Can you help answer my questions?

Options
My husband has been scheduled for knee replacement surgery on Nov. 30.

If you or someone close to you has been down this path, would you mind responding with your knowledge?

I'm wondering how quickly he will feel relief. At this point he is 100% bone on bone, no cartilege left. Every step really hurts. How soon after surgery will he feel relief? How long for the incision to close up?

How many days should I plan to take off work in order to care for him? What will he need me to do for him? Will he be able to stand and walk right away or are we looking at a period of time utilizing a wheelchair?

We will have a pre-surgery consultation on the 28th where we will be able to ask all these questions (and more!) of his doctor, so I'm not trying to substitute internet knowledge for asking the proper source, but I am very curious to hear more from anyone who has info to share.

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't answer all of your questions, but my boyfriend's father recently had knee replacement surgery. He was off his feet for a time (can't recall how long...) but soon was able to use crutches, no wheelchair time... He's doing great now and can walk without crutches, doesn't seem to be discomforted much if at all. Very important to do the physical therapy they give you and make sure you don't let it get too stiff.

Will say a prayer and hope things go well. Hopefully someone else can give you more detailed information... :flowerforyou:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My grandmother had her knee replaced in 2004. She needed a lot of help for the first 3-4 weeks. She was unable to stand on her new knee on her own for 6 weeks.

They were both retired then so I know the work issue wasn't present with them.

My advice would be to talk to your surgeon and the rehab nurses and get a schedule from them ASAP. They will tell you how much time he's going to need based on his expected recovery.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    This is a full knee replacement, and they said he will be in the hospital for 3-4 days.

Thanks for the replies!

My work will totally let me have whatever time I need, I just don't know if I'll need to file papers re: Family Medical Leave Act or not. If it is just going to be a couple days, it's not necessary. But if he needs me for 2 weeks, I need to get on the paperwork.

Luckily, he works from home, so he doesn't have to worry about an employer......
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes, the doctor should be able to tell you. I think I was home w/my husband for about 3 days (well, 5 w/the weekend).. Enough so he wasn't on as many drugs and was coherent. He could hobble around enough to get from the couch to the kitchen to the bathroom. I had to help him upstairs for a while. I think he was off of work for 2 weeks (but he works retail, so he has to stand all day)..I think he would have gone back sooner if he had a sitting job.
    Oh, and he was on the brace and crutches. No wheelchair, except from the hospital to the car. He was home the same day as surgery. I didn't do much other than fetch him food, help him get up, etc. The knee healed up good itself. Depending on which leg, you may need to drive him around for a longer period of time. He may not be able to drive.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I worked in an orthopedic office for 2.5 years. He should be able to do for himself in a week...unless he's a baby...then 2-4.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It depends on his age and health as well. My grandmother was 65 and obese at the time, so her recovery might be totally different than his. It can vary quite a bit. It is a long painful recovery though no matter how young and fit you are.
  • StrongAtLast
    Options
    PS good luck! It's tough being a caregiver, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • StrongAtLast
    Options
    I worked in an orthopedic office for 2.5 years. He should be able to do for himself in a week...unless he's a baby...then 2-4.

haha...aren't they all???? !!!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had major knee surgery where they replaced the ligament and was down and out for 3-4 months. However, THAT is not normal surgery because i had to wait til the ligament adhered itself properly from the donor.

He should be able to get around well enough in a week to start doing things for himself. You may need to leave things out for him within easy reach, but he'll make it to the bathroom and back without assistance.

I have the full 6-7 inch incision down the center of my knee (whcih to my knowledge is still what they are usign for replacements), and it took at least a month to heal completely, 2 weeks with the staples in.

Best of luck to him. Knee surgery is awful!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Thanks SO much for the replies!

He's 57, he is overweight but has been losing and has made good progress, 30 lbs gone so far in the last 6 mos. He probably has 25-30 more he could lose.
  • mommy1203
    Options
    Now days they are getting them out of bed and having them walk in the first 24 hours after surgery. He shouldn't need any equipment unless you plan on going to the store or something. He should be fine at home. One of my nursing instructors came back to work 1 week after her replacement. She used a walker for 2 of those days she was back. They normally utilize Physical Therapy asap and for about 8 weeks or less. You probably won't have to do too much for him and shouldn't need to take off work for more than the first week. He will probably have staples and those are left in usually 1 to 2 weeks depending on the wound. He should start feeling relief immediately. The only pain he should have is from the surgery but as far as the pain he has been having prior to surgery that will have went away.
    I hope this helps and if you need anything else I'll be happy to help!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not knee, but I had a total hip replacement 3 years ago and I imagine they're similar. I also had bone-on-bone pain because the ball of my femur was deformed and dug into the hip socket with every movement. When I woke up the only pain I felt was the normal pain from having major surgery. The hip pain I'd had for 30 years was gone. I was on morphine only about 3 days because I couldn't stand the side effects and was able to bear it so just stopped. Continued to take over-the-counter pain meds for another week or so. I also had to give myself anti-rejection injections for like 10 days. My husband only stayed home the first two days with me, after that I was able to do everything myself, although obviously slowly and carefully. Getting in and out of the shower (a tub shower) and up onto our bed (which is higher than normal) was the most difficult. I was off work for recovery a total of 6 weeks, but when I went back in, I was walking pretty normal.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answers!

He severed his posterior ligament a loooong time ago, and will likely be getting a cadaver ligament as well. That's one part I forgot to mention. I'm sure that will add to the length of time for recovery.