How do you celebrate Christmas? (For those who do)

Options
2»

Replies

• matthew67899
    matthew67899 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am from a small town in Michigan. Growing up, my family always went to Christmas Eve Mass (we are Catholic) and afterwards we had a huge dinner with everyone from my Mom's side. She was one of 8 children in her family so there were many aunts, uncles and cousins to be with along with my Grandmother. Once we got home, we opened all of the presents we had bought for each other within the family.

Christmas morning we opened all of our presents from Santa Claus and took it easy for the most part. My father's parents had both died when I was really young so he would call his brother and sister but most years we didn't make the trip to see them. We usually had Christmas dinner with just our own family.

These days, being single, I make the two hour drive to spend the holiday with my sister's family on Christmas Eve. Dinner is first after I get there and then we go to Christmas Eve Mass. When we get back we'll usually play a board game or card game together. My brother-in-law has read "The Night Before Christmas" and "The 1st Christmas" stories to my four nieces since they were little and even though they are all older now, they are still read. Then, we turn out all the lights except for the Christmas tree and a few candles and have a Merry Christmas champagne/sparkling juice toast and eat some cookies. Everyone turns in for the night and Christmas morning is celebrated much like I remember from when I was a kid only my sister has started a tradition with cinnamon rolls for breakfast every year.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As an adult things are much different - Christmas eve we usually get together with my brother & his family & I bake & decorate christmas cookies with my youngest nieces for them to leave out for Santa. Then we have a meal (sometimes ham, sometimes ribeye roast) and open gifts afterwards. Later that evening we are home (just us & the kids) and my daughter & I bake my grandmothers traditional stolen to have for breakfast Christmas morning. Christmas morning, we see what Santa brought (yes I'm almost 45 & he still brings me stuff too!) and spend the rest of the day relaxing or playing ping pong or board games. We usually have leftovers that night as there's usually PLENTY! Somewhere we squeeze in time with the BF's family depending on what day of the week everything falls on. At his family's place it's one big potluck. Afterward the kids all find a spot to sit & someone distributes the gifts, which the kids then proceed to tear into & in a matter of minutes we're all sitting in a pile of torn wrapping paper with shreeks of delight emitting from all; young & old! Happy times & good memories being made! Bring on Christmas!!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner, open presents and sit by a christmas tree that we decorate.
  • givenshl
    Options
    I've always just wanted to relax on Christmas Day. I never understood why traveling from here to there was so important on this day. When I was a child all I wanted to do was stay home and enjoy my gifts but Mom would drag me out to visit so many people by the time we returned home I didn't feel like doing anything. My Husband likes to do the same thing, go here and there on Christmas dragging myself and our kids along.

Well this year will be different. Christmas Eve will be our travel day and Christmas Day will be our Family home time to enjoy together. I have not planned a menu yet since I have not even gotten finish with Thanksgiving, I have to host the Family Dinner.
  • MARTYJOE48
    MARTYJOE48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh my how the tears flowed when I read this. Much prayers to you - may you and your family have a great memory lane Christmas. Okay new to the posting part but the person who reads this will know who it's for. :0
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    For the past 4 years we have went to Great Wolf Lodge for a Christmas Vacation :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Go to church ( well, when i was in India ) Here in the US , go to friend's home for a humongous lunch, then to another friend's home for a humongous dinner. LOL!!!
    Then come home and pass out on the couch. With my friends camping out throughout the house.

The next day, my friends and I get together and open presents when we wake up.
    BIG BREAKFAST after!!!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We bake cookies for our neighbors. My parents did this.but with Indian sweets...to all of our family and neighbors. We all get new outfits. (outside of hubby) and go to Candlelight service..then dinner..the the girls get to open on present. Once everyone is asleep...Santa puts out all is stuff around 3-4 AM..We get up around 9-10 (since the girls are now older) and open all of the stockings and Santas presents..we then change out of jammies into sweats..then a great breakfast..the we open presents under the tree.

The cousins come over and we open more presents..then we eat...we switch off every year..one year..total Indian feast..the next a total American feast..that we we all get our comfort foods.

Then we veg and play with our new toys..
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We have at least 4 dinners starting about 1 week before Christmas to be able to fit them all in. On Christmas Eve we celebrate with my husbands family where there is a huge meal and presents for all the kids plus Santa. On Christmas morning our Church delivers meals to the needy throughout our neighborhood and then my last meal is with my mom and dad. It is very hectic and very busy but it is terrific.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve we go to the pub with friends.
    Christmas Day morning me and my husband exchange our presents and then we go to either my parents of his mums for the day, swap presents and have roast dinner with all the trimmings, play with the kids and watch tv etc.
    Boxing Day we go to whichever parents we weren't at in Christmas Day and eat more food and do presents etc.

I think that's a pretty standard British Christmas!!