When was you "I need to do something about this" point?

Options
I'm curious to know when you finally said "enough is enough"
what brought you to my fitnesspal?
What are your goals?
and what are your victories so far?
So proud of everyone for trying to lead a healthy lifestyle btw :)

Replies

• CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1. I've never been "skinny" so to speak. But for my 15th birthday, I wanted to lose 10 pounds so I joined the gym, got a personal trainer who also put me on a strict diet. In a month I lost 12 pounds, just in time for my birthday. After that I left the gym. Since it was a gradual weight loss, it took time to gain it back but eventually I did...and more. Last year for my 20th birthday I realized that I was my heaviest ever, I went from 150 lb to 187 lb (I'm 5'7). Enough was enough.

2. I'm an iPhone user and you know how we are with our apps. I found the myfitnesspal app, downloaded it but since it's a bit restricted on the app, I didn't know you could do so much on here and came and went, wasn't really motivated or commited.

3. My goal is to reach my previous weight of 150 lb by January. After I reach 150 lb I will determine how much more weight I think I need to lose. Being 150 lb at 15 years of age and being 150 at 21 years of age isn't the same thing, since your body changes over time.

4. I've lost 17 pounds so far. With healthy eating and exercises. Currently in the middle of completing the 30 day shred, literally only 14 days left and I'll be done with it. Can't wait to see my results in the "after" pic. I can definitely see progress when looking in the mirror right now.
  • sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1. I've never been "skinny" so to speak. But for my 15th birthday, I wanted to lose 10 pounds so I joined the gym, got a personal trainer who also put me on a strict diet. In a month I lost 12 pounds, just in time for my birthday. After that I left the gym. Since it was a gradual weight loss, it took time to gain it back but eventually I did...and more. Last year for my 20th birthday I realized that I was my heaviest ever, I went from 150 lb to 187 lb (I'm 5'7). Enough was enough.

2. I'm an iPhone user and you know how we are with our apps. I found the myfitnesspal app, downloaded it but since it's a bit restricted on the app, I didn't know you could do so much on here and came and went, wasn't really motivated or commited.

3. My goal is to reach my previous weight of 150 lb by January. After I reach 150 lb I will determine how much more weight I think I need to lose. Being 150 lb at 15 years of age and being 150 at 21 years of age isn't the same thing, since your body changes over time.

4. I've lost 17 pounds so far. With healthy eating and exercises. Currently in the middle of completing the 30 day shred, literally only 14 days left and I'll be done with it. Can't wait to see my results in the "after" pic. I can definitely see progress when looking in the mirror right now.

great job
    cant wait to see your transformation :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    This most recent point was at the MLB All Star Game. Sounds weird, but as a part of my job I "got" to work the All Star Game. I am a baseball fan and the game was in Kansas City (my home town), so I was really looking forward to it. The All Star Game is one night, but the events went on for 3 days. The first day I was on my feet walking around the stadium for 11 hours. But not just wakling but climbing steps, carrying boxes, etc. The second day we got a break and it was only 10 hours. The final day was the easiest and we only walked, climbed steps, ran etc for 8 hours. I took the next two days off and recovered. I should also mention the weather did break on the 2nd day and it was cooler than the 108 we had the Satruday before the event started. It was physically demanding and once I got over it I thought I did that. I worked out for 11 hours. I lost 13 pounds over the 3 days. I didn't get serious for another month but that was the point where I said enough. Time to get back on track with my health.
  • nofailureallowed
    Options
    When I noticed that I didnt own a full length mirror. Not one, so I bought one...then I couldnt look at myself. It was a horrible feeling, I knew then something (me) had to change.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    well i was heavy when i graduated from highschool. i was never the girl who could wear the cute cloths or anything. but then i went to college and hatted the food, loved the gym, took up running and my classes were very hands on and fast paced so instead of gaining the freshman 15 i lost 20 lbs. and i liked the new me i was becoming, so i became addicted to the gym and steadily lost weight till my third year where i was pretty much at my goal weight and now i was someone who could wear what ever i wanted cause it looked good on me and guys noticed me (but by this time i had a bf who is now my hubby. we first meet my second year so he knew me when i was still slightly heavy and then when i was where i wanted to be).

and then life happened. i was in a very bad horse related accident caused me to become a little to thin. and i got married and had a baby, gained a lot of weight but was able to lose that on my own pretty fast. got prego a second time and for some reason had the hardest time losing the weight. that's when i joined, i had had a taste of skinny me and i was not going to let heavy me win! i did lose some weight but then got prego again (it was planned and also will be our last baby). now i am 3 weeks away from due date and try to watch what i eat but when this pregnancy is over i hope to start back up again get back to my goal weight and stay there for good!

my goal is 130 lbs after i have baby. i would like 125 but not sure if my body will be able to go there with pregnancy changes. i hope to do it all on my own (i.e. no gym) just some sneakers and 3 little ones ages 3 and under! and a dog to be walked.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    When I was pushing 400 pounds and realized I weighed more than any NFL middle linebacker. :noway:
  • MakingThisHappen
    Options
    I'm sick of feeling depressed and down about my weight - year after year promising myself that "this year I'll do it!" and then I don't and feel even worse.
    No-one else is going to do this for me, so if i want change, I need to make a start!
    Getting there, very slowly! :tongue:
    It's pretty tough BUT I am determined!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I couldn't put my pants on while standing anymore. I had to sit down to get my legs through the leg holes. And then it got to the point where I was having a hard time tying my shoes. I had to take a breath, exhale, tie and then come back up to breathe.

And then my doctor took my blood pressure and told me it was high.

I had to change.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    At first it was a couple years ago where obesity snuck up on me. It was really embarrassing and seeing my "before" photos was crazy, I didn't realize I had gotten so big. I then lost 70 pounds.

Over the few years I put on another 20 pounds. I have been able to lose 5 of the slowly over the last couple of months. I stopped counting calories and decided to just do portion control. It worked fine, but I wasn't losing weight. Counting calories is the best thing I ever did to lose weight before, so I figured I would go back to it. The math of it makes a lot of sense to me and usually never fails.

That's what brought me to myfitnesspal. The website is simple to use and easy to understand. People connected with me right away and that really helped motivate me. I don't have to do this all the way alone.
    I love the idea of net calories. Before I always stuck to 1,200-1,600 no matter how much I worked out. I love that the site keeps me at 1,220 and then rewards me if I work out more. I feel like this way I don't ever have to go hungry and if I do it;s only because I didn't get my lazy butt of the couch to work out :D LOVE IT
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Oh yes, I forgot., my goals are to get fitter. I want less jiggle. I am trying to do strength training/toning 3 times a week and cardio 5 times a week.
    The lowest I ever got was 129 and I really would like to see myself get to 120. I am pretty petite so this would be healthier for me.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    at every cook out when I have to decide if the plastic chair is going to hold me up
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    at every cook out when I have to decide if the plastic chair is going to hold me up
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    About 4 1/2 years ago I decided I didn't want to look like the other women in my office. I was thinner than them, but I could do better. (Note to self, LIAR!) At that point I was 44 and weighed 225. My goal was to lose 45 by the time I turned 45. I lost 40 and thought that was good enough. I have always worked out, and started running during this first weight loss. I was using a different site and it seemed to work. After 9 months though, all I could think about was "What can I eat that will fit into my day?" It got to be obsessive. I had to step away. Over the years I gained and lost about 10, but more in the gain category. This past July, my niece's fiance told me and my sister about MFP. Both of us decided to join and be his support staff (friend). Since then, I have lost an additional 15 pounds (yay!). I am now at 169 - I haven't been this weight in my entire adult life. I have passed the 50 pounds loss over a year before I will turn 50. Even though I weigh 169, I fit into some size 8 pants. Many of my clothes are too big and I can't wait to go shopping when I finally hit 160!
  • crisipina
    crisipina Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When my dads cousin told me that she could hardly pay attention to my conversation with her bc she couldnt help but stare at how fat my face was
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    When I grew to 6'4 and looked like a strong breeze would knock me over.
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had my second baby in December 2011. I was holding her up to my cheek and turned my head to look in a mirror at us....yeah, I couldn't believe how much FACE I had!! It was horrifying, and I knew that I just had to do something. I hated looking in the mirror, and that had to STOP!

I found MFP while searching for workouts and stuff on the web. Absolutely love it, and it has helped me win at losing!

I need to lose about 75 more pounds, but my short-term goal is to get under 200 pounds - about 19 to go there.

Victories? Wow, I can sit with my legs crossed! I can run more than 3 miles and NOT die! I HAVE to wear a belt with most of my pants, otherwise they fall off. I have watches and rings that I can now wear comfortably that did not fit at the beginning of this year!! So many things I'm grateful for!!
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    When my dads cousin told me that she could hardly pay attention to my conversation with her bc she couldnt help but stare at how fat my face was

Ouch! Well I'm not sure if that's a before of after photo of you but either way you're very pretty.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was 55 yo, 5'8" tall and 220 pounds, 50 of which I put on after retiring from the Navy. I was always tired and diabetes runs in the family. I've down to 172 and still looking to lose 10 more to get my bmi down to normal. I refuse to develop diabetes!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    On Christmas Eve morning, I got on the scale and weighed 179lbs, I'm only 5ft 3 and looked horrible and felt even worse. I didn't even weigh that when I was pregnant with any of my kids! I decided that instead of waiting until Jan1 and failing, like most people do, I had had enough. There was no way I was going to hit 180. So I started walking.. Like Forrest Gump, I havent stopped. I'm up to 925 miles as of today and my goal is 1,000 miles by Oct. 31st. My inspiration was to get people to sponsor me for each mile walked for St Judes, in honor of a friend's 4 year old son with an inoperable brain tumor. I now also bike and run too.
    I have lost 40lbs and I feel like a different person. I have a lot less pain, I no longer have indigestion, was able to cut back on some meds, I don't have to use my cpap anymore, I'm in a size 8 or 10 jeans and WAS in a 16, heading to an 18. Yikes, then I'd be in 'women's clothing'.
    My original goal was to just walk 30 minutes daily at a slow pace so I wouldn't get burn't out or too sore. I just had to do SOMETHING. Now I'm doing C25K and today I finished what I believe is the hardest segment, week 5 day 3. I'm proud of myself and I think I'm doing well for a grandma of 3 1/2. :)
    My goals include: being able to finish a 5K and to do it without walking, to lose 15-20 more lbs, keep improving on my fitness level and to continue to improve my diet with healthier choices.
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I was 55 yo, 5'8" tall and 220 pounds, 50 of which I put on after retiring from the Navy. I was always tired and diabetes runs in the family. I've down to 172 and still looking to lose 10 more to get my bmi down to normal. I refuse to develop diabetes!

Good for you! :drinker: I refuse to go back on BP meds!