healthy snacks?

Options
Since I began exercising last week, I have become very hungry between meals. My life is structured around 3 meals a day, so the concept of grazing would be tough for me to implement. Is there something healthy I can munch on between 3 and 4pm to tide me over until dinner at 6:45?

Replies

• Cantona08
    Options
    I find a single serving package of shelled pistachios works wonders. 160 cals, and keeps your hands busy cracking them open and eating them one at a time, so its a snack that lasts longer than something like a candy bar.

Plus, they taste great and are actually very healthy for you.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i LOVE kale! if I want a crunchy snack, I make myself a batch of kale chips. Takes about 15 minutes, healthy and satisfies my need for a crunchy snack.

I also keep a lot of single serve size greek yogurt in my fridge.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My afternoon snack every day is greek yogurt, and sometimes something else like almonds or a piece of fruit. It tides me over to dinner perfectly. I'll note that I eat 5X per day. The 3 meals are around 300-400 cals and 2 snacks are around 200 cals.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My current favorite afternoon snack is a peach and a piece of low fat string cheese. Other good choices include any fruit and veggies, nuts, and yogurt. If you find that you're still very hungry between lunch and dinner, higher protein is the way to go. Hardboiled eggs and Greek yogurt are good options. I believe there are some seeds (such as pumpkin seeds) that have a decent amount of protein too. Lots of options!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY 15 tamari almonds. :smile:
  • Wizard262
    Options
    M favorite mid day snacks are 3 oz of Baby Carrots, Gala Apple, and 1 oz of Turkey Jerky.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    nonfat greek yogurt with strawberries and almonds OR ground flaxseed/chia
    nonfat/lowfat cottage cheese with T of jam
    banana
    apple
    big salad
    low fat cheese and quality crackers
    Ezekiel bread with some almond butter
    glass of chocolate milk

hopefully that'll get you started!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I eat Slim Jims or beef jerky to get more protein and fewer carbs. A little high in sodium but that's not an issue for me, especially since I only eat an ounce at a time.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I love freeze dried strawberries. one bag with 4 servings is only 20 calories per serving. I eat the entire bag easy! 100 calories! OH SOOO GOODD!!!!!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    weight watchers string cheese. I eat 2 for 100 calories total.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    light cottage cheese + fruit or sugar free jam! soo god
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Fruit! What could be easier or more convenient than that? They're perfect in every way for snacking.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Celery and buffalo hummus!! Yummm
    1 tsp of regular hummus + franks hot sauce = amazinggggg dip!
  • tawanna30
    tawanna30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    fruit or Kashi snacks -- all healthy:smile:
  • mnearing2000
    Options
    Melba rounds - classic. No fat, low calories. But even better, carrots, apple, veggies in general.
  • k8kehoe
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to start with apples since it is the season!
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My go-to snack is melon. You can eat a lot of it because it's pretty low-cal. And it fills me up and satisfies because it tastes like CANDY :love:
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I find a single serving package of shelled pistachios works wonders. 160 cals, and keeps your hands busy cracking them open and eating them one at a time, so its a snack that lasts longer than something like a candy bar.

Plus, they taste great and are actually very healthy for you.

Oh my goodness I could live off of pistachios. Even before my "diet"... I would take pistachios over doritos any day!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A Luna bar with a huge glass of water does the trick for me!
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have that problem in the A.M. I have found if I add a low carb protein shake in between or in addition to my breakfast it holds me over way longer. Protein is the key. If you really don't want to add another meal or try to keep a prepared snack on hand this may help. :smile: