are cardio/strength training necessary every day?

Options
I really am limited on time in my life due to a hectic schedule..so i combinemy workouts and do about an hourevery other day...
Is this okay? Ordo i need to work them in every day?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    To do what?
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As much as you can fit in the better. (I promise I dont mean that sexually, but a "that's what she said" is coming I'm sure)

You typically need 1 rest day a week, so 6 days is ideal but if you are doing 3-4 days...thats great. Try to do a little bit of cardio to warm up 15-20 minutes and then 40 minutes of weight lifting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I really am limited on time in my life due to a hectic schedule..so i combinemy workouts and do about an hourevery other day...
    Is this okay? Ordo i need to work them in every day?

Better to be every other day anyway.

Diet is a stress.
    Intense long exercise is a stress.
    You got other stresses in life?

Stress will mess with hormones and make weight loss harder.

Besides, diet is for weight loss, hopefully just fat loss.
    Exercise is for heart health and body improvements, and may help or hinder weight loss, hopefully help fat loss.

If you only have so much time, best to spend the majority of time lifting as heavy as you can, only 10 min cardio for cool down is needed. You'll see more fat loss that way.
    If you have time for 15 min walk on rest days, great.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do what you can... and then some. Make daily changes too, just to move a little more. Park at the far end of the lot & walk. Take the stairs. Walk at lunch. If your schedule only allows for an hour every other day, then make the most out of that hour and don't worry about the other days. Just keep an eye on your calories.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Three to five days a week, an hour each day, is fine. Besides, too much exercise - especially coupled with a steep deficit from eating less - can be maladaptive to fat loss and can lead to too much stress on the endocrine system (faster decline in resting metabolic rate and leptin concentration levels, more lean body mass loss, raise in cortisol levels, excess water retention, etc.)
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To do what? TO GET FIT

I work in a hospital so i am ALWAYS on the go during the day!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    To do what? TO GET FIT

I work in a hospital so i am ALWAYS on the go during the day!

Unless that is not you in the picture...you look pretty fit to me. I'm assuming you want to maintain.

What the other poster meant I think was "what is your goal for exercise?" Is it for health? is it for marathon training? or is it to maintain low BF%?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    "To get fit" is vague. If your goal is the common "look better naked" then optimally 3x per week full body lifting with compound lifts is ideal, cardio optional. 2x per week would still work OK.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    haha then my goal is to LOOK GOOD NAKED

:) lol thanks for the advice everyone.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Wtf no you don't need to workout everyday unless you're a pro athlete.

I do intense cardio 4x a week for 40 minutes a session & I'm seeing excellent results. Your body needs breaks.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Duck face has spoken