Question?

Options
I was wondering why the calories are always more when u put it in the food for the day than it is on the package of food it is very confusing. I eat one serving of something thinking it is gonna be this many calories and when I put it in it's more.

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    The food in the data base is user submitted. If the calories are wrong you can edit it or create a new food with what your package says.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Check the database entries with the nutrition info. on the package to be sure the serving sizes & nutrition amounts are correct in the database. Some of them are wrong because either an error was made by the MFP user who entered it or because the nutrition facts have been reanalyzed by the manufacturer and have changed. But from what I've seen, most foods have at least one database entry that is accurate.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    I was wondering why the calories are always more when u put it in the food for the day than it is on the package of food it is very confusing. I eat one serving of something thinking it is gonna be this many calories and when I put it in it's more.

Make sure you are inputting the right serving size - I know that I has made the mistake of clicking the item and not really looking at the serving size....
    Also - there are discrepancies in the calories (usually not much) but a lot of foods are inputted by members and arent alwasy 100% accurate. If you find one that is wrong you can adjust your amounts or add the food correctly.
    I know for Hellmans light mayo there are a few enteries but only 1 matches the food label.
    You just have to be diligent in your tracking
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I entered in a fat free frozen yogurt and thought I would die, it said 579 in MFP for 1 cup, but then I went to the website of the company and they said only 94 cals per 4 oz! Yay. I can have 2 cups for 376!

Make sure that it is the same thing, one frozen yogurt is not every frozen yogurt. Guessing is really hard for me so I try to log before I eat it. :flowerforyou:

Best of luck to you!
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I noticed that today.

The gatorade on here said it was 200 calories.

On the bottle it said 180, I left it at 200 though.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one of the above posts reminded me. Be sure you're using the correct unit of measurement. 8 ounces of volume may be significantly different than 8 ounces of weight. Liquids (and some solids like ice cream) are measured with volume. For example, the 1/2 cup of ice cream is 4 ounces of volume, but not necessarily 4 ounces of weight. Normally the weight will be listed in grams.

The best example of that I can think of right now is shredded cheese. The serving size is usually listed as 1/4 cup (28g). Well, 1/4 cup is 2 ounces of VOLUME. But, the weight serving is 28 grams which is 1 ounce of weight. So if you saw "1/4 cup" and thought that meant 2 ounces and then you enter that you ate 2 ounces of cheese, that would throw the calorie amount off that shows up in your diary by 2x.