Just Cant get my head around how much i need to eat to hit m

nikkia75
nikkia75 Posts: 31
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
really im finding it quite hard to hit my calorie goal everyday, im not hungry and i feel im eating for the sake of it.

im 5' 6 and i weigh 178lb (174 actually cos i lost 4lb last wk) im 34 yrs old and a SAHM. im on the go most of the day and until recently ive found ive skipped meals (mainly breakfast and lunch) and eat my main meal late at night (8ish) once the kids are in bed.

so a couple of weeks ago i decided now was the time to change and i got back into my routine and did some exercise on the Wii 9 i lost a stone in 5 weeks last summer) and promised myself id have more regular meals and cut out all the junk food.

so out went... wholemilk, full fat butter, chocolate, fried food, white bread, fizzy drinks and sugar in my tea/coffee

and in came 1% fat milk, lowfat spread, wholemeal bread, water, fruit and green tea.

i do feel much better for it but im really finding i have to eat loads to hit my calorie goal especially when i exercise and have extra calories from that.

Am i doing something wrong??

For example tonight for my dinner i had a 4oz baked salmon fillet, 1/2 cup spinach and 1/2 cup mashed potatoes i ate as much as i could but left half the potatoes as i was full.

i dont want to cut down on the exercise because im enjoying it for the first time in my life!

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Eat healthy higher calorie foods if that's what you need to do. Natural peanut butter, whole milk, etc.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    perhaps try to fit in some high-calorie healthy snacks in between meals, some almonds, walnuts, etc.. those dont take up much room in the belly but they are good calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Try adding high calorie snacks throughout the day, this would include any type of nut butters, a hand full of nuts or seeds, protein shakes, as you can get calories without feeling full. You can even add skim milk powder to your 1% milk. Use olive oil in your cooking where you wouldn't use any oil. You can also try eating every 2 hours, even small amounts add up when you eat often.
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    it's just funny cuz i wish i had that problem. i'm constantly having to readjust my meals and recalculate what im eating to try and stay under mine. it's so hard to do cuz i feel like i need to make my meals be more than just a piece of bread and water but at the same time by the time i get through the day its like wow...thats all i have left? this sucks? granted most days i exercise so it isnt an issue, but its those off days that are the worst.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    think about using real butter again. Use Olive Oil or butter on a little bread... peanut butter works well as do avocados! Olives! Nuts! Remember some high fat foods are good for you if you have the calories to spare - it sounds like you may have weeded too much out for your calorie allowance and now you're trying to fill up with bulky low calorie food?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    it's just funny cuz i wish i had that problem. i'm constantly having to readjust my meals and recalculate what im eating to try and stay under mine. it's so hard to do cuz i feel like i need to make my meals be more than just a piece of bread and water but at the same time by the time i get through the day its like wow...thats all i have left? this sucks? granted most days i exercise so it isnt an issue, but its those off days that are the worst.

Just a note, I took a look at your food diary after your comments and not to be mean but noticed you are badly lacking in vegetables. You should be getting 5-8 servings of fruit and veggies with more than half from the veggies. changing this by adding veggies will help keep you under your cals and full as veggies don't have that many calories. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.