Boobs hurt when running - advice please!

Options
I've finally started the couch to 5k after threatening to for ages. I've been putting it off because jogging really hurts my boobs. I am 36G so pretty big up top. A lot of sports bras don't go up to my size and those that do feel less supportive than a regular bra. Lately I've been wearing two bras - one ordinary wired bra with a sports bra over the top. This reduces bounce though isn't terrible comfortable (and can the wires do me some damage when I'm running?).

The bra I wore on Monday had a seam down it and made one of my nipples bleed. Ouch! Tonight I will be running with nursing pads taped in place and copious amounts of baby butt-cream to reduce friction. To make things worse I am still breastfeeding so I am already very sensitive and they are a bit heavier than normal.

Any advice, please? Any suggestions of bras or clothing or any magical trick you know to make this better? I really want to do this but I don't want to put myself off with pain.

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It's a bit difficult without knowing which continent you live on, but basically a good sports bra will really batten it all down. If you;re in the UK Less Bounce have an online shop, and can specifically recommend a bra based on your size and the acttivity that you plan on doing. If you're in the States hopefully someone can recommend a US supplier.

I have both Freya underwired and Shock Absorber 'Run' bras, and the latter of the two is the most comfortable. It has no internal seams to rub, and a halter fixing as well as the back strap.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a specialty store for foundation garments? I think you will find what you are looking for there, the average store wont have what you need. A good bra will cost a small fortune but will be worth the investment.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do not have any personal experience but my larger busted friends swear by Enell brand bras.

There are also lots of articles online with reveiws and recomendations.

http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2012/02/the-best-sports-bra-for-big-bu.html

Good Luck and don't give up! You'll find the right bra if you keep looking.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Interested to see what else is advised.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't go by what the bra label says ..... I tried on a so-called "high impact" bra at Kohl's ... what a joke! I jumped up & down a bit in the dressing room.(and I'm not at all big) .... bounce, bounce, bounce. I ended up with a Nike bra (sporting goods store).

A really good quality sports bra will be costly (but worth it) .... buy 1 and wash it out in the sink if you have to.
  • iiwish
    iiwish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Double up. Find a sports bra that claims to be supportive (old navy ones with the wider straps are really good) AND wear a normal bra under it. That's what I do and I'm big up top too. I have one old-ish ugly colored bra that I dedicated just to being a sweaty workout under-bra.
  • BettyJo51
    Options
    I nursed both my children and I would always pump right before exercising (running, weights, whatever) so that I wouldn't be as "full" if that makes sense. Also, try on several bras. I found a Champion brand for high impact that separated in addition to having some padding on the straps so that my shoulders weren't being rubbed raw. It was about $55 but well worth it!

Hopefully I've said something helpful!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far - I am in the UK, sorry I forgot to mention that!

The most effective thing I have found so far is a shock absorber swimsuit! But running in a swimsuit is not comfortable.

I've ordered a couple (didn't have my size in the sports shop) that should come tomorrow to try on. I will check out Less Bounce.

Edited to add: price isn't an issue, anything for comfy boobs!
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    OUCH! Sounds really painful!

My husband had bloody nipples once. Try Glide.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not sure if yo have these where you are, but Enell is he way to go! I am a 38DDD and started running not too long ago. This bra is the best I have found. The 'girls' barely move!
  • lreyenga
    Options
    Not sure about the UK, but I swear by Moving Comfort bras for high impact. In the US, the website Title Nine carries specialty sports bras for large breasted women and has a lot of detail on the support. You could check there and then see if the same bra is sold in UK somewhere.

Best of luck to your girls :)
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am on the larger size myself (was 38DD- now 36D) and have similiar issues with alot of "bounce".

What works for me is wearing a cotton underwire sports bra(Lilyette brand is my favorite) with a
    regular spandex type sports bra over it.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am googling all the suggestions to see what I can get here.

I see one or two places carry Enell but I don't understand the sizes and they are all places I would have to order online from. Can anyone advise on how they fit? Going by ribcage I would need a 3 and by bust a 4, which is the most important measurement?
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Two sports bras at the same time will help, too, although it is a bit constricting.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    Double up. Find a sports bra that claims to be supportive (old navy ones with the wider straps are really good) AND wear a normal bra under it. That's what I do and I'm big up top too. I have one old-ish ugly colored bra that I dedicated just to being a sweaty workout under-bra.

This is what I do too. It works for me! :smile:
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am googling all the suggestions to see what I can get here.

I see one or two places carry Enell but I don't understand the sizes and they are all places I would have to order online from. Can anyone advise on how they fit? Going by ribcage I would need a 3 and by bust a 4, which is the most important measurement?

E:mail Selaine at Less Bounce, she's really helpful and they sell Enell bras.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    36DDD here - shock absorbers keep me locked in :) Run as far as 6 1/2 miles with no painful bouncing.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I wear three sport bars in a size too small. They're the cheap tank top type. My 40DD are squished but secure.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a store that can properly fit you for a bra. Even for those of us who are a little smaller it is invaluable. There is nothing like a good fit.....in any size. :wink:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started out a 42DDD - so I understand! I wore an underwire bra that was too small (38DD) with 2 sports bras over top. And I tightened the shoulder straps down as far as I could.
    Then, I went to a running specialty store and dropped $50 on a Moving Comfort Rebound Racer bra - best investment EVER!