Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff?

Options
everybody has a gimmick. I think the premise of good old fashioned hard work has just been thrown out the window. So many of the ads for exercise gimmicks swear that in 3 minutes a day you can look like an ab god/goddess or have the arms/butt/legs that you have always dreamed of. WHATEVER!

https://www.shakeweight.com/default.aspx?id=&refcode=1002

Replies

• Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree!! It makes me think in my head " OMG are they serious?" everytime I see one of those gimmicks!! I really like the Taco bell diet commercials.. now that really made me laugh!!
    everybody has a gimmick. I think the premise of good old fashioned hard work has just been thrown out the window. So many of the ads for exercise gimmicks swear that in 3 minutes a day you can look like an ab god/goddess or have the arms/butt/legs that you have always dreamed of. WHATEVER!

https://www.shakeweight.com/default.aspx?id=&refcode=1002
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    well most people are naive. not knowing something that is too good to be true usually is....its almost like crows with something shiny they are fascinated by it and inclined to investigate and also the whole laziness plays a factor.....i agree wholeheartedly with you
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    my Mom wanted to buy these sticks that you walk with and they burn SO many calories....I said get out and walk - that burns calories...you don't have to buy the sticks!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm home with sick kids today. I've seen like 7 commercials where i think to myself, "Are you freaking kidding me?"
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I've seen them at Target.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OMG! My roommate and I were just talking about this last night when a commercial for the California Cookie Diet came on. Seriously....do people really fall for stuff like that? Cookies?? But...I think Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, etc. aren't any better. People need to learn what's healthy and change habits, not eat "lasagna" and "pizza" made out of who knows what to have no calories. What happens when they go back to eating regular lasagna and pizza? I have a girlfriend that buys the Weight Watchers meals and those 100 calorie cookie snack things, but she's not really changing her food choices, just finding junk substitutes.
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Gosh. You have got to be kidding me!!!
    Hahaha, I could just sit at home and shake my own weights, right?! Ha!
    Awesome.
    I'll stick with running, walking and chasing kids around for a workout :)
    Good luck to all of you out there on your missions :drinker:
    T
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    my Mom wanted to buy these sticks that you walk with and they burn SO many calories....I said get out and walk - that burns calories...you don't have to buy the sticks!

I saw a lady walking with the sticks the other day and I had NOT seen the commercial for them yet...I didn't know what the heck she was doing!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    OMG! My roommate and I were just talking about this last night when a commercial for the California Cookie Diet came on. Seriously....do people really fall for stuff like that? Cookies?? But...I think Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, etc. aren't any better. People need to learn what's healthy and change habits, not eat "lasagna" and "pizza" made out of who knows what to have no calories. What happens when they go back to eating regular lasagna and pizza? I have a girlfriend that buys the Weight Watchers meals and those 100 calorie cookie snack things, but she's not really changing her food choices, just finding junk substitutes.

oh the cookie diet or how about the FULL bar...fill up on this God knows what it is bar and then you won't want to eat a regular meal.

Here is the secret to all those that think gimmicks work.......EAT LESS MOVE MORE>>>you will look better but more importantly you will FEEL better!! And you don't have to pay three monthly payments of 19/95 plus shipping and handling...it is FREE! I should have my own commercial!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOL, shakeweight, my wife cracked up when she saw this on Ellen, so I bought it for her as a gag X-Mas present. The thing's a joke IMHO, it pretty much does nothing for you that I could tell. But we laughed for a good five minutes when she opened it, so it was worth the 20 bucks (I'm still returning it!)
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ok, so I have never heard of the shake sticks, so I went to the website....ok, I will keep this clean, but doesn't it remind you of something else ladies and gents? Something of the perverse nature? The ends are not exactly the same, but jeez!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :blushing:

Alright...I will get my mind out of the gutter!:laugh:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Me and my husband just saw it at walmart. I thought how ridiculous. Last night I saw an infomercial for this thing that is supposed to slim and tone the neckline. This is the perfect time of year to see all the new an less than effective weightloss and fitness solutions.
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    ok, so I have never heard of the shake sticks, so I went to the website....ok, I will keep this clean, but doesn't it remind you of something else ladies and gents? Something of the perverse nature? The ends are not exactly the same, but jeez!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :blushing:

Alright...I will get my mind out of the gutter!:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My hubby and I thought the same thing!!! But the commercial is SO funny!!! I really wanted that thing that you get on your knees and go side to side for 3 mins!!! Don't burst my bubble....I really wanted that!!!! LOL...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ha, I hadn't seen that yet! I'd probably whack myself in the face and break my nose!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    The Shake weights are HILARIOUS! Ellen Degeneres has had them on her show several times. I love Ellen, she picks out those ridiculous items and uses them on her show. HA!

Have you ever seen the Hawaii Chair? Ellen tried to do her show whilst sitting on it because the commercial showed ppl using it at the office and it looked so simple. Funniest thing I have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQspIJnQLRE&feature=related
  • chrissyh
    Options
    LOL, shakeweight, my wife cracked up when she saw this on Ellen, so I bought it for her as a gag X-Mas present. The thing's a joke IMHO, it pretty much does nothing for you that I could tell. But we laughed for a good five minutes when she opened it, so it was worth the 20 bucks (I'm still returning it!)
    That's funny.....you should have given her a gift certificate to Taco Bell for the Drive Thru Diet to go along with it
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The shake weight is instructive in that it is a classic case of infomercial techniques.

First of all the device itself: this is a product that uses the concept of the bodyblade. The body blade was a physical therapy tool that had some positive applications for patients with certain conditions. This is a common technique: take a niche or specialized product and try to generalize those narrow benefits to the population at large. This same technique has been used for a number of products: the total gym, electric muscle stimulators, passive workout tables (remember those?) and for some products that actually work, like resistaball, elastic tubing, and medicine balls.

Secondly ,the "research": this is a great technique because it gives the appearance of legitimacy. The machine "proves" greater muscle involvement, so it must be better, right? No--strength training results rely on many other factors than just fiber involvement. The use of "research" to "lie by telling just enough truth" is the preferred technique for ab exercisers.

Then, of course, you have the usual claims of "dramatic results in no time", "no effort", and "new workout technology" with some snazzy name (in this case, Dynamic Inertia).

A couple of things to emphasize: in the past, infomercial marketers didn't care about putting out a piece of obvious crap--they were only interested in picking off the low-hanging fruit and moving on to a new product. Now, almost every item has *some* authentic science or legitimate use behind it--it's the misapplication to the general population that is the scam. However, the dishonesty is more subtle and insidious.

The other thing I like to point out is that ALL fitness products utilize these techniques to some degree. A lot of people on this website who are scornfully laughing at this product have no hesitation in laying out money for P90X, 30 Day Shred, Bowflex, Treadclimbers, etc. I am not saying these products are scams, or that they belong in the same category as the shake weight, but the same misleading techniques are used to market them and they should be approached with the same wariness.
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The Shake weights are HILARIOUS! Ellen Degeneres has had them on her show several times. I love Ellen, she picks out those ridiculous items and uses them on her show. HA!

Have you ever seen the Hawaii Chair? Ellen tried to do her show whilst sitting on it because the commercial showed ppl using it at the office and it looked so simple. Funniest thing I have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQspIJnQLRE&feature=related

:laugh: :laugh: That's awesome, the people who invented that are seriously special:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    oh but c'mon, it's so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w
  • inkprincess
    Options
    Oh man, never heard of this. HILARIOUS!!!!