How to track and eat calories per day

Options
So I dont understand.... my goal is 1200 calories per day to eat for sure. I excerised and brned 260. So do I now eat those calories or leave it? What does net mean?

Replies

• somesuchsayer
    Options
    It's VERY important to eat back those calories. Think of it this way: You need 1200 calories to get your body, healthily, through the day. If you work some of those calories off then you just used some of that 1200 up. Especially at such a low limit as 1200, you should be meeting that every day.

So for example, you eat all three meals or whatever and you get to 1200. You work out a bit and burn 300 calories. You just earned yourself a "free" snack. :)
  • clohara
    clohara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just felt that maybe iwould be eating tomuch as I have had HUGE issues with losing weight. I will ensure i eat those calories then. I still dont get how lost weight when I exericse I have eat those calories back......
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its because the calorie level MFP set for you already has a deficit built in. You would lose even without exercise. By eating beck your burned calories you are avoiding having a "double" deficit ...which would likely be too low for good health...since you are already at the low end of the calorie allotment.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your calorie goals at a deficit. So, if you don't exercise at all that day you will still be eating a low enough calorie count to lose weight. If you are eating 1200 calories and the burn 260 the calories your body has to fuel it's normal functions (breathing, heart beating, organs functioning) is only 940 calories. Read this post for a full explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I have my calories set at 1610 a day. I exercise about five days a week and I eat back almost all of my calories. So on a day that I exercise I may eat over 2000 calories. But, I am still netting at or under my goal.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. First of all, I want to eat at a deficit so I lose weight. Secondly, I burn over 3000 calories per workout. If I ate that in addition to my regular daily allowance I'd be eating all day long.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 3000 calories a day?! Holy cow!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. First of all, I want to eat at a deficit so I lose weight. Secondly, I burn over 3000 calories per workout. If I ate that in addition to my regular daily allowance I'd be eating all day long.

Are you seriously burning 3000 calories per workout and then not eating any of those calories? So what are you netting? -2000?