Losing weight without exercise?

trekkiebeth
trekkiebeth Posts: 172
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I always assumed that you absolutely had to exercise at least 3 times a week to lose weight. But even on the days I don't work out, as long as I'm under my calorie goal the site tells me, "If every day were like today, you'd weigh ___ in 5 weeks." That makes it sound like I can still lose weight without exercising, as long as I stay at or under my calorie goal. I guess that's why exercising allows you to have more calories.

I'm starting another semester of college next month, and I'm afraid I won't have time to exercise during the week. I'll still go hiking most Saturdays, but I won't have time to work out on weekdays because of classes and studying and homework. I was afraid that this would cause me to stop losing weight, but will I still be ok as long as I stay at or under my calorie goal?

Here's some info about me, if it helps:

Height: just under 5'4
SW: 140
CW: 137.4
GW: 125

Replies

• jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    I noticed the same thing....I started out strong Jan 1st exercised three days in a row...then stopped...but stuck to my calorie goal and have lost 5 pounds.....even having my monthly during......my concern is...as the weight drops will everything droop if I don't exercise..... Good Luck new semester.
  • I'm hoping that the weekend hikes and riding my bike to school (only a 10 minute ride) will help. At least I'll be getting some activity.
  • To be honest you can lose weight without excercising. Diet is about 75 percent of weight loss, for instance if you are eating fast food like crazy, drinking cokes, snacking all day long, but doing two sessions of cardio a day probably won't help you lost weight. Don't get me wrong excercise is wonderful for you body and is definitely good for toning up while losing weight, but You could continue to lose weight if you pay attention to the quality of your food, or at least maintain the weight your at. There is not denying that sessions of cardio will speed along weight lost, but Eating complex carbs, no sugar like cookies or cakes or anything, getting enough protein from animal meat-chicken, fish, etc, and make sure you combine a protein and a complex carb into every meal, follow those simple rules and you should be fine. I am in college too, but as long as you have your diet in order, you shouldn't gain weight, Hope this helps!!
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    R U Kiddin....my sons school is about 2 miles away...I can't wait for the weather to get nicer so I can bike it when I volunteer. No matter what ur doin you are burning cals...even if its slowly....I always lose interest or get "too busy" for the exercise...but since I saw I am still losing without the actual exercise...I can still get to my goal without losing heart and it just goes slower....I wish there was a magic pill that would just wipe away the jiggle..
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    It definitely has to do with calories in, calories out. How do you think anorexics lose all the weight?!? Granted it's definitely NOT healthy. Exercising builds muscle which helps burns more calories which helps speed up the weight loss. In the long run you can lose some weight without exercising, but it might start to slow down. Exercising will give you that jump you need to get over the plateau. Enjoy your hikes on the weekends though! Good luck! :happy:
  • Its certainly possible to lose weight without exercise. Its also certainly better to diet without exercise rather than doing nothing at all. However, I still try to fit in at least a brief workout every day with longer sessions on weekends. Exercising is less efficient than dieting for weight loss but I depend on it to keep my mood elevated so I don't get discouraged. I've also found that if we stop exercising, we run the risk of endorphin withdrawal. Finally, once we meet our goal weight, exercise can allow us some room for error in our maintenance diet.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Remember that muscles "eat" calories !!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    You can lose weight without exercise - you are young...as you age you lose tone, muscle and firmness - you also lose bone density. If you exercise all of these things can really slow down and in some cases reverse.
    So, in the short term yes you can lose weight without exercise but for the rest of your life you should want to be healthy and exercise can make that happen.
    Make sense?
    As a college student - yes, you will be very busy and you will have a lot of other things to keep you busy - exercise can be a great outlet for stress. Get it in when you can and use it to keep your mind focused and your body healthy - both of those things will help you do better in class and on exams.
    Good luck!
    PS..I wish that I was aware of calories/exercise and weight control when I was in college - having that knowledge when I was in my early 20's would have made a huge difference as to where I am now. good for you!
  • Thanks everyone! And I will still be getting some exercise, just not as much as I am now. I'll be going on a long, challenging hike almost every Saturday, and I'll be riding my bike to and from school 4 days a week. It's only a 10 minute ride, but that adds up to 20 minutes a day, plus more if I need to go to the store. So hopefully it shouldn't be too bad.
This discussion has been closed.