Burnt 1787 in body pump, is this right??

Options
I took my usual les mills body pump class today. I also have a HRM watch, lately I have burnt 1100 calories. Today I did my normal 1 hour class and burnt 1787!! Thru out I checked my heart rate during breaks and I did up it with the weights. I did sweat like crazy, like beads running down my face sweat!!

I guess my question is, is this right? Am I working myself too hard and what should I do to recover after this type of work out???

I love the les mills classes my gym offers and so far I have completed 4 weeks and lost 15lbs. Can't wait til I weigh in on Saturday!!!

Replies

• HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Wow, I dont have a HRM but Les Mills estimates 560 calories burnt for a Pump class so that is what I have been logging - May be I should beg, borrow or steal a HRM for my next class lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    No, it's not right.

You say HRM watch, so no chest strap?
    What make/model?
    You have to touch the watch to get the HR, so it only knows your HR from that touch?

What did the stats say for avgHR and maxHR for that workout?

What does the HRM have as to your personal stats?
    Gender, age, weight, height, HRmax, VO2max, ect?

Sweating isn't a good indication of any level of exercise. Hotter room, hotter day, more hydrated, body more ready to go, ect all effect sweat.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    In a word, no.

HRMs are only calibrated for steady-state cardio at an elevated heart rate. The will not work for resistance training like Body Pump because the heart-rate spikes. Likewise you can't wear them all day to measure your TDEE, or swimming because they do not transmit through water.

Also remember even the best HRM is only 75% accurate because it uses generic algorithms based on a single biofeedback measure.

When you do use your HRM burn for cardio, to increase accuracy you should take off what you would have burned just lying on the soft, so for an hour's class that would be BMR/24.

You can't go far wrong with recording Body Pump using MFP's "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)", it's what I use for Body Pump :flowerforyou:
  • jagnal
    jagnal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, it's not right.

What make/model?
    You have to touch the watch to get the HR, so it only knows your HR from that touch?

Sweating isn't a good indication of any level of exercise. Hotter room, hotter day, more hydrated, body more ready to go, ect all effect sweat.

Fans were blowing everywhere!

Its a : mio drive + petite
    ECG accurate strapless heart rate watch.
    Its hr, ECG, measures exercise intensity, calories, timer and water resistant.
    Mioglobal.com

I have done other exercises like yoga and personal training sessions and had my watch on and burnt calories range in different numbers. Yoga 30 mins was like 127.
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    Wow, I dont have a HRM but Les Mills estimates 560 calories burnt for a Pump class so that is what I have been logging - May be I should beg, borrow or steal a HRM for my next class lol

That sounds realistic. Clearly by your success you are NOT overcounting exercise calories. Stick with what you are doing, HRM are great for measuring heart rate :) and effort, not as good with calories burned.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No, that's not right. I am hesitant to believe the 1100 number, either- but I don't know your height, weight etc so I can't say for sure- but 1100 cals in an hour is extremely high, and 1787 is not realistic. I would check the calibration on your watch using a treadmill- the calorie burn for walking a mile is well documented- look up online how many calories you would burn in 1 flat mile, and walk on a treadmill with 0% incline for one mile and compare the HRM with the known burn you should get for one mile. .

Edited stupid autocorrect typo. Cals=bald? really???
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HRM IS OMNISCIENT. THAT IS CORRECT. HRM IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE THAN MFP SO I RECORD AND EAT EVERYTHING MY HRM TELLS ME THAT I BURNT.

NEVER DOUBT A HRM. WHATEVER NUMBER IS SAYS IS DOCTRINE. EAT UP. NO ONE CAN LOSE WEIGHT IF THEY ARE NOT USING AN HRM FOR THE MOST ACCURATE CALORIE BURN ESTIMATE ATTAINABLE.

BON APPETITE
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always wear HRM during Body Pump and find it is as accurate for that as when I am doing 'steady state cardio'. The way current releases have been going, Pump is becoming equally a cardio and resistance training workout (my hr gets - and stays - almost as high in the squat/lunge/back tracks as it does in body attack) so I believe the HRM to be as accurate for that. I usually burn around 450 cals in an hour class now I am lifting slightly heavier weights, however my brother who is much heavier than me regularly burns 800 - 900 in the class, and he lifts heavy!

However 1700 in an hour does sounds really really high! However like others have said there are many other program variables that will dictate how much you burn each time, eg. what track from what release, and consequently how much weight you have added etc.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    HRM IS OMNISCIENT. THAT IS CORRECT. HRM IS MUCH MORE ACCURATE THAN MFP SO I RECORD AND EAT EVERYTHING MY HRM TELLS ME THAT I BURNT.

NEVER DOUBT A HRM. WHATEVER NUMBER IS SAYS IS DOCTRINE. EAT UP. NO ONE CAN LOSE WEIGHT IF THEY ARE NOT USING AN HRM FOR THE MOST ACCURATE CALORIE BURN ESTIMATE ATTAINABLE.

BON APPETITE

At first, I didn't think you were being serious...

...but then I realized that you were using ALL CAPS, so it must be true...so...

Seems legit.
  • jagnal
    jagnal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The Les Mills BodyPump is weights and squats and I up and down the weights. I'm 5'4" 264 if that helps. But thanks to you all for feed back!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would give this calculator a shot for another sanity check, it gives the maximum burn based on HR.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I still think the treadmill test is your best bet if you want to calibrate the HRM. Using the formula on this page:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

It should take you about 140 cals to walk one mile at 3-4mph. If your HRM tells you significantly more than that, it's off.
  • heybales
    Options
    No, it's not right.

What make/model?

Its a : mio drive + petite
    ECG accurate strapless heart rate watch.
    Its hr, ECG, measures exercise intensity, calories, timer and water resistant.
    Mioglobal.com

I have done other exercises like yoga and personal training sessions and had my watch on and burnt calories range in different numbers. Yoga 30 mins was like 127.

So you have to touch the sensors to get a reading, that means the HRM has absolutely no idea of what the avgHR was during the whole session, just the high readings right after a hard effort when you got a reading.

Add to that they assume a calculated HRmax value, so they have no idea if that reading is really near a max or not. And women have more chance being 10 bpm outside the calc'd value than in it.

Forget this watch for estimating calories and even knowing avgHR during a workout since it can't have constant measurements.

Use it for spot checks to make sure you are either getting as high a HR as desired for that workout, or if a resting workout that you aren't going over.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0099/2862/files/English_Drive_Petite_User_Guide.pdf?5280
  • heybales
    Options

BON APPETITE

Well of course it is accurate!

Why?

Because it was different calorie burn than any other number I've been given, therefore it must be.

:noway:
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    sounds suspiciously high to me; I'm female and just came back from Pump having burnt 353 calories, and I go heavy on most of the tracks. I know it depends on both the weight you are, and the weight that you lift, but that does seem pretty much impossible to be honest.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I took my usual les mills body pump class today. I also have a HRM watch, lately I have burnt 1100 calories. Today I did my normal 1 hour class and burnt 1787!! Thru out I checked my heart rate during breaks and I did up it with the weights. I did sweat like crazy, like beads running down my face sweat!!

I guess my question is, is this right? Am I working myself too hard and what should I do to recover after this type of work out???

I love the les mills classes my gym offers and so far I have completed 4 weeks and lost 15lbs. Can't wait til I weigh in on Saturday!!!

I can't find your other post, but I think you said you weighed 264 lbs, which is about 120 kg. Putting out a good, sustained effort for an hour at even an above average fitness level would result in a calorie burn of about 800-900 per hour (I am estimating 7-8 METs, which might even be a little on the high side). Given that there is warm up, cool down and some intermittent activity during that type of workout, the actual is probably a little less. And that is perfectly fine--you are working hard at your level. The fact that your actual calorie number is less than the HRM number is just a problem with technology--you are kicking butt and that's all that really matters.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    if you weigh around 823lbs then it might be.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Likewise you can't wear them all day to measure your TDEE, or swimming because they do not transmit through water.

Incorrect. I wear my HRM while swimming and get readings just fine. There are HRMs out there that are waterproof and you can wear them during water aerobics/swimming. I personally own both a F6 and F4 and both work in the water.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6yyr8bepS1qke924o1_500.png

gigglesnort

obviously kidding

i dont have an answer but everytime someone hits a burn over 1000 i feel the need to high five them really loudly.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I burned almost 2000 calories on Sunday, but I had to run 18 miles to do it .. so yeah, I would say the readings are a bit off.