How do I get enough calories to work out?

Options
Now that i'm down to 17.3% body fat and 160 lbs, I'd like to start working out and eating at maintenance level while I work on lowering my body fat percentage, so that I'll be a little happier with my body when I get to around 13%. I realize I need to eat a caloric surplus to gain muscle, but right now i'm just simply struggling to eat maintenance!!

How in the heck do I eat 2100-2300 calories a day, without going over on my sugar limit in particular. I mean, for the love of god I'm only allowed 43 grams of sugar per day, and one medium banana (often part of my breakfast), is 14.4g of sugar. That's more then 1/4 of my daily sugar allowance... just in one banana... how am I supposed to hit 2100 calories with those limits?

Also without those limits... I feel it still extremely hard to hit my caloric goal of 2100 a day while eating healthy. I don't want to eat bad things just to get to my calorie limit as this seems counter productive, but when eating veggies, lean chicken, nuts, etc., I still come in, AT MOST at around 1800 calories a day when I'm trying particularly hard, and usually at about 1600. I eat something healthy EVERY time I'm hungry in the day. Breakfast , turkey sandwhiches, chicken breast, fruits, etc.!

Help :(.

Replies

• sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No one :(?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes, sugar isn't something you should worry about, particularly sugars from fruits and natural foods. I *personally* still try to minimize my processed sugar.

Also, calorie dense foods. Avocado, nuts, full fat cheeses and yogurts are all higher in calories and still good for you.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    You want to get down to 13%? Wow! Are you competing?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calorically dense foods

Oils

Full fat dairy

Nuts

Nut butters

Avocados

Pasta

Ice Cream
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    Start checking out diaries based on profile pics. Find a couple to emulate.

I'm at 1900 and hitting it pretty close.

Ask around regarding sugars. I don't think that those from fruits (i.e. your banana) have as harmful an effect as processed sugars.

Friend request sent.
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    You want to get down to 13%? Wow! Are you competing?

Competing with myself... to see if I can look the best I know I can! =) TBH i actually want to go for about 15%, but I shoot a little high (or low depending how you look at it) on my goals.

@Acg, I saw ice cream and I like you already 8). Haha jk :p, but i'm scared of pasta... I'm told that pasta and other bread like things contain so much carbs that it's bad for you when you're trying to take in a lot of protein.

And ok I guess I'll disreguard sugar, as they are almost all from fruits, all natural peanut butter, yogurt (I should probably get some better natural greek yogurt, but that sugar in that is even... geeze).

Thanks all!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Get the sugar phobia out of your system. Unnecessary worry. Just eat adequate protein and don't stress the rest. If you're not eating lowfat everything you should be getting sufficient fat--carbs...they're not evil, I promise!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be so hung up on the sugar if it is in the form of fruit. I keep thinking I need to keep my carbs down, but I like a banana first thing (3 am) before my work out. Also, even the plain yogurt I like, very healthy really, contains 7 grams of sugar.

So, first, I would loosen up on that a bit.

You could also consider adding a protein shake once or twice a day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have no problem getting around 2100 a day, but I don't care about sugar and I'm not afraid of carbs. I still get between 100-150g of protein a day.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't count the sugar in fruit so I subtract that from my total when I go over.
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    Thanks guys, you made me feel much better! I was starting to feel guilty about eatig apples, bananas, and yogurt, and that's when I thought.... Wtf lol.

I'll go ahead and turn my sugar tracking off, as I am largely a number tracker it annoys me to see it so negative.

And I've been able to hit about 140g of protein a day via chicken, nuts, etc.
    I plan to start taking protein powder in the form of shakes, but that will be the next topid I start in a sec..

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • xHeraclesx
    Options
    You dont need to eat a caloric surplus to gain muscle, necessarily. Keep your calories as is and keep your protein high, as in 1g per lb of bodyweight. As long as your protein is high you wont lose muscle, but only fat once your body taps in your fat stores.

To come down to bodybuilding shape id go as low as 2000. Sure others that are on steroids will have other advice. But if your natural, and you want to get lean and hard you keep your calories low, eat many meals through the day and have protein shakes to boost up your protein intake instead of trying to get that with food.

Stick to chicken/Fish (salmon is GREAT) and vegggies. Id keep it under 200g carbs a day also and taper them off, as the day goes on. Im sure you knew this though.

I went from 6 pack and insane shape to fat 260 lbs and im doing this now all over again. It seems like whenever I reached my ultimate goal I didnt appreciate what I accomplished and would just let it go. Not anymore, this is last time!

As for fruits, I dont think they are too bad, sugar wise but just be careful. Apple right after gym help curb your appetitle a little and its great.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn how to do this right now. I am having trouble eating enough too. I am probably over worried about the sugars, as I have prediabetes. I say over-worried as I have just read* that you (& I!) can "ignore the Sugars because they are included in the Total Carb." So I think it should be OK to just watch the carbs.

Other suggestions from the book include simply adding a protein/carb exchange to each meal, and having morning, afternoon and evening snacks.

*American Diabetes Association (2011-11-10). The American Diabetes Association Month of Meals Diabetes Meal Planner (Kindle Location 409). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    You dont need to eat a caloric surplus to gain muscle, necessarily. Keep your calories as is and keep your protein high, as in 1g per lb of bodyweight. As long as your protein is high you wont lose muscle, but only fat once your body taps in your fat stores.

To come down to bodybuilding shape id go as low as 2000. Sure others that are on steroids will have other advice. But if your natural, and you want to get lean and hard you keep your calories low, eat many meals through the day and have protein shakes to boost up your protein intake instead of trying to get that with food.

Stick to chicken/Fish (salmon is GREAT) and vegggies. Id keep it under 200g carbs a day also and taper them off, as the day goes on. Im sure you knew this though.

I went from 6 pack and insane shape to fat 260 lbs and im doing this now all over again. It seems like whenever I reached my ultimate goal I didnt appreciate what I accomplished and would just let it go. Not anymore, this is last time!

As for fruits, I dont think they are too bad, sugar wise but just be careful. Apple right after gym help curb your appetitle a little and its great.

that was extremely helpful, will send a friend request!