what restaurants do you choose when you want to go out?

Options
13»

Replies

• spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Whether I'm planning to eat light or have something crazy I try to eat at places that have calorie information online now that I've started my MFP food diary. I just want to be accurate in my entries, regardless of whether I'm being bad or good.

Red Robin is one we go to a lot because they have the online customizer and there's also a great frozen yogurt place right next to ours called Bobalicious that has calories online. Chipotle, O'Charley's (local chain I think) and even Friendly's have lighter options.

And it sounds wicked, but The Cheesecake Factory has a great "skinny" menu. I've had a salmon salad and a turkey burger from it that were fantastic, and if you split one of the lighter cheesecake flavors with a friend it's actually possible to have a lovely meal there that isn't totally out of control. And joy of joy, the leanest cheesecake on their list is the pumpkin, which is only just coming back into season :)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory's new Skinnylicious menu is aiight. I usually get the flatbread pizza.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You can eat almost anywhere if you change your order up a bit -- I never get fries or baked potato as my side. I ask for fruit or steamed veggies instead. Lettuce wrap your burger. Order a plainish protein instead of pasta dishes.

Red Robin -- love their burgers lettuce wrapped with freckled fruit salad on the side.

Chipotle -- Burrito bowl with double meat but only eat half and save half for another meal. (Lots and lots of protein that way!)

Panera/Paradise Bakery -- but check calories on their website before ordering, because some of their items appear healthy but are packed with calories! (This was the site of my 750 calorie pumpkin bran muffin debacle.)

Famous Dave's BBQ -- they have menu selections that are under 600 calories. I like the "naked ribs" that are served with steamed broccoli and grilled pineapple as sides.

Really, most places cater to calorie counters by offering lighter menu items. The best advice is to check their website before you go so you don't get an unexpected surpise when you log something that you thought would be healthy and the calories are through the roof. Restaurant salads are one of the worst offenders -- really high in fat and calories. Simple proteins with fruit/veggie sides are usually a fine choice no matter where you're eating.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You can get a plain grilled chicken breast and steamed vegetables almost anywhere.

Or a steak if that's your thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Local as much as possible, they have the best food. And I want quality food if I'm really going big. No sense wasting a meal out on some chain restaurant or fast food.

If you're eating out pretty rarely, don't worry about the meal, enjoy it and get back on track the next day. If eating out is a weekly or daily occurrence, maybe look for some lighter options. A big salad with lots of veggies, good fats and protein is always an easy choice or a steak or chicken entree with steamed veggies and rice.

^^ This

Eating at chain restaurants is no better than fast food in most cases. And eat what you want, make it fit as best you can. Eat half of your meal and save the other half for a different meal. Enjoy your night out!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Eating at chain restaurants is no better than fast food in most cases. And eat what you want, make it fit as best you can. Eat half of your meal and save the other half for a different meal. Enjoy your night out!

^^ I agree! If it's a new place, I'll check out the menu before to get an idea of what to order or work out a little bit longer...not so picky because I want to enjoy my night out! The hardest thing is alcohol when eating out!!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the update on the Outback! I had no idea they had finally done that. That is good news indeed, as I do like to occasionally indulge in their food.
  • myjoybella
    myjoybella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pick Mimis because they have a healthy section on their menu. It only has about five things on it, so I've grown tired of the selections! Especially since a lot of the other stuff on their menu is **very** high in calories.

I will also go to Chilis. They have a few lighter selections. In some of them, they substitute brocolli for french fries. I really like brocolli so that works for me!

We have a Mimis in our area. I am going to have to check that out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sushi is healthy if you choose right.

Many restaurants have a small lean steak or grilled chicken breast option. Choose that with a veggie side(s). A baked sweet potato with a salad or steamed/grilled veggie is also a good option. A broth based soup or chili with a sweet potato and/or veggie side can also be a healthy option.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    My family likes Chili's. And I really like some of their "lighter choice" items. Grilled chicken sandwiches are usually my go-to food when I go out somewhere anyway, just because they're better for you than some other things.