Vitamins/Minerals/Supplements - Which Do You Take?

Replies

• issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member

Did you know that Vitamin D is good to assist in losing weight? If you dont take a suppliment, it might be good to try. It also gives you energy! :smile:

This is great to know! I will do some more research on it as well, as I would definitely be ok with adding this to my regime if it gives me these benefits! :smile:
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    I take Omega 3 fish oil, Glucosamine & Chondroitin & MSM and Centrum Advance multi vitamin.
  • issystclaire
    I simply try to eat 80% raw fruits and veggies every day and a product called Juice Plus+ which is just more fruits and veggies. I try and deliver key antioxidants and other phytonutrients that will be absorbed in my body. I look for F&V that reduce oxidative stress, supports my healthy immune system, protects my DNA (aging), and promotes cardiovascular wellness.

Was wondering about the juice+, do you live stateside or in the UK? Would like to find out more about this as I am totally open to drinking anything that gives me more vits and minerals. I am from the US but now live in the UK, and the one thing I really miss from there is V8! When I lost 25lbs previously, I would buy the 6 pack of the tiny can of basic V8, and make sure to chug one everyday (alongside any veg I would eat at dinner.)
  • issystclaire
    I take Omega 3 fish oil, Glucosamine & Chondroitin & MSM and Centrum Advance multi vitamin.

Ah yes, thank you for the reminder!!!!! I started talking glucosamine as well, as I have really achey knees and hips (and I am only 26!) My mom takes it as well for the same issues and I took one month of it. I need to get to the shop and buy some more!
  • mabelbabel1
    I simply try to eat 80% raw fruits and veggies every day and a product called Juice Plus+ which is just more fruits and veggies. I try and deliver key antioxidants and other phytonutrients that will be absorbed in my body. I look for F&V that reduce oxidative stress, supports my healthy immune system, protects my DNA (aging), and promotes cardiovascular wellness.

Was wondering about the juice+, do you live stateside or in the UK? Would like to find out more about this as I am totally open to drinking anything that gives me more vits and minerals. I am from the US but now live in the UK, and the one thing I really miss from there is V8! When I lost 25lbs previously, I would buy the 6 pack of the tiny can of basic V8, and make sure to chug one everyday (alongside any veg I would eat at dinner.)

Do you mean V8 vegetable juice cartons? If so Tesco sells them. :smile:
  • mabelbabel1

Ah yes, thank you for the reminder!!!!! I started talking glucosamine as well, as I have really achey knees and hips (and I am only 26!) My mom takes it as well for the same issues and I took one month of it. I need to get to the shop and buy some more!

That's what I take them for....poorly knees! Holland and Barret have high dose Gluc/Chond/MSM half price but the offer ends tonight online....
  • issystclaire
    Wow, thanks for the tip!!!! I am heading there right now! (H&B is where I got mine from before as well, it is the only place I buy supplements from!)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,649 Member
    B6
    B12
    Folic Acid
    D3
    Fish Oil with Omega 3
    Daily Multi-vitamin
    Chromium Picolinate
    Potassium Glucosamate

Considering adding Glucosamine & Chondroitin; as cold weather approaches I am feeling achy in my joints as I increase my workouts.
  • Biotin for nicer hair
    Iron for anemia

Edit: Vitamin C to help absorb the iron capsules better
  • issystclaire

Omg, you are my fairy godmother tonight, lol! Have never seen them at Tescos but will be on the look our for them now! I love my V8, such an easy way to get more veg in my diet!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Glucosamine-Chondroitin
    Resveratrol
    B Complex
    CoQ10
    Omega 3
    C
    low dose aspirin
    Naproxen sodium

Reflects an older guy's concerns. Joints, swelling, heart health, anti-oxidants
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    I take One a day Fruiti-ssentials and I drink herbal tea. Mostly peppermint tea. No sweeteners
  • mabelbabel1

Omg, you are my fairy godmother tonight, lol! Have never seen them at Tescos but will be on the look our for them now! I love my V8, such an easy way to get more veg in my diet!

Glad to have been able to help! :happy:
  • issystclaire
    Amongst other things, any kind of mint tea is great to aid digestion, or if you have a tummy ache. I use it all the time for that and it works like a charm :smile:
  • issystclaire
    Thanks! :smile:
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    i take a multivitamin with antioxidants in it, also Liver Guard to help cleanse my liver due to fatty liver, it also contains a alpha lipoic acid which helps with with citric acid intolerance, i also talke a Kreb's Cycle chelated mineral supplement, has the other stuff needed to help with my ca intolerance. before i started i was reacting to almost everything i ate with anaphylaxis, i have been on them for almost 6 months with the only reaction being the first couple weeks when i forgot to take it......
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    woman's one-a day, vision vitamin( I have had eye cancer plus retina problems run in the family), Iron, calcium, fish oil, baby aspirin and glusosamine
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Hands down...
    Nutrametrix Isotonic vitamins... 96% absorption in 5-8 minutes... Can't beat it...

Nutrametrix offers a lot of types...which ones specifically? And are any of them over 100% of daily values? IF so, then you are not absorbing all the vitamins within 5-8 minutes. The body cannot fully assimilate these. Dont always believe in what you read.

Now, for myself:
    2000Mg Glucosamine - For my knees
    1000Mg Tonalin CLA - To assist in fending cancer and hardening of the arteries - nothing else is a proven benefit
    1000Mg Acai - to assist in fending off Free Radicals within the body
    2000Mg L-Arginine-Omithine - for prevention of prostate cancer and fending off hypertension

Most mufti-vitamins are crap as your body has a Very low absorption rate with these. Additionally, if you take more than the recommended amount, you risk screwing up your body. It is best suited to ask your doctor or pharmacist as to what may or may not be safe, pending other medications you might be taking.

EDIT: I almost forgot - 1000Mg of Fish Oil - for Omega3 benefits.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Way too many, but I am letting certain ones run out..

Woman's Multi + herbal & minerals
    calcium + mag + d3
    CoQ10 (may or may not continue, just pricey) *
    hawthorn
    ginkgo
    chromium
    veg glucosime/msm (allergic to fishies)
    cyanne (may or may not continue - not really giving me the energy i was hoping and does give me heartburn) *
    garlic
    cherry fruit (supposed to be good for joints, not really doing anything & i'm gonna let it run out) *
    ashwagandha
    niacin (need to get chol checked as that's why i was taking it - if it's good, I'm stopping it)
    fiber supplement (powdered and pill form about 12g a day)
    herbal water pill as I retain alot of water (swollen feet) if i miss more than a day, i feel like crap
    protein isolate (normal whey makes me sick - lactose intolerance)
    flaxseed pills (again the fishie problem)

I tend to now only take one of each minus the glucosime, that i still take twice. Most of them do state up to 6 a day, but that's alot and ALOT of money, so I'm lowering the amounts to see if I notice any difference or not.

Alot of these are taken for certain issues - heart & high blood pressure, low good chol, control blood sugar, help with joint pain.
    I really don't like taking precs meds, so I go herbal route, but damn it can be pricey. I use Vitacost.com or walmart for most of everything.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Amongst other things, any kind of mint tea is great to aid digestion, or if you have a tummy ache. I use it all the time for that and it works like a charm :smile:

exactly! I prefer peppermint from regular mint though. I find it more effective.