Thanksgiving Turkey - Free Range or Store Bought?

Options
2»

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My mom switched over from buying regular market turkeys to organic, free-range, turkeys about four years ago.

I've noticed any difference in taste from those to the previous turkeys or any other fresh turkey I eat through out the year. Personally, I don't have the budget to do it, but if it's a moral issue, than go for it.

Also, no matter what kind of turkey you are doing, cook it breast side down for at least the first 3/4 of the cooking time. The breasts are white meat and dry out the easiest when cooking a bird to temp for the dark meat areas. If you cook it breast down, they stay moister and juicier since the juices are draining down into the bird.

Them turn it over for browning the last 1/4 of your cooking time so you get a pretty looking bird.

Also, you don't have to subscribe to the all day cooking at super low heat this way. My mom does two 18 pound birds each year in her oven and they're in there for about four hours, tops. And they're infamous amongst friends and extended family alike for being the moistest turkeys they've ever had. (even before she was buying the organic stuff.)