OH MY WORD!!

mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I made a salad for lunch today but I forgot my salad dressing at home. There were a couple bottles of salad dressing in the frig at work, but one was 160 calories per serving with 160 fat calories and the other was 120 calories per serving with 120 fat calories. I decided to eat my salad with no dressing. I'm so glad I did because it was sooooooooo good! I could actually taste the individual ingredients without the dressing interferring with the taste. My salad only consisted of lettuce, sliced grapes, an egg, chopped, and some of those little tomatoes, sliced, but it was so much better than a salad with the dressing. I'll have to remember not to use salad dressing at home the next time. YUM YUM YUM

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Great discovery! I eat my salad without dressing quite frequently - at the most I'll add a splash of balsamic vinager, which has very few calories.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    I wish I could get to that point. Maybe some day:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I use to just use balsamic vinegar I will have to get use to that I guess.:tongue::tongue:
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    i love to eat salad with nothing on it, as (like you said) you can taste all the stuff properly.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    I LOVE salad with no dressing! I've never thought about putting grapes on it...I'll have to try it!
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    I normally put either fat free ranch or balsamic vinegar on mine. I can eat it with out dressing but most of the time I am putting something on it. I will have to try to eat it with out dressing more often.
  • The best thing about salad with no dressing? --- You can eat it with your fingers.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    I use a little homemade salsa or pace picante sauce instead of salad dressing. Very yummy! :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I have never really liked a lot of dressing on my salads anyway...I always eat it plain when I get a chef salad. I love the taste of all of the components and not just a bowl of ranch with some bits floating in it :laugh:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    I'm a dressing ADDICT! No dressing = no salad for me. Don't get me wrong...I've learned how to make my salad more "dressing like" in creative ways. I'll do balsamic vinegar and cottage cheese to make it "wet" or salsa and fat free sour cream quite frequently. If I have blue cheese dressing or ranch around I'll add a little just for that taste. My salads MUST be wet.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    The best thing about salad with no dressing? --- You can eat it with your fingers.

YES I had no idea anyone else did this! Hehe I eat lettuce straight out of the bag.
  • Good for you! You discovered an imaginative way to cut some calories with no sacrifice!
    Probably the grapes and tomatoes provided the tangy moisture that the dressing normally
    does. Cool.

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    When I became vegan I found the same thing with lots of food. Pizza is the best example - I used to crave it but I don't eat cheese, so I finally decided to order a vego with no cheese despite being certain it would be crap (and putting up with mocking from all my mates). Was the best pizza I ever had, so now I eat pizza a lot, never using cheese. You can actually taste everything. The pepper in the tomato paste really stood out and was excellent.

Cut down on sauces and the flavor of the food comes through every time, not just with your salad!
This discussion has been closed.