Roast okay?

Options
I have a roast sitting in my freezer...it's fresh meat....i got it from my aunt who got it from a friend of hers that gives them "live" or "fresh" meat every year...I'm wondering if this is something that would be ok to eat...i'm not sure what the nutritional value is, so i'm hoping someone else might be able to provide some help..

thanks

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Of course it's ok to eat. You can probably look up the nutritional values on here to get an idea, but it won't be exact. Just watch your portions and if it's a fattier meat, keep your other fats down the day you eat it if that is a concern for you.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    I have a roast sitting in my freezer...it's fresh meat....i got it from my aunt who got it from a friend of hers that gives them "live" or "fresh" meat every year...I'm wondering if this is something that would be ok to eat...i'm not sure what the nutritional value is, so i'm hoping someone else might be able to provide some help..

thanks

What kind is it (rump, shoulder, round, brisket, tenderloin)?
    If you know what kind you can google nutritional value. cook it with spices and not fats and be sure to trim any fat off of it (before you eat it, dont eat any of the fat).
    Pair the roast with a baked potato (about 5 oz) and lots of veggies and that is a good meal!
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    Yum! It's definitly ok to eat. My family usually makes a roast a few Sunday's a month and we have family dinners. I usually eat a slice of roast, and have lots of salad and yummy veggies, and sometimes even those ever-present mashed potatoes and gravy. like the previous response says, just watch your portions and enjoy your meal!
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    Yum! It's definitly ok to eat. My family usually makes a roast a few Sunday's a month and we have family dinners. I usually eat a slice of roast, and have lots of salad and yummy veggies, and sometimes even those ever-present mashed potatoes and gravy. like the previous response says, just watch your portions and enjoy your meal!

One more thing...the last roast I cooked, I divided the leftovers into portions, put in freezer bags, and froze for whenever I needed something different than what the family was having or for lunch.
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    does anyone know of a good low cal, low sal, low sodium, etc gravy that i can put with it...i usually make my own but that was before I started eating healthier LOL...any suggestions are welcome....if not, we will just eat it without gravy
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Roast is great, like others say watch the portion size. As for the gravy, that may be something that you will have to pass on. The base for any good gravy is fat, from the roast or margarine, and flour.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    does anyone know of a good low cal, low sal, low sodium, etc gravy that i can put with it...i usually make my own but that was before I started eating healthier LOL...any suggestions are welcome....if not, we will just eat it without gravy

Slow cook that bad boy with some onion soup mix, carrots, potatoes, and onions, then just watch your portion size.

I bought some chuck roasts a couple weeks ago because they were BOGO. I made the above with one and we made beef stroganoff (which is in no way low calorie/low fat :laugh:) with the other. YUM! When we had the stroganoff, I just kept my calories down all day & exercised a little more so that I could use about 650 calories on dinner (for a generous but reasonable portion).