Suddenly, I am constantly hungry

Options
Hello guys and gals,

Somehow, my stomach has managed to do a 180, making me hungry all the time, instead of forcing myself to eat the 1500 calories. Before I went over to a daily 1800 calories a day, I was struggling filling the 1500 calories. But now, I am struggling not to go over the goal limit.

I am always a little bit hungry. I don't drink a lot of water(and never any juices or anything), but even when I do drink a glass or two, it never helps. Anybody knows what to do against this?

I eat 3 meals a day(Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You're only 18 years old. I was always hungry when I was 18 too.

I find that lean protein keeps me full. Oat meal works for me too.

Care to show us your food diary?
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    More meals. You need some substantial snacks in there too. Lots of protein/high fiber stuff. I'll have some egg whites and chicken with salsa and avocado as a SNACK. It's low cal but will fill you UP until lunch. You are young and growing. You need to be eating way more calories actually. You should not be under 2000.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Diary is now public, but most of it is in Dutch.

@graysmom2005, what kind of snacks do you recommend then, that contains lots of protein, and doesn't take long to make(I am a student ^^). I sometimes make an egg white omelet, but that doesn't fill me up even remotely.

As for the calories, I know I'm 18, but pretty much every Cal meter, suggested I eat between the 1700 and 2000 calories. I would not dare eat below that anymore, but really want to lose the weight(1.5 lb a week), so still wish to not eat above that one too.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A Burger King meal for lunch will do that!! You should maybe eat something a bit healthier - something with more bulk and less calories. Fries are probably one of the worst things in my book...
  • JuroNemo14
    Options
    Hahahah I know. I have some problems with saying "no" to junk food.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    3 snacks in between meals 100-200 cals each -proteins -no sugars or refined carbs-they make me hungier....you can add these snack options on your settings page so that you dont go over your daily intake :)

high protein shakes are quick though i have to say for me they dont keep me full long- apple and peanut butter 1 tblsp- glass of milk- peanut butter jelly sandwich-cottage cheese and in-own-juice peaches, cheese and whole wheat or other high fiber crackers, almond based trail mix,
  • JuroNemo14
    Options
    So, protein snacks are the way to go? Interesting, I'll give that a try.

Any suggestions for some healthy, easy to make, protein snacks?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I got really hungry a few weeks ago when it got really cold. I just got back from Amsterdam three days ago - the weather is NASTY and wet. That really does make a different.

I looked at your diary and you have a lot of carbs. They can make you really hungry - I eat oatmeal, which I love, but it makes me hungry two hours later.

Eat more protein and fewer processed carbs. Eat things like eggs and meat and yoghurt. Unprocessed carbs, like muesli, are also much more filling than processed carbs like short cook oatmeal.

I make roast beef rollups on high fiber, low carb tortillas. You can put them on crackers. If you're really ambitious I use large leaves - cabbage or kohlrabi or kale - and use them instead of tortillas.

Hard boiled eggs or egg salad sandwich or just plain egg salad.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

high protein shakes are quick though i have to say for me they dont keep me full long- apple and peanut butter 1 tblsp- glass of milk- peanut butter jelly sandwich-cottage cheese and in-own-juice peaches, cheese and whole wheat or other high fiber crackers, almond based trail mix,
    Edited by Mistyblu08 on Wed 10/17/12 04:55 AM

oooo another one lol cheese stick rolled up in a ham slice -yummmmm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

boiled eggs
  • cyberpuzz
    Options
    Drinking lots of water definitely keeps hunger at bay - thirst is often mistaken for hunger, so stay hydrated. I learnt that when I did Weightwatchers a few years ago....and need to stick to it myself!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary... Your eating like 500 calories a day or less some days. Are you just not logging it or are you starving yourself?

Simple. Eat cleaner for more volume. If your truly hungry you'll eat fruit, veggies and whole grain. If your only craving fat, carbs or sugar and wont eat anything else...that not real hunger and you should not cave to it.

391051_10150478463178106_325559688105_9089193_339848231_n.jpg

NYTfoodgraphpicfull-1.jpg
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Replacing high calories foods with lower calories, bigger bulk ones is my way of not feeling hungry all the time (it took me a long time to get used to not feeling full all the time and to realise that not feeling full is NOT the same as feeling hungry - I don't think I've felt hungry in the last ten years!!).

Things I do:

1. Lately Kinder Bueno is my treat of choice, but last night, instead of having two fingers of Kinder at 240 calories, I cut up some melon - 400g (yes, that's almost half a KILOGRAM of melon) gave me 144 calories. I actually felt a bit over-full afterwards to be honest, but it was good and I was glad that I didn't have space to have the Kinder too.
    2. I balance out lunch and dinner with a bit of carbs and protein. I aim for around 80g of rice / pasta / whatever carb I am making (raw weight generally). I make up for the lack of "space" with loads of veggies, so in my pasta and mince, I overdo it with the veggies and keep the pasta down.
    3. Use fats, but use them sparingly - if I make food using no oil at all, it's not as satisfying as food with a little bit (VERY little bit).
    4. I keep diet cold drinks around (not a big fan of soda, but sometimes I just feel like something, rather than actually being hungry).
    5. I also keep snacks around like Babybel Light (only 40-odd calories in a little cheese), Laughing Cow Extra Light (although I'm not convinced), Snack-a-Jacks, Sun-Bites. And obviously logged it ALL if I do have any of it.

During the day, as I'm at work, I do have coffee when I feel hungry, but I have just coffee with no milk or sugar, so despite having the dehydrating effect, it does keep me satisfied through the worst of it.

I think it's just a case of looking at your diary and seeing where the BIG calorie numbers are and seeing what you can do to have it fill the same space on your plate for less calories. And then having a bit more...

(My lunch today was leftover pasta + mince + veggies from last night and it came in around 550 calories and was MUCH more satisfying than Burger King - and the beauty of it, is that even if I had to have the same meal twice if I was super-hungry (couldn't), I would consume less calories than a BK meal).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are any kind of active, even 2000 calories won't be enough. I am 5'11, 192 @ 12% body fat and for me to cut fat, I eat 2600-2800 calories a day. High protein, moderate carbs and fat. But eating junk food and lots of sugar will increase hunger as well.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My son is just turned 19 and is in college and he loves protein bars and fruit for snacks. He also always carries a water bottle around with him so he doesn't mistake thirst for hunger. It's hard for him to find healthy food on campus (he hates the dining plan at school), so he likes to keep healthy food in his dorm room. He makes whole wheat toast and puts crunchy peanut butter on it. Whole wheat tortillas with extra protein are another favorite of his. He will also make chicken in a skillet and put it on a whole grain bun when he is at home. He has very basic cooking skills and manages to make good choices when at home. When he is at school it's a bit more challenging.
  • Andrea3030
    Options
    Why is none of the food in the stomach picture chewed? I get the premise but the picture is silly.
  • JuroNemo14
    Options
    So, should I stop eating 1700, and go to 2000?
    I am just afraid I won't experience much weight loss then, or veery slowly. I like the idea of losing a pound a week, so that I could get a good figure before next summer holiday.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So, should I stop eating 1700, and go to 2000?
    I am just afraid I won't experience much weight loss then, or veery slowly. I like the idea of losing a pound a week, so that I could get a good figure before next summer holiday.

How much do you exercise and how tall are you? Also, most guys cut around 2500-3200 calories. Most women I help, eat 1700-2000. If you exercise or are active, 2000 will be too little. Also, it's not about weight loss, it's all about fat loss. When you under eat, you lose muscle as well.
  • mnearing2000
    Options
    Eat complex carbs, drop all added oils. Drop meat, dairy, and eggs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Eat complex carbs, drop all added oils. Drop meat, dairy, and eggs.
    Are you joking or serious? If serious, this would be bad advice. Carbs don't provide nearly the satiety value as meat (protein provides the greatest satiety value, followed by fat). Fat is very healthy for you and can increase brain function, as well as many other great things. And complex carbs do NOT prevent muscle loss... protein does.... and you get that from meat and eggs and even dairy.