eating back exercise cal dilemma..?

Options
hey,
I'm on a set diet plan (diet chef) where all my meals are made in advance so I'm having troubles eating back my exercise cals as I can't really add things to my meals and to be honest don't want to as I'm trying to learn what real portions of things are!

anyway, could I have something like a shake or smoothie to earn my exercise cals back? That way I don't mess with my meals and portioning but am still getting some of the 400 or so I burn with light exercise, I'm on around 1300/1400 atm so don't just want to leave a deficit as it will take me too low.

slim fast shakes are around 220 cals- could this fit the purpose, or even a protein shake?

thoughts please?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Yes?
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    How anal are you about your macronutrients? If you are then you need to find a way to add carbs and fat as well into those shake as to meet those macros as closely as possible.

If I were you I would have my protein shake blended with a banana and peanut butter, then you can alter the quantities so you get your protein, carbs and fat in a shake.

Just my 2 cents...
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I really think that for the present time you are better off not "adding back". Why not wait a few weeks to see if you are losing weight too quickly. I say this because, for the most part, a person has to exercise at a high intensity to have it upset your basic goals. You are paying for a meal plan, so why risk "not losing".

This advice is offered only with kindness and knowing that weight loss is hard to obtain. Let me know what your results are, wishing you the best.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it right now. My opinion is that the people who need to eat back the exercise calories fall into 2 categories.
    1. people who have their base calories at 1200 or so, I'm in that category, I don't eat all mine back, just about 1/2 of them if that.
    I think MFP overestimates calorie burned due to exercise. I try to actually eat about 1500-1600 a day, if I worked out or my FitBit adjustment allows.
    2. people who do a lot of higher intensity exercise and/or a lot of strength training.
    For people just starting to get fit, for whom its walking or doing easier videos, I think its fine to not eat them all. Maybe just add a piece of fruit w small amount of protein, or an extra serving of vegetable. Maybe around an extra hundred calories if you feel hungry.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I might try having a fruit smoothie (as fruit and veg are the 'free' add ons with the plan) and see how it goes, i can add in peanut butter and protein powder if I stop losing or get light headed during work outs ect.

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to learn what normal portions are, then you'll want to be eating normal portions for YOUR exact situation, not normal for a generic 1200 calorie ready-made diet. If your body needs more than 1200, then those portions aren't right for you.

I'm a "if it fits your macros" fan. Make sure your macros are set appropriately, and add foods based on that. If you're low on protein, add protein. Shakes are good for that. Low on fat, add fat. A slice of cheese, glass of milk. Low on carbs, add carbs. Fruit, vegetables, even some pretzels or crackers or a small dessert.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it right now. My opinion is that the people who need to eat back the exercise calories fall into 2 categories.
    1. people who have their base calories at 1200 or so, I'm in that category, I don't eat all mine back, just about 1/2 of them if that.
    I think MFP overestimates calorie burned due to exercise. I try to actually eat about 1500-1600 a day, if I worked out or my FitBit adjustment allows.
    2. people who do a lot of higher intensity exercise and/or a lot of strength training.
    For people just starting to get fit, for whom its walking or doing easier videos, I think its fine to not eat them all. Maybe just add a piece of fruit w small amount of protein, or an extra serving of vegetable. Maybe around an extra hundred calories if you feel hungry.

^This!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I eat back exercise calories if I'm still hungry or am letting myself have a treat (frozen yogurt last night!). I eat back some/all of my exercise calories probably 2 days a week. The other 5 days I eat 1400 cals whether I exercise or not. This has me losing an average of 1lb per week. Of course everyone is different so this is only what works for me and it took me a long time to figure it out.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good Idea me thinks!:flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a professional athlete your shouldn't need to eat back exercise calories unless you have your calorie budget set too low. Your body, especially if you're trying to lose weight, doesn't need to be compensated for a few hundred calories of activity every day. People get way too hung up on compensating themselves for every thing they do. That's life!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    True words people.
    I'm going to have to eat something before I go to the gym as otherwise I wont eat for 8 hours and will be starving!
    will concentrate on quality rather than quantity and look up good pre gym snacks rather than needing to cram an extra 400/600 cals into my day!
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat back my workout calories. Sometimes if I want a snack I will go a little over.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a professional athlete your shouldn't need to eat back exercise calories unless you have your calorie budget set too low. Your body, especially if you're trying to lose weight, doesn't need to be compensated for a few hundred calories of activity every day. People get way too hung up on compensating themselves for every thing they do. That's life!
    I disagree. My base cals are at 1650 and I eat every exercise calorie back and lose weight consistently and predictably. I am not a professional athlete, but I am interested in improving my atletic performance- running faster, lifting heavier, etc. My performance as well as my overall well being suffers when I don't eat enough.

And it wasn't always like this- I actually ate less calories than my baseline when I was gaining weight, because I have thyroid disease and the damaged metabolism that comes with it. It took work to get my metabolism where it is now, and I wouldn't risk further metabolism damage by eating low cal for anything. I never want to be at the point again where the difference of an Oreo shows up on my waistline.