do sauna suits really work

Options
well thats the question lmao do sauna suits really work?
I look at it like this. it makes you hot and sweat. and when im like that my heart reat is always higher. if heart rate is higher and gets higher faster wouldnt that help burn more calories? cause burning calories when you exercise is normally always trying to keep your heart reat up to a certain area.

Just saying faster you het it higher and longer its higher more calories burned?

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    they will make you sweat. that is all.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    To make you sweat and lose water weight? Yes.

Do they do anything else productive? No.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to make weight for something don't bother with them.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options

this.
    This x2. And if you're looking for water weight cutting techniques, there are far more effective ones than sauna suits.

But I do understand your theory, that the body sweating is actually burning more calories than if it wasn't. But I don't think its a worthwhile endeavor
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

But I do understand your theory, that the body sweating is actually burning more calories than if it wasn't. But I don't think its a worthwhile endeavor

I completely agree, that you only want to do it if you're cutting to make weight for a competition, and you know what you're doing and you rehydrate yourself properly after you have weighed in.

On the theory of burning more calories, wouldn't it be better to cool yourself down, so that your body has to use energy to make heat? I'm not recommending this, but surely sitting in a fridge or a freezer would burn more calories?
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I completely agree, that you only want to do it if you're cutting to make weight for a competition, and you know what you're doing and you rehydrate yourself properly after you have weighed in.

On the theory of burning more calories, wouldn't it be better to cool yourself down, so that your body has to use energy to make heat? I'm not recommending this, but surely sitting in a fridge or a freezer would burn more calories?

im under the impression that heart rate is one of the biggest things to watch when burning calories.
    I was just saying when im hot my heart rate is always higher and gets higher faster( everyone could be diff)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    They totally work if you're going for the running garbage bag look in the park :laugh:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The moment you drink a glass of water, the "weight" will be back. The only potential upside of a sauna suite (aside from cutting weight for fight/wrestling) is when you sweat, you sweat toxins through your pores as well... which now means once you start sweating you need to get out of the suit, shower to wash the toxins off before you reabsorb them & wash the suit thoroughly so you don't have mold or other yuck...

Heart rate is good, but as you get more fit, your HR adjusts, I don't pound like I used to a couple years ago yet I workout even harder than ever. Ultimately, a good diet & exercise combo for your body, genetics & goal is what will work long term - you just need to find your "fit"
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    im under the impression that heart rate is one of the biggest things to watch when burning calories.
    I was just saying when im hot my heart rate is always higher and gets higher faster( everyone could be diff)
    Yes and no. If you are exercising, your heart rate will go up with exertion, so there is a correlation between heart rate and calories burned. However, it's not the increased heart rate that's actually causing the increased calorie burn. Your body is working harder, and that is causing both your heart rate to go up and your calorie burn to go up.

Other things will also cause increased heart rate -- feeling excited or panicked, being hot, etc. However, your body isn't working particularly hard to do those things, so you aren't burning very many extra calories.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If you are exercising, your heart rate will go up with exertion, so there is a correlation between heart rate and calories burned. However, it's not the increased heart rate that's actually causing the increased calorie burn. Your body is working harder, and that is causing both your heart rate to go up and your calorie burn to go up.

Other things will also cause increased heart rate -- feeling excited or panicked, being hot, etc. However, your body isn't working particularly hard to do those things, so you aren't burning very many extra calories.

well since most seem to say no ill probably wont invest lmao. Sometimes exercising ill sweat like a pig other says i wont at all :( i like sweating makes me feel like its working lol
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am a heavy sweater.
    sauna has some benefits it shucks your body, detoxify it, it stretch the skin after diving in cold watter. it remoce dead cells from the skin and make it looks shiny.

I still couln't find any true evidencewhy it really exist since long time past. the must be more about it . I don't know.
    But loosing weight no.
    when you are in sauna you body gets warm also when you want to start exercise it is reommended to warm up first. but these two are totally different topics. the same for heart rate.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You get hot when you're heart rate is higher, your heart rate doesn't get higher because you are hot. Yes, they often happen at the same time, but you're mixing up which is causing which. Sweating more and being hot does NOT burn more calories, it just causes you to sweat out all your water, and can be a problem if you don't stay properly hydrated.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

well since most seem to say no ill probably wont invest lmao. Sometimes exercising ill sweat like a pig other says i wont at all :( i like sweating makes me feel like its working lol

go back and reread the orginal response to your question. Sweating is a cooling mechanism, nothing more. It is not an indicator of the quality of a workout, not an indicator of calories burned, etc.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to get into the Marines they made me wear one all the time to lose weight, I'd drop a pound but as soon as I drank water it'd come back on. So they can temporarily help.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Heart rate is one (inaccurate in many cases) means of estimating caloric burn, it's not the actual total burn itself.
  • classicw
    classicw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else.. But I lost weight and continue to lose weight with my sauna suit. I actually love it with my work outs...
  • classicw
    classicw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I truly do
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It's terrible. Lose water quickly, drink some water and it comes back quickly. No fat was lost due to the suit either. And it's dangerous.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    We used to use them in high school to make weight the night before a wrestling weigh in. They were banned because of kids getting heat stroke. All they do is make sweat out water weight.