I Will Not Be Defeated!

Options
This morning I woke up feeling defeated. I felt "fat". I weighed myself, and after losing 13 lbs., I gained a lb!!!! This verified my "feeling fat." In my head I said this is usually when I stop my journey. (Yes, already!) However, in my heart, I said this is just the beginning. This isn't where the battle ends, but where the true fight begins. Now I reflect on what I'm doing different and what I need to change. Because I can do this! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Time to put on my full armor. Those 114 more lbs are mine to conquer! Forward March!

Replies

• nmc414
    nmc414 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :smile: Exactly...Keep marching forward. Don't let it stop you.
  • neciebyrd
    neciebyrd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are so on point. Was that therapy for me or you :happy: I refuse to give in this time.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just think, there might be a thinner person under there. But that thinner person is not a better person. You are who you are and all the people who love you know that already. You just need to learn it too.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    LOVE !!! Thank you!!!!
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You are so on point. Was that therapy for me or you :happy: I refuse to give in this time.

Maybe it was for both of us! If it's for you, too, I'm glad I shared. Sometimes letting it out for yourself has a positive impact for others, too! =)
  • madamecj82
    Options
    Just think, there might be a thinner person under there. But that thinner person is not a better person. You are who you are and all the people who love you know that already. You just need to learn it too.

That is very true. I do feel the thinner person under ALL of this! lol I am in the process of getting to know the person I am, too. Thank you for your kind words!
  • madamecj82
    Options
    LOVE !!! Thank you!!!!

No, Thank YOU! =)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You've lost thirteen pounds, that's MAJOR.
    You're already 10% of the way to your goal, it sounds like, so based on that, your weight loss objective is on sale for 10% off. Go get it!!!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    just remember it is a marathon not a sprint... some weeks you may gain a lb or a few ounces but as long as your overall average is 1 to 2lbs a week loss you are making progress.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This morning I woke up feeling defeated. I felt "fat". I weighed myself, and after losing 13 lbs., I gained a lb!!!! This verified my "feeling fat." In my head I said this is usually when I stop my journey. (Yes, already!) However, in my heart, I said this is just the beginning. This isn't where the battle ends, but where the true fight begins. Now I reflect on what I'm doing different and what I need to change. Because I can do this! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Time to put on my full armor. Those 114 more lbs are mine to conquer! Forward March!

Keep marching forward. Great job. This is a race that the tortoise wins.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options

What you said here is exactly how I "fell off" all the diets I've ever been on in my life. I "gained" a lb, 2 lbs, whatever, or had a bad eating day and just gave up. I was always going to start next week, next Monday, or next year...but next thing I knew another 20lbs had piled on board.

THIS TIME is different! THIS TIME, when I saw a "gain" I was able to use this site and the tools to look back and see exactly WHY that "gain" happened. It might have been TOM (it often was), or I had too much sodium the day before, so I was retaining water. THIS TIME I was able to understand that it wasn't a true gain, but a temporary blip on my way downward. Now, here I am, over halfway to my goal, and I can look back over the times I've conquered this feeling and gone onwards. I'm happy to have stuck with it, happy that I"ve lost SO MUCH, and happy that I now have a new, healthier lifestyle. THIS TIME is my FOREVER TIME! I hope it is for you, too!! Thank you for sharing, and best of luck in your journey. Losing 13 lbs so far is fantastic. Keep up your efforts and they will pay off in ways you can't begin to imagine right now.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No worries you will go between one and two pounds. It's water waight and uhh...other things your body must do.

On a normal day for me I go betten 2 to three pounds.

However, don't panic. You're still losing.
  • madamecj82
    Options
    You've lost thirteen pounds, that's MAJOR.
    You're already 10% of the way to your goal, it sounds like, so based on that, your weight loss objective is on sale for 10% off. Go get it!!!

WOW! That's real deep, and I'm being totally for real. I've never thought about it like that, but I like it! You must know I like to shop because that definitely brought it on home to me. Thanks for the encouragement! =)
  • madamecj82
    Options

Keep marching forward. Great job. This is a race that the tortoise wins.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Thanks for your encouragement! I actually have started the first round of pics for my "series" that I plan on doing once a month. I do believe that the scale is not the whole picture. Weight loss is a thinking process since you have to think of ALL the factors involved - much like marathon rather than sprint. I like what you said, though, focus on one victory until you reach your next one.
  • madamecj82
    Options

What you said here is exactly how I "fell off" all the diets I've ever been on in my life. I "gained" a lb, 2 lbs, whatever, or had a bad eating day and just gave up. I was always going to start next week, next Monday, or next year...but next thing I knew another 20lbs had piled on board.

THIS TIME is different! THIS TIME, when I saw a "gain" I was able to use this site and the tools to look back and see exactly WHY that "gain" happened. It might have been TOM (it often was), or I had too much sodium the day before, so I was retaining water. THIS TIME I was able to understand that it wasn't a true gain, but a temporary blip on my way downward. Now, here I am, over halfway to my goal, and I can look back over the times I've conquered this feeling and gone onwards. I'm happy to have stuck with it, happy that I"ve lost SO MUCH, and happy that I now have a new, healthier lifestyle. THIS TIME is my FOREVER TIME! I hope it is for you, too!! Thank you for sharing, and best of luck in your journey. Losing 13 lbs so far is fantastic. Keep up your efforts and they will pay off in ways you can't begin to imagine right now.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on your loss so far, and good luck on the rest of your journey! Thanks for the encouragement as well! Time is a major factor in weight loss. Changing your mindset to understand that it's THIS TIME. We can't think about the past times, because we're living in TODAY. THIS TIME is my FOREVER TIME as well! I'm determined! =)
  • madamecj82
    Options
    No worries you will go between one and two pounds. It's water waight and uhh...other things your body must do.

Thanks, @Simone! I am still losing, though, because a couple of days later I was back down to the weight I was before the weight that made me write this post. lol! When I saw it increase, it was like panic mode, but I know that there are other factors in the weight loss journey like NSVs. Weight loss is definitely a learning process.
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This isn't where the battle ends, but where the true fight begins. Forward March!

I love this! Thank you!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Thanks, @Simone! I am still losing, though, because a couple of days later I was back down to the weight I was before the weight that made me write this post. lol! When I saw it increase, it was like panic mode, but I know that there are other factors in the weight loss journey like NSVs. Weight loss is definitely a learning process.

best thing to do for yourself is weigh yourself once a week
  • GetFitCarly
    Options
    Good on you for not giving up.. you can do it!!