Foods That Help Allergies/Local Honey

Options
Was wondering if anyone else has heard about this?

I have suffered from really bad allergies my whole life - I have always assumed it was genetic, as allergies are supposed to be, but have recently heard a study that links c-section births with allergies (and I am in fact, a c-section birth).

Anyhow though, I moved to London from Texas in 2010 - and ever since I have lived here my allergies have calmed WAY down. I used to wake up almost every morning in Texas with the works - swollen watery eyes, sinus congestion, sneezing, coughing, etc.

I love it here! But the fact remains, I do still get symptoms from time-to-time, granted it is much, much less though. I've notcied it generally occurs when the seasons are changing, as in now, but once it goes all the way warm or cold again, they even out.

Even still, I was wondering about the whole honey theory. Supposedly if you eat one tsp of honey a day from your local area, it is supposed to help you build a natual immunity to the pollens. etc in your area and if you suffer from allergies will help them calm down.

And it just so happens, that not only is there honey local to London, but there is one that manufactures it from bees kept in Hackney - and I live in Hackney in London!

So, I am wondering if anyone else has heard about this, or even tested it out themselves? Or, do you you know of any othe natural foods which are meant to help with allergies?

Replies

• mrguse
    mrguse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've heard it, yes, and eat only local honey because I think it tastes better. Sadly, I haven't noticed any real difference in my allergies.
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of the honey theory, but based on my family's experiences, I do know that changing your location can make a huge difference in your allergies. The plants you're most allergic to may not grow as abundantly in London, or the pollen that bothers you may travel better in an arid climate (i.e. Texas). Then again, if the honey seems to work for you, go for it. <3 honey (I can't see how that would help with my animal allergies, but ah well.)
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I guess it is always worth a try. It's just one tsp a day and I can't see that greatly negatively impacting my calories and such. I will give it a try and see how I fare!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    No controlled study has shown that honey, local or otherwise, helps allergies. The dose in one study was a tablespoon per day (64 calories); 1/3 of the participants dropped out because they did not care for the sweetness.

http://allergies.about.com/od/controversialtherapies/f/honeyallergies.htm

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/does-honey-help-prevent-allergies
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Much of it depends on what you are allergic to... my wife is allergic to ragweed and there is no relief she can find. I'm allergic to cedar in a BAD WAY. I make cedar tea and eat a few cedar berries 2 times a year at Nov. 15 and Dec. 7th and I am symptom free for much of the year. I checked pollen.com on all my bad days to get an idea of what was high those days... not sure if it's available for your area.

Honey never worked for me, but works for several people I know.
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    My boss actually tested this theory as the prescription he was on stopped working. 1 TBSP per day in the evening and in about 3 weeks he was better than he had been on the meds. He still has flair ups from time to time, but he is a believer. My father had good luck with local bee pollin, too. He hasn't had problems for years. I personally don't have bad allergies often so I have never tried either.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The studies don't really support this as the previous poster mentioned, but there is lots of support that regular bee stings help beekeeper's wives from developing an allergy to bee stings. What I was told, as a beekeeper's wife, that doing their laundry I was exposed to just enough venom to trigger an allergy. So by getting stung on a regular basis I could avoid that. So I started helping out with the business. We had 500 colonies- pollination (moving them in to orchards or fields at night) as well as honey.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I have heard this and I eat local honey daily and I do not have a problem with allergies. Local Bee pollen is also another great natural supplement you can use. My MIL takes 1 tsp of bee pollen a day and she swears by it. She blends it into her morning smoothie.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    Very interesting to hear all this, I didn't even know you could take bee pollen supplements!
  • m_shuman
    Options
    Very interesting to hear all this, I didn't even know you could take bee pollen supplements!

It is actually not a supplement it is pollen from the bees themselves. It looks like little round granules of pollen. Your local bee keeper or local honey farm should be able to supply you with them. That is where my MIL gets hers.

Here is a link to and article about it:

http://www.secrets-of-longevity-in-humans.com/bee-pollen-benefits.html
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No controlled study has shown that honey, local or otherwise, helps allergies. The dose in one study was a tablespoon per day (64 calories); 1/3 of the participants dropped out because they did not care for the sweetness.

http://allergies.about.com/od/controversialtherapies/f/honeyallergies.htm

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/does-honey-help-prevent-allergies

"No controlled study..." blah, blah, blah. I get tired of the people that post just to try to discourage people from trying something that has worked for other people. Firstly, studies that get the most funding have to result in a financial benefit to someone somewhere or it likely won't get funded. Since honey producers aren't very organized that kind of research isn't well funded.

Actually there are studies that relate to honey, Royal jelly, propolis (wonderful stuff). Try it, talk to people who've tried it. Do your own research and look beyond just what the doctor says (they know almost nothing about nutrition and even less about disease prevention and natural remedies).

I've cured ALL of my health problems, some of them life-threatening, by diet alone. Is there a study to prove that I am right? Do I care? I know what happened for me and that's all that matters.

Hey, I work in the field of science and, news flash, reductionist science has a lot of shortcomings.
  • issystclaire
    Options

It is actually not a supplement it is pollen from the bees themselves. It looks like little round granules of pollen. Your local bee keeper or local honey farm should be able to supply you with them. That is where my MIL gets hers.

Many thanks for this! :smile:
  • issystclaire
    Options

"No controlled study..." blah, blah, blah. I
    I've cured ALL of my health problems, some of them life-threatening, by diet alone. Is there a study to prove that I am right? Do I care? I know what happened for me and that's all that matters.

Hey, I work in the field of science and, news flash, reductionist science has a lot of shortcomings.

This is how I feel about bikram yoga. I hear a lot of good, but also a lot of bad about it. I practice bikram and it is the first thing I have tired that makes me feel absolutely, fit, healthy, energised, etc.

Yet you get very strong naysayers about it, who fall back on the response of "bikram hasn't been medically proven", etc.

I agree with you. If you try something, and it works for you, then so be it! I will try the honey thing first, then maybe bee pollen as well, and see where it gets me! :-)
  • m_shuman
    Options

Many thanks for this! :smile:

You are welcome! I hope it works for you!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out on honey as an immuno therapy. It will potentially cause anaphylaxis so if you have severe allergies be careful.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I drink tea containing locally grown nettle that is amazing for allergies
  • issystclaire
    Options
    I drink tea containing locally grown nettle that is amazing for allergies
    Where do you get yours from?
  • mrguse
    mrguse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "No controlled study..." blah, blah, blah. I get tired of the people that post just to try to discourage people from trying something that has worked for other people. Firstly, studies that get the most funding have to result in a financial benefit to someone somewhere or it likely won't get funded. Since honey producers aren't very organized that kind of research isn't well funded.
    I agree. Scientifically repeatable, empirical evidence is vastly overrated. I mean, what does that mean against my own personal biases and opinions?

For example, some homeopathic websites say that to counteract LSD, you should eat belladonna. Never mind that it can be poisonous, it may have worked for someone!
    Sure does. Dieting and exercise have a lot of shortcomings, too.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I use local bee pollen and it has really helped my allergies. Maybe honey would work as well but it might need to be raw unprocessed to have the right properties. I am just guessing.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It works, but you have to use a local "raw" honey to get the affect. It takes a couple of months before you start to see a difference, but it does work. I live in South Texas, and the Mountain Cedar in the winter months is brutal (or used to be). I take a spoon of honey every morning and every night and I don't have any problems with Mountain Cedar now.