Fruit sugars

Options
Okay i am completly confused. Sugar in Fruit = Good or BAD = Count the sugar or dont???? confused. My husband loves fruit but he is only allowed 24 sugars and with his fruit this takes him over.

ADVICE PLEASE

Replies

• kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about any sugars coming from fruit. It's the sugars from sweets, etc. that I get concerned about. If that's all you're eating throughout the day, that's a different story. I asked my doctor about it and he said, "Fruit is good. Eat away!" and I am even pre-diabetic.
  • mdavies1952
    Options
    Okay i am completly confused. Sugar in Fruit = Good or BAD = Count the sugar or dont???? confused. My husband loves fruit but he is only allowed 24 sugars and with his fruit this takes him over.

ADVICE PLEASE

Please help I like fruit :smile:
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains natural sugars (as opposed to processed). If he has a medical need to keep is sugars this low, he should consult his doctor. Otherwise, fruit should be fine.

Some diet programs limit sugar (including fruit) in the first phases, but they are eventually allowed back in. Berries seem to be the first ones they add back in, while bananas are last.

Programs like Weight Watchers consider most fruit as "freebies" and you don't count them at all in your points.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    all sugars are natural.

If it bugs you either a) turn it off in Settings or b) set a higher limit in Custom Goals

Sugar molecule apartheid will get you nowhere.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If he has a medical reason for keeping sugar low, then yes he should control his fruit consumption. There is nothing magicla about fruit sugars that makes them not count. Yes, fruit is healthy overall, fiber, micronutrients, antioxidants. All great, but that doesn't make the sugar in it not sugar because it's fruit, although that idea seems to proliferate here on MFP.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Refined sugars contain chemicals to remove impurities and are use in most foods.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    as long as you are staying withi your carbohydrate and calorie goal. fruit is great. i would see the sugar goal as added sugar only
  • tdavies1980
    tdavies1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :love: Thanks all, so am i correct in thinking that all sugars fruit or otherwise are okay if you stay within your limits.

Or do you just ignor the sugar in fruit?

Sorry i may be a medical secretary but sometimes i just need an easy answer. thanks all xxx
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Refined sugars contain chemicals to remove impurities and are use in most foods.
    Chemicals? ALL FOODS ARE CHEMICALS. Even fruit has all sorts of chemicals in them, heck, the human body is completely made up of chemicals.

As for the OP, all sugar is more or less the same, without a specific medical need to limit it, it's not worth worrying about. As long as calorie goals and overall carbohydrate, protein, and fat goals are being met, it's impossible for sugar levels to not be perfectly fine.