Creature of Habit.... Unfortunately most are bad

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to get some feedback and/or suggestions as to how I can determine the nutritional impact on my favorite lunch restaurant. It's a Japanese hibachi type place, and I get the Hibachi Chicken, Brown Rice, and vegetables (Which is usually Cabbage, Carrots, Broccoli, and Zucchini).

I really love this place, but suspect it is not helping me in the area of nutrition. The problem is, I am a creature of habit and this may be one of the biggest that I succumb too. I am trying to determine the nutritional value (if any) of my almost daily lunch choice. I believe the brown rice is healthy, the vegetables are healthy, and the chicken is healthy. However, my concern is the brown sauce that is used to moisten the chicken when it's being grilled.

I asked the restaurant owner, and she indicated that the sauce was not SOY sauce. I am concerned, because I believe SOY sauce has a high amount of sodium, which I need to stay away from. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I may be able to determine the nutritional values of this meal? Is anyone familiar with the sauce that are typically used in Hibachi Chicken dishes. I did some preliminary research, and found a brown sauce that is SOY based, and a pink sauce -I NEVER USE THIS DIPPING SAUCE, The brown sauce nutritional values, showed very low Sodium, which leads me to believe it is not the same sauce.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I know it is probably simpler just changing my lunch, I know it would be more cost effective to do so, but it has been hard to make this change, with all of the other changes I have made (Cut out soft drink, drink water, cut DOWN on coffee including the cream and sugar, eat more vegetables, cut out breads etc.).

Thank you in advance for your time.

BBG

Replies

• Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    I don't know the answer to your question, big help I am...

An idea though...If its a place you go all the time, maybe you could ask them to prepare it without the sauce, see if it still is any good?

Then, I'd suggest plugging the main ingredients into the MFP thing, I'm amazed at how similar things do come up, even when I've plugged in something obscure I think will never be in there, the list is pretty extensive. If nothing comes up, remove some ingredients until something does. I'd put the rice in separately.

Good luck. :)
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    My guess is that it was a teriyaki sauce they put on the chicken which is pretty typical at hibachi places.
  • RozWynn
    RozWynn Posts: 30
    I agree it is probably teriyaki sauce, but if you cannot find the restaurant in MFPs foods, try Livestrong, they have a huge database and may have it listed.
  • izzy0113
    izzy0113 Posts: 7 Member
    If you're literally ordering "Hibachi Chicken" off the menu, then I'm 99% sure they're using hibachi sauce. You'd have to order "Teriyaki Chicken" to get teriyaki sauce. I'd ask the kitchen to check the can for you, most restaurants order these sauces from distributors, they aren't homemade. But it looks like hibachi sauce is approx 50 calories per ounce:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-house-tsang-hibachi-grill-sauce-i212028

It's not the healthiest stuff ever, but you could definitely do worse. I'd ask them to go light on the sauce.