Am I petty or do I have a right to say something?

Options

Replies

• TinaCleg
    Options
    My bosses would not appreciate any complaints. Because good jobs are scarce, I myself would not say anything, but I would take off my allotted time!

Good luck
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if I am being petty. I work at a very small CPA firm. 2 Parters (bosses), 2 employees (me and this dude) and a part time receptionist. We are allowed 40 hours Vacation, 40 hours "Comp Time" (from the non-paid OT we work in tax season), and 40 hours sick. After 5 years you get a third week vacation. In the 6 years I have been here I have never gone over my allotted time off. The other dude working here has only been here 3 years. He went over by 40 hours last year and the company just kinda "wrote it off". In my opinion I had to work here 5 years to earn that additional week. Now this year is almost over and he is once again over more than 40 hours and its only October. He has no major medical problems. He does have a child but so do I (and in most cases it's the mother that has to deal with the sick babies). He comes in late and leaves early all the time because he is working on his Masters but the 2 years I spent getting my Masters I didn't go over my time. I just feel it is very unfair that he get all this extra PTO that I don't get and I have been here 3 years longer than him. Is there anything I could say to my bosses? Should I even say anything? Am I just being petty?

Also our raises are always the same % for both of us, so it's not like I'm being rewarded for my dedication to my job in a financial way.

I think all of us..whether working for a big or small company..has at least one of this type of employee. Here at my office we call her Martha the useless receptionist. In my vast experience of life lol....it's of no benefit to say anything. Deal with it or move on. That's life in the working world.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You may one day " joke" and say something like ----"Boy,dude"s name, I can't believe you STILL have some time left. Surely, you have used all your hours up .......... Make sure a boss is within hearing distance..
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Statistics show that women are under paid doing the same job as men. How you are being treated is not fair.....
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Just ask for the same amount of time off that the other dude is taking. Just to be fair.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Seems like he learned that it's sometimes easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission, so to speak.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Is he working from home?

BTW, I took offence to the "mommy stays home with the sick kids". That's my territory. I have a job that I can do from home, so it's no biggie to stay home with the kids.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree with just taking the time that you are allowed to take...every last minute of it. If everything else is equal amongst the two of you...even raises...then there shouldn't be an issue. IF the bosses say something to you...THEN feel free to voice your opinion on how you should be able to take time...just like the REST of the employees. :D
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    petty. unless they're giving him YOUR vacation time, it really isn't your business. it's not his fault if you don't use your vacation or have never needed to go over, maybe next year you should take an extended vaca as a reward?
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with being petty or not. You're not in charge. You don't make or enforce the rules. If your benefits are being infringed on, it's time to speak up. If not, you would be well advised to mind your own business. If your company is aware of what's going on and deals with it a certain way, unless they seek your consultation, they don't want to hear from you.

This.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Complaining on your co-worker is so petty. It would be different if you was his supervisor than you could address him about taking to much PTO but your not, leave it up to his Boss. If the Boss don't have a problem with it than it should not concern you. Going in to say something about this could set you up for failure and back fire.

On the other hand if you are looking for more on your check than meet with your Boss on that.

totally off topic, but where there hell is my red editor's pen???
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would use your time that you've earned. Why wouldn't you?
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Repercussions of bringing it up could include:
    sounding like a petulant child wanting the world to be fair
    making your coworker in a small office ticked off at you

I would ask to discuss YOUR performance in light of what you have accomplished this year. I would state something about how long you hve been with teh company and your desire to not only improve salary but only your professional acumen. Be very careful about pointing out the so called slack of the other person. That is a dangerous ground.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You are allowed overage but you aren't taking it? Whose fault is that?

Since we don't know the depth of the situation, who's to say that his pay isn't being deducted for his extra leave?

If all of this is to the boiling point, it's time you find yourself another position.

We are not allowed to just take extra time off - thats why we have a vacation "policy". Me and him are pretty close since we are the only two employees. I know it's not deducted from his pay. We discuss our pay with each other and anything else. He seriously comes in late and leaves early all the time. I'm just curious if I should ask for extra time off or ask for a better raise or just drop the whole situation.

I wouldn't say anything because you never know...the partners might be taking notice, and just not saying anything. Is your workload heavier because he's gone? If not, then don't worry about it. I DO have to say though, that having worked in HR for a large company, it's usually against most HR policies (as in a firing offense) to discuss wages and benefits with co-workers. Make sure your bosses don't hear THAT conversation because they may not appreciate that type of communication at all.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Do you have year end reviews? If so, that's the time to try and negotiate more time off, or whatever you would like. However, do not bring up your coworker during this conversation... it has nothing to do with him, this about you, and what you need. Maybe he has negotiated more time, but was told to keep it quiet?? I know it wouldn't go over well where I work if it was known that employees had compared pay and other negotiated items between the employee and the employer.
  • Raivynsblood
    Raivynsblood Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the petty things; Just pet the sweaty things.

hahaha :drinker:
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Petty, focus your energy on something positive.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I think that if you re going to speak up regarding advancing your position or asking for a raise you should never compare yourself to another person.
    Simply talk about your accomplishments and dedication to your job. Whatever this guy is doing is between himself and his employers. He has been there for three years and if they are not firing him for his actions then I would steer clear of ever discussing another person's work habits or ethics. unless of course you are in a management/supervisor role or work for HR. Also does his extra PTO take any time from you. Lets say you for some reason you went over this year, would you company not also "eat it"?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Have you determined that the same courtesy of fudging your PTO would not be extended to you should you ever have a need to use it? I also work in small firm, and things like that are common.
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with being petty or not. You're not in charge. You don't make or enforce the rules. If your benefits are being infringed on, it's time to speak up. If not, you would be well advised to mind your own business. If your company is aware of what's going on and deals with it a certain way, unless they seek your consultation, they don't want to hear from you.

This