I'm An Idiot

Options
I need a little help with some calorie math there. I ate a cup and a half of rice but the serving size is 1/4 cup. Doing that math, I just consumed 900 calories alone in rice, d'oh! Now, 1/4 cup rice is 150 calories according to the package but the package also says that the 1/4 cup of rice makes 3/4 cup when cooked. So I'm confused, is the cooked portion (3/4) the serving size or am I suppose to have 1/4 of the cooked? If I had the cooked serving size, then I actually had 300 calories instead of the 900.

Which is the actual serving size?

Replies

• Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Uncooked serving size unless otherwise indicated the packaging. This goes for pretty much any food you cook, ie 150g of steak will become about 100g when you cook it, but you measure off the uncooked weight.

^Edit: What does it say on the packaging?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    1.5 cups of rice cooked is around 300-400 calories depending on the type of rice... so its the 300 ur lookn at not 900..
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The 1/4 cup is dry rice... you need to figure out how much you cooked and what portion of it you ate.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I knew something was wrong, and it was with me. I didn't read the package right. XD

Again thank you.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You figured it out. I has nothing special to contribute
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You've now alerted me to the fact that I've been recording my rice incorrectly. I cook a big batch and freeze it in 1/2 cups lots and log it as such. I should really the pack properly 'cause I'm no doubt ripping myself off.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I won't argue with ya
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Rice is calorie dense. So it's important to weigh it. Cups are the devil's measure and a source of 'invisible' calories.

Do you have a digital food scale?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Rice is calorie dense. So it's important to weigh it. Cups are the devil's measure and a source of 'invisible' calories.

Do you have a digital food scale?

This. Weigh it out in grams. Much more accurate.