gas from high protein diet

Options
My main goal is to increase musle mass, so I've been shooting for 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. The effects have been pretty foul to say the least! You know it's bad when you're grossed out by your own gas. : ( Has anyone had similar problems? Can anyone give me advice? I need some more friends on FP, so feel free to send a request and we can help keep each other motivated.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It happens to everyone, and is largely a function of heavy dietary change. It goes away after a while. Eventually, your body will get to the point where eating any large amount of carbs (such as on a refeed) will make you smell like you've **** yourself, as the protein is doing now.

There are a lot of probiotics out there that can help get you through this rather pungent phase, if it bothers you that bad. I have never used any, so I am hesitant to recommend any particular brand.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes!!! if I consume a super high amount of protein, especially oatmeal....you don't want to be around me lol....it does cause gas for some people for sure :tongue:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Beano is my friend. I HAVE to take 2 of them before I eat my morning oatmeal or I can't stand to be around myself. It's especially hard if I'm shopping and have no one with me to 'quietly' blame it on. lol

Beano is expensive but there is a generic one available at GNC.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes beano does work very well!!!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I have this problem too. Yesterday, I felt sorry for the people sitting around me in the spin room. The fans were blowing hard so I was hoping that the lady sitting next to me thought the stench was circulating from somewhere else in the room!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I notice you use protein powder ... that combined with the other dairy makes me wonder if that may be an issue for you? I was in my 40s and trying to up the mileage without success because I'd get incredible cramps and um, other issues. I read in a running mag that dairy can cause this so thought I'd give it a try to cut it out. Within a week it was amazing the difference. If you're intent on using protein powders, maybe try egg white based while you're figuring this out. Also, again for me the beans are highly aromatic ... just sayin' :-) YMMV
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Try whey protein isolate. The lactose is likely causing your problem and isolates contain no lactose.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely foul for a couple of weeks, but I stuck with it and thankfully I am now a stinkfree girl again. As above I think it is the change that causes it, not the protein itself, so stick with it.