Using a Sportline heart monitor

Options
Hello everyone.

I have a sportline heart monitor/calorie counter that I use when I work out. I touch it often...say every two minutes as I am working out.....

For instance......I have been doing Leslie Sansone's 5 mile Fat Burning Walk on a rather consistent basis....and I have been doing the full 5 miles. According to my heart monitor I have been burning between 850 to 950 calories in an hour.

Now....here is my question....can I really trust that reading? Again, I touch the monitor every two minutes....

Take this week...I have walked 15 miles thus far.....my scale is only going up....not down. I have been under my calorie count as well....

Should I take these readings for what they are? Thanks for your input.

Replies

• Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these myself and tried it out for the first time today. Some of the calorie readings are different from what the machines give me, like the treadmill, but the treadmill reading seems to go based off whether I am going uphill or steady and doesnt seem to change based on my heart rate no matter what it is...but things like the circuit trainer the calories burned are practically the same, maybe of 20-30 calories and I guess it would be different depending on how hard your pushing it....I'm not really sure if I trust it yet myself, either way I am sticking to my 1290 calories whether I workout or not, that's been working for me, I don't want to overeat because I think I am burning more then I am!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an awful lot for one of those DVD's. I burn about 600 in an hour running at 10 mph just for reference.