10,000 calories. Do they still sound good? :bigsmile:
    Although I have a 44 mile relay race in April, I might partake in them after that...just not 50.
  • iplayoutside19
    I heard on television the other day that too much protein can have the same effect as too little calcium. It can make your bones brittle and more susceptible to breaking.

I'm sure there was a study that they took out of context. Too much of anything will cause problems for you....like food in general, which is why most of us are here.
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    I agree that the protein level set on MFP are low. It is ok to go a little over in protein, especially if you are being active. I asked about this recently and was assured that your body will just get rid of the excess protein. Also I have heard that you should have one gram of protein for every pound you weigh IF YOU ARE WORKING OUT, however that seems like a lot to me.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Lots of protein is good unless you have an existing kidney problem. If your goal are the default ones set by MFP they are probably too low anyway so I wouldn't worry.
  • jay3261550
    jay3261550 Posts: 3 Member
    I agree that the protein allowance on MFP is low! It is the only thing I go over on just about everyday. Too much protein can be harmful for someone with kidney problems. It can also cause your body to use up its supply of calcium, therefore there is less for your bones causing them to be more brittle. There is even some research that suggests it can worsen allergies.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    If you're an active person or on an excercise plan, it would be very hard to get "too much protein." Bodybuilders and athletes have upwards (or over) 200g/day with no adverse effects--this is because of the high level of activity. The only time that level of protein could be harmful is if you have kidney problems or diabetes.

The MFP program is set very low (ideal for those of us with desk jobs & very little time for exercise); personally, my protein goal is 100-150g and I rarely make it there without overdoing my calories or cholesterol, but it's something to shoot for. As long as you're within your calorie goal for the day, don't sweat it! You might consider going in and raising your daily protein goal--especially if that extra protein made you feel healthy, full, and gave you energy to work out, etc.
This discussion has been closed.