Implanon removal and weight loss

Options

Replies

• nikkicola321
    nikkicola321 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

"Implanon is why I can't lose weight!!"

"Don't call me fat!"

Honey, get a grip. I assumed since you want to lose weight, and are throwing a hissy fit about the evils of Implanon, that you were overweight. Perhaps I was mistaken. What word would you prefer? Overweight? Over your ideal of what your weight should be? Please, help me help you understand. I did say (REPEATEDLY) that it was *possible* and that only proper labwork could show you WHY that was the case. But, you may just be a special snowflake, so I'll give you that. :flowerforyou:[/quote]

Just so you know DamienKitten the implants are scientifically proven to increase weight gain over an extended period of time - I will cite 2 websites shortly as proof. Whether you gain weight or not is mainly due to your body's natural hormone level and metabolism prior to the implant. In my case I gained 50lbs while keeping the same lifestyle (I am a swimmer which burns calories so it was quite a shock to me and caused me to go the the doctor and ask what's going on). After getting the implant removed I lost the weight while still maintaining the same lifestyle. For you to attack anyone no matter how long ago it was was quite frankly disgusting. Instead of making people feel bad you should first do some in depth research and then make your comment - otherwise you don't belong on this site. Besides calling her a special case is horridly incorrect - it's quite common, although that doesn't make you wrong either. Everyone's body is different, but here's some government studies proving weight gain can be linked to the implants.

Exhibit A: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11368985
    Direct Quote: "Both implants appear to induce mild insulin resistance . . ."
    So that begs the question, what does mild insulin resistance cause????

Exhibit B: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance
    Direct Quote: (it's under signs and symptoms) "Weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight – for most people, excess weight is from high fat storage; the fat in IR is generally stored in and around abdominal organs in both males and females; it is currently suspected that hormones produced in that fat are a precipitating cause of insulin resistance"

And all this leads to an increased chance of weight gain - so suprising o.O
    Still for everyone who reads this, do make sure to eat healthily and maintain a regular exercise schedule as not doing so will only make the problem worse in which case the weight gain will not end as a result of removing the implant.

• prowlandpounce
    prowlandpounce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself on this. I gained a lot of weight on zero birth control in 2009 going from 170 to 201 pounds. It was poor eating habits and drinking wine and not working out. I accept that. I decided to go to Lindora and I lost 30 pounds in 10 weeks. I was happy. I got into a relationship and put in the implanon. I loved it. No periods, slightly moody but I didn't care about that. No weight gain at all, (except when I ate badly) and I was pretty active so I would only gain like 6-7 pounds max and taking out the pizza brought me back to normal.Then I got a bit crazy on the diet tip again and went down to 155 on the implanon. After the 3 years the implanon was up and the relationship was over, I decided that this was working for me so i got the nexplanon (what they offered at planned parenthood, now the implanon was no longer available.) even though i was single, i was happy with the implanon so i figured i would be happy with the nexplanon. i am not. i started gaining the weight despite no changes in diet and working out up to 2 hours a day and 6 days a week. I got back up to 175. I would go effortlessly to the gym, went to eating no carbs, refined sugar or processed foods for months, still nothing, maybe a pound or two dropped. After about two years I gained back all the weight I lost years ago. I even went to Khloe Kardashian's nutrionist because she looks so amazing (and he is not cheap at all), adhered to his regime, worked out like a maniac and barely made a dent. I got to the point I was so frustrated I was like forget it. I'm killing myself and I can't lose weight. I had bloodwork done, I had my thyroid checked and everything was normal. I went back to Lindora, where I lost all the weight before recently and found out I was at 220. Currently, I am back to busting my *kitten* and it's been a month and I've lost 4 pounds. No cheating. No lying and all trying. I am single so I am getting the nexplanon removed tomorrow morning. Has anyone that has been on it for a long time gotten side effects later on? The Implanon worked great and I heard there were changes with the nexplanon that could be my reasoning for the gain. Regardless, I'm not sexually active so I might as well see how I do with it out. Oh and I started spotting about a month and a half ago. I had cut out the drinking in november (when I had done that before I dropped weight even without the diet and workouts) just dieting and working out now and still nothing. If it works for you, that's awesome. I really wish it did for me because I loved it but now I'll be back to getting a period and whatnot and hope to see some positive changes in the near future. Curious if anyone has been in my sitch?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Most of the people "in your sich" here posted 4 years ago, but I'm sure some new ones will be along soon.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had the implant put in 2 years ago, it's been difficult to lose weight but after tirelessly counting calories and doing insanity, I have lost some inches and my clothes are starting to loosen. It's been tough, with slow successes. But I know it's possible for me to lose weight on it. When I try really hard and when I am in my home country (I live abroad now) over the holidays and can accurately count calories of food, the scale does go down.

As for the implant, I went on it thinking it would stop my period as mine involves taking a lot of medication before and during to help the pain. My doctor said it would lighten my period or stop it. It didn't do anything. My period is as regular as it was before and still a massive pain. So I'm considering getting it removed just because it didn't do what I had hoped. I wonder if the weight gain is linked to stopping the period?
  • emspurser
    emspurser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I have had my implanon removed three days ago. I didn't have it removed for weightloss. *TMI* I had been getting my period too often. However in saying that, I live an incredibly active lifestyle and eat very well. I have noticed that the two years I have had the implanon have been really tough to improve my physique despite training 5 times a week, twice a day using programs like Kayla's BBG and Amanda Bisks FBFM (the latter is what I am currently doing and cannot recommend it highly enough).

I will continue working out and eating as per usual and will update you all on my progress over the coming weeks.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    emspurser wrote: »
    Hey ladies, I have had my implanon removed three days ago. I didn't have it removed for weightloss. *TMI* I had been getting my period too often. However in saying that, I live an incredibly active lifestyle and eat very well. I have noticed that the two years I have had the implanon have been really tough to improve my physique despite training 5 times a week, twice a day using programs like Kayla's BBG and Amanda Bisks FBFM (the latter is what I am currently doing and cannot recommend it highly enough).

I will continue working out and eating as per usual and will update you all on my progress over the coming weeks.

Yes please let us know what the results are after.

I've also been finding it hard to lose weight since getting the implant.

I should be at end of my 3 years this Christmas, so I am planning on just getting it taken out. I had problems with my period being super painful all my life, so I was hoping it would lessen pain or lessen it completely. But it made no difference.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

"Implanon is why I can't lose weight!!"

"Don't call me fat!"

Honey, get a grip. I assumed since you want to lose weight, and are throwing a hissy fit about the evils of Implanon, that you were overweight. Perhaps I was mistaken. What word would you prefer? Overweight? Over your ideal of what your weight should be? Please, help me help you understand. I did say (REPEATEDLY) that it was *possible* and that only proper labwork could show you WHY that was the case. But, you may just be a special snowflake, so I'll give you that. :flowerforyou:

Just so you know DamienKitten the implants are scientifically proven to increase weight gain over an extended period of time - I will cite 2 websites shortly as proof. Whether you gain weight or not is mainly due to your body's natural hormone level and metabolism prior to the implant. In my case I gained 50lbs while keeping the same lifestyle (I am a swimmer which burns calories so it was quite a shock to me and caused me to go the the doctor and ask what's going on). After getting the implant removed I lost the weight while still maintaining the same lifestyle. For you to attack anyone no matter how long ago it was was quite frankly disgusting. Instead of making people feel bad you should first do some in depth research and then make your comment - otherwise you don't belong on this site. Besides calling her a special case is horridly incorrect - it's quite common, although that doesn't make you wrong either. Everyone's body is different, but here's some government studies proving weight gain can be linked to the implants.

Exhibit A: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11368985
    Direct Quote: "Both implants appear to induce mild insulin resistance . . ."
    So that begs the question, what does mild insulin resistance cause????

Exhibit B: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance
    Direct Quote: (it's under signs and symptoms) "Weight gain, fat storage, difficulty losing weight – for most people, excess weight is from high fat storage; the fat in IR is generally stored in and around abdominal organs in both males and females; it is currently suspected that hormones produced in that fat are a precipitating cause of insulin resistance"

And all this leads to an increased chance of weight gain - so suprising o.O
    Still for everyone who reads this, do make sure to eat healthily and maintain a regular exercise schedule as not doing so will only make the problem worse in which case the weight gain will not end as a result of removing the implant.

first study actually finishes with "Both implants appear to induce mild insulin resistance but no significant change in serum glucose levels. These alterations in carbohydrate metabolism should have no clinical significance in healthy women."...and it was done on 80 women..not a big enough study to conclude insulin resistance is caused...and this was done in 2001...almost 20 years ago...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/734669_12 here is a more recent one...
    https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=63647

"In clinical studies, mean weight gain in US IMPLANON users was 2.8 pounds after 1 year and 3.7 pounds after 2 years. How much of the weight gain was related to IMPLANON is unknown. In studies, 2.3% of IMPLANON users reported weight gain as the reason for having IMPLANON removed."

and wikipedia can be altered by non medical folks so that is not a source.

Yes Birth control can cause increase appetite which leads to weight gain but it is the responsibility of the individual to ensure that they are watching calories if they don't want to gain or if they want to lose...

Yes Birth control can lead to water retention up to 20lbs...max...but not 40 or 50lbs...that is based on how much people are eating...so it comes down to this...

BC can impact your body so do the research but don't blame it for weight gain or inability to lose...that is all about what is going in your mouth...and only you control that.
  • Samanthaneider60
    Samanthaneider60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To those saying that Nexplanon or Implanon does not "make" or help you gain weight...
    Why does the Dr. specifically tell you that weight gain is a potential side effect? Or why is three quarters of the comments on here of women complaining that the problem they're having is with weight gain? The whole point in the implant is to trick your body into thinking it's pregnant by not releasing the egg. I mean did any of you do any research before having this put into your body?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    To those saying that Nexplanon or Implanon does not "make" or help you gain weight...
    Why does the Dr. specifically tell you that weight gain is a potential side effect? Or why is three quarters of the comments on here of women complaining that the problem they're having is with weight gain? The whole point in the implant is to trick your body into thinking it's pregnant by not releasing the egg. I mean did any of you do any research before having this put into your body?

The reason why it is said that it does not make you gain weight is because it can't...it has no calories.

If it does help you gain weight it is either one of two ways....increase water retention (not real weight) or increases your appetite which if you are not careful will have you eating a lot more than you think if you don't track.

The reason why it is listed as a side effect on all birth control method that are hormonal is due to the way the clinical trials are run.

The get a group of (in this case women) together and pay them money to take their drug/have it inserted.

Then send them home and tell them..."let us know if anything odd happens at all"...so these women go home and they gain weight due to increased appetite and report back ...omg I've gained 25lbs this year...holy crap.

This is now listed as a side effect of the drug...because it was reported as unusual...but remember these women are not being monitored in anyway or kept on a calorie controlled diet...that would be to expensive.

Weight gain can only happen in one of two instances...

Extra calories ingested or water/glycogen weight...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    awendler1 wrote: »
    Umm I think birth control does have a bit to do with weight gain. Yes you are choosing to put the food in your mouth, but elevated levels of progesterone affect your body comp, how that food is metabolized, etc. and MOST importantly makes it much more difficult to lose that weight. I had mine for a year and a half, gained a bit but mostly had trouble losing the weight. Had it removed due to other side effects a few weeks ago and have had the most substantial weight loss I have experienced in that entire year and a half despite not changing my routine in the slightest. Yes you can control some aspects of weight gain on hormonal contraceptives, but to say the two are unrelated is simply untrue.

I'm not having any trouble losing weight. Nor am I having any trouble changing my body comp. My weight gain and muscle lost came from 1) loving to eat and 2) not exercising. Could you site a study that says birth control effects your metabolism in a direct and meaningful way? It's quite possible that the hormones were not right for you, but for anyone to make a sweeping statement about it being "because of birth control" is ridiculous. Plenty of us are losing while on it. To say that they're always related, is simply untrue.

Have you even educated yourself on the subject?
    1. Why are you on here calling people fat? If you don't want to be helpful don't participate in the discussion. And word to the wise check yourself (and your profile pic) before you're describing other people as fat
    2. Hormonal changes CAN but will NOT ALWAYS be directly linked to weight loss and gain. Here's the actual nexplanon site wich lists weight gain as a side effect.
    https://www.nexplanon.com/side-effects/
    3. Along with mood swings weight gain is the most common side effect of this particular birth control

Not everyone's body processes these hormones the same. To say you have no problems so no one else ever should have a problem is completely ignorant.

where was anyone called fat???
    except in your post which is getting reported

educated means you know how studies are run which means you know that they are not controlled and that the calories are not in check and they are told to report any "unusual" things...less than 5% reported weight gain....and I have the studies to show that...do you have studies showing weight gain is directly related to birth control?
  • crystra82
    crystra82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This seems like an old post, but nevertheless: i have been slowly lowering my calories from a "healthy" amount for someone who strength trains, in small increments down to about 900 calories. I know someone will bring up starvation mode. But even during the weeks i was holding steady at 1400 or 1200 calories. I was not losing weight.
    Before implanon i held steady at 114 and could eat anything and never gained weight. A year after i had depression and began overeating. I went up to 152.
    This year i have been practically living at the gym. I cannot get below 130. Its been months of calorie restriction and exercise. I have gotten to the point where i no longer have cheat meals.
    It seems it would be simple math to calculate how to lose weight. But unfortunately i do agree that some part of what the birth control does is effecting my journey. Ive never had this much trouble in my life. Just fyi. My personal experience, for others who are in a similar circumstance.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I do not use hormonal birth control because for me they:
    - exacerbate my mood disorder
    - wreak havoc with my menstrual cycle (dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia)
    - cause weight gain; bloated belly, swollen breasts, some fat (which basically goes within a few months of stopping whatever)

This is on the pill, of mini pill etc although I've been off it for about 15 years because they disagree with me so much.

The way these drugs work is to trick your body (with hormones) into thinking you are in the early stages of pregnancy so it doesn't release an egg or thicken up your uterine lining.

I personal find that a bit irksome in itself.

Don't get me wrong; I'm pro birth control and if you tolerate hormonal forms, power to you.

I have watched more than one friend 'blow up' weight wise while on Implanon. They also experienced inconvenient spotting and irritability.

On this topic I think it's important to recognise, standard 'blood work' does not look at hormone levels. A full blood count looks at blood cells. Chem 20 looks at chemical markers that monitor renal function etc. LFTs look at liver enzymes.

Hormonal tests are quite a different thing than standard blood work, so blah blah blah blood work is kind of vague.

Also, unless you are an endocrinologist or gynaecologist reviewing the details of a specific person's clinical history in a professional capacity, do you really think it's appropriate to comment on whether a synthetic hormone is affecting that person's weight gain/loss/maintenance or not?

Anticipating the passive aggressive woos.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I do not use hormonal birth control because for me they:
    - exacerbate my mood disorder
    - wreak havoc with my menstrual cycle (dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia)
    - cause weight gain; bloated belly, swollen breasts, some fat (which basically goes within a few months of stopping whatever)

This is on the pill, of mini pill etc although I've been off it for about 15 years because they disagree with me so much.

The way these drugs work is to trick your body (with hormones) into thinking you are in the early stages of pregnancy so it doesn't release an egg or thicken up your uterine lining.

I personal find that a bit irksome in itself.

Don't get me wrong; I'm pro birth control and if you tolerate hormonal forms, power to you.

I have watched more than one friend 'blow up' weight wise while on Implanon. They also experienced inconvenient spotting and irritability.

On this topic I think it's important to recognise, standard 'blood work' does not look at hormone levels. A full blood count looks at blood cells. Chem 20 looks at chemical markers that monitor renal function etc. LFTs look at liver enzymes.

Hormonal tests are quite a different thing than standard blood work, so blah blah blah blood work is kind of vague.

Also, unless you are an endocrinologist or gynaecologist reviewing the details of a specific person's clinical history in a professional capacity, do you really think it's appropriate to comment on whether a synthetic hormone is affecting that person's weight gain/loss/maintenance or not?

Anticipating the passive aggressive woos.

Yes if you are up on the current studies etc of BC.

and if you understand science at all.

If there is weight gain up to lets say 10-15lbs while on BC and it stays there chances are it is water retention from the hormones but that is a fact of life with BC and is not really weight...might be bloating and uncomfortable but it can be that or the rest of your life caring for the child...pick.

2nd you can't gain actual weight without increasing calories and that is not from BC...it has none. So if you blow up in weight on BC and I mean over 20lbs then you need to look at intake...partially because all BC side effects note "increased appetite and weight gain"...note increased appetite comes first....

As well if you knew how studies were conducted on BC that kind of sheds some light....so here it is in a nutshell.

Woman are told to take this pill/implant/shot etc and report back any thing odd that wasn't present before.

they are not in a lab being monitored on a calorie controlled diet etc.

So less than 5% of woman report weight gain..that is automatically listed as a possible side effect...

So if 8% of the woman note husbands left that would be the next one...(Joking of course) but that is how side effects are listed...

I get BC can cause issues...my hair thinned...i held onto 5-10 lbs of water weight...my breast got sore etc...but any actually weight I gained was cause I ate too much.
  • hollygardner92
    hollygardner92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my implant out almost a week ago, not due to weight gain but because I want to try an alternative method of contraception, to improve my mood and get to know my body and it’s cycles better.

I gained weight while on the implant, I had it for 4 years in total but I also lost weight as well when I tried and was focused. I know that my weight gain was due to an increased appetite and an appetite for the wrong things!!

Since removing the implant I haven’t lost weight as such but I feel less bloated, happier, more in control of what I’m eating and not feeling a need to binge. I hope this paired with more exercise will lead to healthy weight loss.
  • BeccaJo13
    BeccaJo13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had nexplanon inserted on December 22, 2016. From then until July, I had extremely long periods with next to no break in between. I've had terrible acne, and I never attributed that to the implant until now. My family has looked at me and said, "You have an eating problem," and "You need to lose weight," but I haven't changed my eating/exercise habits whatsoever. I look in the mirror, and I see new stretch marks, and I'm starting to panic. I do P90X cardio nearly every day, and I don't eat unhealthy snacks/junk food or drink soda, but it seems like every day I look worse and worse. I'm losing confidence in myself. I've also been getting awful acne, which I never had before getting the implant. If I get the implant removed, will that solve the problem? Will my weight go back to normal? I was about 165 lbs. before I got the implant, and I guarantee that I'm near 200 lbs. now. I'm so tired of this weight gain....
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    ydxmp7g9rjtt.jpg
  • Ssg25
    Ssg25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had the implant for nearly 2 years now and it hasn't caused weight gain at all. When I started watching my calories and working out I lost weight, same as before the implant
  • yaritza0187
    yaritza0187 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've had the same weight gain issue. I feel all of you who are working so hard and have not seen any results. The second time I had the nexplanon inserted I have been slowly gaining weight. The doctor told me that they changed the nexplanon ingredients but there wasn't a big difference. The doc didn't exactly tell me how it changed. I think the changes made it worst. I have put on about 25 lbs in less than 3 years, and it could have been more if I did not battle with it. The last draw was these past few months in which I have been strictly dieting and keeping a food diary, and exercising 4 times a week for more than an hour combining cardio and strength training. Guess what? I gained 2 lbs. How in the heck do you gain when you are exercising and eating right? I was fuming. Those of you who don't believe it, there are more of us with the weight issue than without as you can tell by the comments. I had to to change OBGYN doctors and argue with my new one to convince him that it was the nexplanon. I am getting it removed in 2 weeks. Those will be the longest 2 weeks of my life. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have confirmed what I was thinking all along. I will keep you updated.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi

I've had the same weight gain issue. I feel all of you who are working so hard and have not seen any results. The second time I had the nexplanon inserted I have been slowly gaining weight. The doctor told me that they changed the nexplanon ingredients but there wasn't a big difference. The doc didn't exactly tell me how it changed. I think the changes made it worst. I have put on about 25 lbs in less than 3 years, and it could have been more if I did not battle with it. The last draw was these past few months in which I have been strictly dieting and keeping a food diary, and exercising 4 times a week for more than an hour combining cardio and strength training. Guess what? I gained 2 lbs. How in the heck do you gain when you are exercising and eating right? I was fuming. Those of you who don't believe it, there are more of us with the weight issue than without as you can tell by the comments. I had to to change OBGYN doctors and argue with my new one to convince him that it was the nexplanon. I am getting it removed in 2 weeks. Those will be the longest 2 weeks of my life. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have confirmed what I was thinking all along. I will keep you updated.

I'm not here to talk you out of removing your nexplanon, but want to point out that your reasoning is flawed.

1. I bet there are plenty of guys here who have gained 25 pounds in three years, and of course are not using hormonal BC.
    2. Lots of things affect the number on the scale - notoriously water weight. I have water weight gains twice per month - when I ovulate and premenstrually. We can also have a water weight gain due to exercise stress or emotional stress.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dietary-restraint-and-cortisol-levels-research-review.html/

...a group of women who scored higher on dietary restraint scores showed elevated baseline cortisol levels. By itself this might not be problematic, but as often as not, these types of dieters are drawn to extreme approaches to dieting.

They throw in a lot of intense exercise, try to cut calories very hard (and this often backfires if disinhibition is high; when these folks break they break) and cortisol levels go through the roof. That often causes cortisol mediated water retention (there are other mechanisms for this, mind you, leptin actually inhibits cortisol release and as it drops on a diet, cortisol levels go up further). Weight and fat loss appear to have stopped or at least slowed significantly. This is compounded even further in female dieters due to the vagaries of their menstrual cycle where water balance is changing enormously week to week anyhow.

And invariably, this type of psychology responds to the stall by going even harder. They attempt to cut calories harder, they start doing more activity. The cycle continues and gets worse. Harder dieting means more cortisol means more water retention means more dieting. Which backfires (other problems come in the long-term with this approach but you’ll have to wait for the book to read about that).

When what they should do is take a day or two off (even one day off from training, at least in men, let’s cortisol drop significantly). Raise calories, especially from carbohydrates. This helps cortisol to drop. More than that they need to find a way to freaking chill out. Meditation, yoga, get a massage... Get in the bath, candles, a little Enya, a glass of wine, have some you-time but please just chill.
  • yaritza0187
    yaritza0187 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't know me or how my body works so reserve your judgemental comments to yourself and anyone who is too basic to to listen to you. I know what I am doing. The way that I am eating and exercising is not stressing me. What stresses me is the Implanon and the FACT that it makes you gain weight and retain fluid and FAT. Also, are you a doctor? or a Specialist in hormonal imbalances in women? Your comment does not apply to most of us. People like you think they know it all. Well, you don't.