Sedentary or Lightly Active?

lovemyboys27
lovemyboys27 Posts: 42
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a SAHM of twin 2 year old boys... I have my profile filled out as sedentary, because I feel like I am sitting all day.. But I do cook 3 meals a day, change diapers, bring them up and down a full flight of stairs in the morning/nap/bedtime, play with them on the floor, do snacks, take them outside (weather permitting)... I also tend to do laundry, clean the kitchen, sweep, clean up their toys throughout the week.

So should I change to "lightly active"? My calories will go up to 1600/day, from 1400/day... So I'm worried I might end up not losing weight, but I also don't want to be under-estimating and mess myself up in the long run..

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• I filled out something like that yesterday on Jillian Michaels site and they were rated like 1,2,3,4 - with 2 being litely active and it said underneath it that SAHM moms would be in that catagory!! I hope that helps, that's the catagory I put myself in and all 3 of my children are in school and we have a 1 story house!! So you are much more active than me it sounds like!!!! (I do do alot of housework and cooking with 3 school age kids and a hubby...LOL)
  • Lovemylife67
    Lovemylife67 Posts: 19 Member
    If you're doing all that, it sounds like you're lightly active. Going up and down the stairs is a pretty good excercise. As long as you keep moving the way you are and really watch what you are eating I don't think weight gain will be an issue. Maybe 1 or 2 days a week during nap time you could throw in an excercise DVD (or video). Better yet...run up and down a few of those stairs a couple times a day. That will help burn more calories! Good luck and have fun.
  • OH, yeah I do exercise on top of that... Wii Fit, Treadmill and weights. I thought though that you filled it out not counting the type of exercise you do, just what you do in a normal day.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I'd call that lightly active. Sedentary is where you sit at a computer all day and let the kids entertain themselves. As long as you're burning off a good deal when you work out, and not eating too much of it back (just enough to stay above 1200), you'll lose weight.
This discussion has been closed.