Having trouble eating all my calories - any food ideas?

Options
lauren3101
lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
My weight loss seems to have stalled over the last few weeks and after a bit of research I decided to top it up to 2000, just above my BMR.

Trouble is I'm having some real trouble eating that now, which is surprising as I used to net about 1600 before so it's only an increase of 400.

I think I eat pretty healthily and always eat my 5 a day, sometimes more. I'm trying to fill those extra cals in a healhy way, however fruit and veg doesn't hold enough of a calorific value to really help and I don't like peanut butter, advacado or nuts (except for salted peanuts) which are the things I've seen posted on here before. I've been trying to fill it with popcorn (home-made and air popped) as I can eat tonnes of that whether hungry or not, but again, it's not great for you.

Anyone got any other ideas? My food diary is open, any opinion appreciated.

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Some people say they're too high in sugar, but have you considered cereal/muesli/granola bars?
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Or maybe even try ditching the low fat milk and sweeteners and going for the real thing?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Cereal/granola bars are a bit high in sugar and to be honest I find them quite filling.

Using semi-skimmed milk and real sugar is not a bad idea, I tend to buy the lower fat variations because they seem better for you.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think that one of the best ways to add calories when you go up like this is to just boost the things you are already eating a little bit so you're not trying to eat almost a whole extra meal or 4 more snacks. For example, I glanced at your diary. For breakfast maybe add a banana to your cereal or a scoop of protein powder. That'll add anywhere from 90 to maybe 150 calories to the meal. Or at dinner, eat a larger portion of salmon.

Edited to add, at the end of the day if you are still low...enjoy a big glass of chocolate milk! Yum!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Fat is not necessarily bad for you. I've actually heard that regular (as opposed to low fat/fat free versions) milk, sour cream, yogurt, etc are better for weight loss because they keep you feeling full longer (although this doesn't seem to be a problem for you). I'd say this would be a good way for you to increase your calories. And of course there's always delicious cheese...add an extra slab to a sandwich or just cut a few chunks to have as a snack with an apple.