1200 is not difficult.

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    It's silly how people get fixated on the number 1200. Some of us are well under five feet tall and have much lower BMR/RMR. Sub-1200 can be a safe, healthy option for such people, if they are sedentary.

Seriously, I'd never wished I were taller (am 5' 2") until I started counting calories... I want a higher BMR dammit!

I know plenty of women on here who are short and eat more than 1200 calories per day. Hell, I know someone who is 4'11" and eats 2,000+ calories per day. She is fit and healthy. Height matters a little, but it is not everything.

I'm 5'2 and eat 1850-2000 calories to lose weight. And I don't do any excessive cardio. I lift heavy weights 3 times per week for about 35 minutes and I get 10 000 steps in every day.

And according to my bio imdedence analysis I have a very slow metabolism which I believe is because of years of eating at 1200 cals or less. I am working to fix that and in the last 6 months of increasing my calories and lifting weights I have increased my metabolism (though I still have a long way to go to get it to normal levels).
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of women on here who are short and eat more than 1200 calories per day. Hell, I know someone who is 4'11" and eats 2,000+ calories per day. She is fit and healthy. Height matters a little, but it is not everything.
    I see taller women here posting things like "my BMR is 1600." Do you know what I would do for a BMR that high!?

Never said all short ladies need sub-1200 to lose weight. My whole point is that there is no magic number that means the same outcome to EVERYONE. One short lady might need 2000+ calories, another might need as little as 1300. Hell, even I can't do 1200 net these days, even though I was doing just fine at 1000 net back when I was obese.

I am 5'2 and my BMR is 1650.
  • kmadki4
    kmadki4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    God, it cracks me up how everyone on this site thinks they're a world renowned expert in nutrition, biochemistry and physiology. Each person is made differently, so there is no right or wrong "answer" here.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    God, it cracks me up how everyone on this site thinks they're a world renowned expert in nutrition, biochemistry and physiology. Each person is made differently, so there is no right or wrong "answer" here.

I agree. now

5656d1246463472-die_thread_die.jpg
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What a stupid thread.

I found learning to drive easy. Therefore it should be easy for everyone.

I also find advanced math easy. Therefore advanced math should be easy for everyone.

I also find jumping out of a plane easy. Therefore it should be easy for anyone to jump out a plane.

Yep. We're all the same, don't ya know.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This is what I think every time I see this thread...and ive seen hundreds of this thread BTW....usually followed months later by the "Eating 1200 and not losing! What gives?" Thread.

284526_343676532387766_1448721136_n_zps1d5f819c.jpg

Then I'm like.....
    558655_344181652337254_321446911_n.jpg

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.
    Eating below BMR gives fat a reason to exist.
    Period.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't tell these people :-

48413764714673585_8NIygBW3_c.jpg

Biggest fat loss at 3 and 6 months was the 890 calorie group who ate 890 until 15% weight loss (< 3 months) and then maintenance. I bet the 25% CR people were envious.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    facepalm.jpg
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    These threads.. it always turns into the same thing.

Someone has to say something like "OMG why are you people complaining 1200 calories is easy! Stop eating crap!"

Then you get the group of people who are like "Damn, you be starving yourself"..

Then you get OP who says something like "Well it works for me, I never said everyone"

THEN WHY EVEN START THE THREAD?! >.<

By saying it is "easy" etc etc you are implying that all the people complaining are doing things the wrong way and everyone can do it if they just do like you.

These threads always just end in drama llama and are absolutely pointless except to debate the same things that have been debated over and over while people get offended, angry, defensive and butt-hurt.

i don't say it to be mean, but it is pointless to argue over such things, so why even start?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Don't tell these people :-

48413764714673585_8NIygBW3_c.jpg

Biggest fat loss at 3 and 6 months was the 890 calorie group who ate 890 until 15% weight loss (< 3 months) and then maintenance. I bet the 25% CR people were envious.

The point I'm making is to have a sustainable lifestyle. 800cals isnt sustainable.
    Frankly its ****ing stupid.
    When i'm replicating better losses at higher calories than the VLCDs.....

I cant figure you out sometimes Yarrow.
    Some days you are pro eating right and some days you are against it.

I do 1373 a day
    That is my BMR for my ideal weight
    since I am so heavy right now it hurts to work out. I do walks right now. When I get to a point where I can do a real nice 200-300 cal burn work out I will increase my calories.

Eating this few calories the first few days was HARD top that with carb/sugar/caffiene withdrawls! I am still going through those with drawls but now I know what to expect and I can work through them.

I dont find myself starving or murderous but I do find eating consistantly and when I am supposed to helps. Also, I have starting toting all my own food, even soup and crackers and protien shakes in my car. If I am ever in a jam I want to have access and the capability to stick to my plan.

A low cal diet is def not for everyone.... but it does work.

Lift weights and walk is the best advice.
    If you arent getting stronger on a weekly basis then you arent eating enough and losing lean mass.
  • mtdubree
    Options
    For me 1200 is difficult unless I am busy. I usually eat between 1200-1500 a day and my average is about 1350 which I feel great about. I'm not concerned with losing weight fast. I have my goals set to 1 lb a week and I feel great with eating 1350.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    One other thing to consider is after dieting down at low cals and dropping RMR/BMR, when adjusting back up to maintenance you'll generally gain fat back due to the VLCD.
    Also on most studies of VLCDs vs moderate cuts over the course of a year show only about a 4% difference between groups below 1k and groups around 1500-1800.
    I don't know about you but I'd rather eat right, move right and lose right.

Also most of the studies on VLCD don't show the participants having much activity.
    That's almost the opposite of what we see on this site.
    People eating too few cals and working out way too much.

Just an observation.