Black Bean Brownies!

Options
So I found this recipe for black bean brownies and decided to try making som today. They are so good! And you can't even tell they have beans in them. I made some changes from the recipe below. I used sugar substitute (Diabeti Sweet) instead of sugar and applesauce instead of vegetable oil. I also left out the coffee and the chocolate chips. I also added two scoops of chocolate protein powder to boost the protein content a little. I think next time I may add a bit of baking powder to give them a more cake-like texture, but they were really rich and fudgey. Maybe I'll also add some nuts on top next time. Going to have one for dessert tonight with a squirt of fat free Rediwhip and some sugar free chocolate syrup! Yummy.

Ingredients
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and instant coffee in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes.

Makes 16 servings
Calories: 126 | Total Fat: 5.3g | Cholesterol: 40mg

Replies

• Solandra
    Options
    This looks pretty darn good, actually - did you have any problems finding black beans that weren't southwest-style?
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This sounds crazy and almost gross yet at the same time delish and i want to make them!!! Black beans!! who would of thought...How many cookies did it make for a batch?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I just had to send this to a gluten free friend! Thanks!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    If you are going to use the oil--and you have it on hand--walnut oil would probably be a fantastic substitution to regular veg. oil.
  • cnbenton
    Options
    This looks pretty darn good, actually - did you have any problems finding black beans that weren't southwest-style?

No problem finding plain black beans at all. They were with all of the other cans of beans at the grocery store.
  • cnbenton
    Options
    This sounds crazy and almost gross yet at the same time delish and i want to make them!!! Black beans!! who would of thought...How many cookies did it make for a batch?

It made and 8x8 pan of brownies. I cut it into 16 pieces, which is what the recipe called for.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    wow - that sounds SO nasty - but I really want to eat beans (I call myself an involuntary vegetarian because meat is so expensive generally speaking!) and we have a ton of dry beans - there have to be some black ones in there somewhere. This has to be the weirdest recipe I have ever seen. I am totally trying it! :laugh:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    bumping for my topics, since I just made a bunch of black beans for the week.
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    adding to my topics to try!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Ok that is just so odd that I might have to try it... LOL!

How was the texture... were they "fudgy" brownies or "cakey" brownies?? :drinker:
  • candylea
    candylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I might have to try these.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    So, I just made the brownies... a little different recipe though, because I also have an egg allergy. Here's the recipe I tried...

Ingredients
    •15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
    •2 whole bananas
    •0.33 cup agave nectar
    •0.25 cup unsweetened cocoa
    •1 tbsp cinnamon
    •1 tsp vanilla extract
    •0.25 cup raw sugar (optional)
    •0.25 cup instant oats

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F. Grease anf 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.

These are 164 calories, 32g carbs, 8g sugar, 7g fiber and 9g protein. (cut the 8X8 pan into 12 pieces)

I got the numbers from plugging the recipe into http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php.

So... results of the taste test... Two kids were afraid to try them. One kid ate one and said it was too gooey (I don't think I baked them long enough, they were rather soft). Another kid said they were good. And one kid ate two. My husband said that maybe it was because he knew what was in them, but he swore he tasted the beans. All I tasted was the cinnamon. Next time I make these (and yes, I'll make them again), I'll cut out the cinnamon and add a bit more cocoa.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have made black bean brownies before using far fewer ingredients...don't know how they'd compare to yours, but they turned out pretty tasty.

Puree 15 oz can of black beans in sauce
    Mix with one box brownie mix

Bake as directed.

They smell a bit beany when they first come out of the oven, but after they cool, you can't tell one bit. I took them to work and nobody knew they weren't normal brownies.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I can't do that one, because a lot of the brownie mixes (3 or 4 that I checked in the aisle) had milk as one of the ingredients. I can use an egg substitute for baking, but I can't get around the milk allergy!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    mmm brownies!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I am not a "sweets" person at all, but I also have to try this. It sounds so odd, black beans in the place of wheat! I love the idea of it though!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    :noway: Sweet! I am going to make them and see if the fam can tell! :laugh:
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    This is so crazy I just have to try it.