Need help showing abs ? Advice/Suggestions

Options
Well I am at a reasonable low bf percentage I'm not exact but I would say I'm anywhere from 10-9% 11 at the highest but anyways I still can't see all my abs only the top two and the first one on the second row and I have been maintaining a clean diet and everything even keeping my carbs low so what should I do ?
Could it just be I have bad genetics or maybe I need to build and define my abs more ?
Please I need help advice any and all suggestions are welcomed
Btw I'm 5'8 currently at 105 lbs

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you are at 9% BF and can't see most of your abdominal muscle, you need to bulk them up. Try sit ups with a plate held across your chest. Deadlifting and squatting are also great for the abs. I've also seen people get some insane result via the Abwheel.
  • AyySixPack
    AyySixPack Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oopss posted this under the wrong catergory disregard that but please still suggest help and advice
  • AyySixPack
    Options
    If you are at 9% BF and can't see most of your abdominal muscle, you need to bulk them up. Try sit ups with a plate held across your chest. Deadlifting and squatting are also great for the abs. I've also seen people get some insane result via the Abwheel.

So I need to build them more huh nd Plates sounds good how heavy the plats and yea I heard about squats how it works and strengthens your core gonna start some of those and any other abs workouts,exercises, circuits that you recommend suggest?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I think lifting mostly helps, but I do a small amount of ab work at the end. Have you tryed prone jackknives, or swiss ball crunches holding your arms out behind your head holding a weight plate. Somebody posted a cool video of a crossfit ab exercise the other day that looked great, if I have time i'll try find the link for you later.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Take a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJZpz5C1dAA
    I don't see how you could not have visible abs if you did that and have bodyfat as low as you do lol. Good luck :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! (pic)

The likely scenario is that you are not 9-10% bodyfat.

EDIT:

Wait, did you say 5'8 and 105lb?

Is that correct?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed 5'8 and 105 I would disregard any quest for abs at this point and I would eat and lift.

You should be in a calorie surplus and lifting, with age still on your side you could really make some great gains in a couple of years of heavy lifting and food.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Are you sure those aren't ribs?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    skinny-guy.jpg

Lift, eat, rest, repeat, to avoid being This guy
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

EDIT:

Is that correct?

I also believe that to be a typo....a MALE at 105lbs and 5'8?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 105 lbs?!?!
    And MALE?!?!?

OMG boy...EAT!!!!!!
    EAT a *kitten* ton of chicken breasts, and fish, and protein shakes, and veggies.... and LIFT HEAVY THINGS!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Well I am at a reasonable low bf percentage I'm not exact but I would say I'm anywhere from 10-9% 11 at the highest but anyways I still can't see all my abs only the top two and the first one on the second row and I have been maintaining a clean diet and everything even keeping my carbs low so what should I do ?
    Could it just be I have bad genetics or maybe I need to build and define my abs more ?
    Please I need help advice any and all suggestions are welcomed
    Btw I'm 5'8 currently at 105 lbs

Yup you probably need to do some more ab work. It think it's harder for taller and you are really lean at that height and weight.

I love planks, ab roll outs, and swiss ball pikes.

I have the opposite problem, I'm only 5'1" and ab work makes me have a really thick waist but I don't care I still do the ab work as well as the rest of the heavy lifting with an all body workout. Once I had my DXA scan and found that all the 11% body fat is in my upper body, upper legs, and pelvic area and my core is 0% I stopped worrying about my thick waist. It's all muscle and organs and it's not so thick as to look abnormal, it's just not as much of an hour glass as I'd like and I can't change it, so I accept it and learn to be happy that I'm fit. It's hard for girls to learn to be happy with themselves, always a constant struggle.

Lifting heavy, even dead lifts and squats will give you nice abs too. You need to lift heavy. I think the guys can help you more with the diet part and protein and what not. I know as a girl I don't need a "surplus" to gain muscle, but I won't ever gain as much muscle as a guy because I don't have the hormones for it, nor do I want to.

You really need to do an all body workout to stay balanced, including ab work. You need to lift heavy, light, pyramids, super sets, a combination of always changing it up so it works the full range of muscle fibers, while giving other parts a break to recover.
  • AyySixPack
    Options
    C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! (pic)

EDIT:

Is that correct?

Yes sir that is correct
  • AyySixPack
    Options
    You're 5'8" and 105 lbs?!?!
    And MALE?!?!?

OMG boy...EAT!!!!!!
    EAT a *kitten* ton of chicken breasts, and fish, and protein shakes, and veggies.... and LIFT HEAVY THINGS!

Chicken breasts, fish for example tilapia is good source of protein right nd yea I got my whey and yup gonna go get some more veggies since I ran out today but that is where the problem lies I don't have access to a gym to go and lift heavy so how should I approach the lifting heavy things part?
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    For some reason I thought you were already lifting otherwise I would've suggested that. Do you have some spare cash to start getting together stuff for home? I lift at home, so far have a barbell, dumbbells, weight plates of course and a pullup bar, next thing I am looking at getting is a door mounted resistance bands kit I think that will be useful, just get things bit by bit.

ETA: There is a guy on here whos had great results with a body weight program, you might be able to find his posts if you search.
  • AyySixPack
    Options
    For some reason I thought you were already lifting otherwise I would've suggested that. Do you have some spare cash to start getting together stuff for home? I lift at home, so far have a barbell, dumbbells, weight plates of course and a pullup bar, next thing I am looking at getting is a door mounted resistance bands kit I think that will be useful, just get things bit by bit.

ETA: There is a guy on here whos had great results with a body weight program, you might be able to find his posts if you search.

So with some sort of bodyweight resistance training routines followed up by some ab routines nd some cardio here nd there along with HIIT would help my abs show more ?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What most people are saying is to concentrate on gaining size first, which means you will put on some fat, but with muscle gains, when you decide to cut, you will look, and feel tons better.

When I was going for my six pack I did a workout called ab-boot camp. I think it has been removed from the website I found it at, though. You could try googling it to find out what it is.