Egg Yolks

Options
Goodmorning fellow MFP'ers!

Quick Question: I sometimes like to use just the egg white portion of the egg and not use the yolk because it has less calories and still good protien. I use a lot more eggs this way, but they are still pretty cheap to buy but I still hate throwing out the yolk. My question is: does anyone have a good idea for what to use these for? Do people save them or use them later or just throw them away? Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I mix them with my dogs food. It is good for their coats. I don't use them for anything other then that.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Amber, thats a great idea. I am going to have to do this since my collie has a coat problem which is currently under control but this would help maintain it too.

I always through the yolks away.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Also, most grocery stores carry 100% liquid egg whites in a carton. I use these & mix them with whole eggs.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! I will have to try mixing them in with my Pug's (Mr Binkers) food. He will LOVE it!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,678 Member
    Options
    I just wash mine down the drain. I used to give them to my dogs, but they were already too heavy, so I figured the extra fat wasn't doing them any favors. Besides, it used to give them the runs. Not fun!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I give them to my dog too! :) I have used them for an occasional zit here and there. I used to do that a lot more when I was younger. Jsut dab it on that sucker and it dries right up.

MY dog loves them though. I just throw the yolk on a paper plate and watch him happily eat it up!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Why not buy egg white rather then spending the money on eggs? You can get a container of natural even organic 100% egg whites - they last in the refrig and then you arent wasting the yolks.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,678 Member
    Options
    Aren't there additives to the containers of egg whites? And is it really more cost-effective than buying whole eggs? I buy five dozen eggs at a time for about $6. That's 60 egg whites at 10 cents a piece.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Thank you all. I will look into the egg white containers- it would def remove some of the hassle of getting the yolk out. But, also egss are pretty cheap and I would like to look into if the boxed ones do have the additives.

Appreciate all of the help :):):)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will look into the egg white containers- it would def remove some of the hassle of getting the yolk out. But, also egss are pretty cheap and I would like to look into if the boxed ones do have the additives.

Appreciate all of the help :):):)

No additives. My carton says "Ingredients: 100% egg whites."
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    It takes about a dozen egg yolks to make creme brulee, and other custard type desserts. If you work in an office, you could bring them in a great dessert every few days. They might not like it once they start packing on the pounds though...

I started buying All Whites for that exact reason. I will sometimes give my dogs egg yolks with their food, but they are only about 15 lbs each, and I don't want them to be fat and unhealthy from eating egg yolks every day.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs everyday so my dogs aren't getting them every day. They could use the added weight anyways.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Mr Binks, being a big fat pug, is a little overweight as it is but I do really like to give him the occasional treat, especially if the egg yolk will be healthy for his coat so I may definetely try this.

No additives in the container of whites!? HMMMMM, I will have to try these!!! :):)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Some GREAT ideas here! I think I'll start making some custard desserts for my co-workers. We have a 'The Biggest Loser' contest going on here at the office!

:devil: *insert evil laughter here*:devil:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Some GREAT ideas here! I think I'll start making some custard desserts for my co-workers. We have a 'The Biggest Loser' contest going on here at the office!

:devil: *insert evil laughter here*:devil:

:laugh: You think like me, I like that.