Can't meet my calorie limit

Options
Hi all. I am new to MFP and fairly new to a 'lifestyle change' to enable me to lose (quite a bit of) weight. By the MFP calculations I should be on a 1450 cal diet to reach my goal weight. I originally started out by exercising away the calories I had eaten for the day but I've now been told that you should actually eat those calories. So there is where my struggle begins. I am sitting around 1,000 cals on most days, and today I have had breakfast and lunch and it still wants me to eat nearly 1,800 more cals (yes, I have been to the gym). I have even managed to sneak in a few marshmallows and not be over the fat etc. targets. I just have no idea what I am supposed to eat to make up the calories without feeling like I am overeating. Any advice is much appreciated (oh, and maybe an explanation as to why I should be eating those extra calories if I am trying to lose weight). Thank you!

Replies

• pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so I can't give you any specific tips. You could take à look at mine though for inspiration. On snacks and such.
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try avocado, olive oil, peanut butter, lean beef/pork for some healthier higher calorie things to hit your goals.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat your exercise but you do need to eat over your BMR, actually consume those calories for healthy, sustainable weight loss. It's easy to get extra calories in with healthy fats, think avocado, nuts, oils, full fat yogurts. Don't get hung up on macro's unless you're doing some kind of lean out or bulk up phase. Lots of people get their minds stuck on 1200 calories a day as some holy grail to aim for. It works for a while but it's more of a dieters mindset than something you can do for life.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Try avocado, olive oil, peanut butter, lean beef/pork for some healthier higher calorie things to hit your goals.

Sure you can. Just do what this person recommeded.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    One thing I see a lot of the time when people post this is they are using low fat/low cal versions of things. If you are, you could consider swapping for the full flavor and will help you get closer to your goals.

But for better answers, you need to open your diary.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    increase your fat intake and choose more calorie dense foods....here is an example of ~2100 calories that won't cause you to feel too full.

BREAKFAST:

a single bowl of oatmeal and cup of milk = 550 calories

oats (150 calories), milk (80 calories), 2 tbsp pb (190 calories), 1/2 a banana sliced into it (50) = 470 calories **cook all together

milk--1 cup (80 calories)

LUNCH:

a single sandwich and veggies with hummus= 690 calories

regular (NON-DIET BREAD) -2 slices (160), 1 oz cheese (100), 4 oz deli meat, rotisserie chicken, or veg meat (120), avocado or mayo (100) = 480 calories

2 servings baby carrots (70), 2 servings hummus (140) = 210 calories

DINNER:

a single bowl of pasta = 540 calories

2 oz pasta- dry (180 calories), 1 tbsp olive oil (120), 2 tbsp parmesan (60), 2 servings broccoli (60), and 4 oz chicken, shrimp, or other protein (120) = 540 calories

SNACKS (2 A DAY):

310 calories

1 oz nuts (160 calories)

1 greek yogurt--either nonfat with flax or a few nuts added in or 2 % (150 calories)

GRAND TOTAL = 2090 CALORIES
  • rsingh1491
    Options
    Hey Jodette!

The reason you should be eating extra calories after your workout is so your body has enough nutrients to replenish itself. Also, your body burns a number of calories just while performing simple daily activities like breathing, digesting food, washing the dishes,etc... You need a number of calories to sustain these basic functions while also replenishing your body after a workout. However, you shouldn't just be focussing on the amount of calories you eat, but also where those calories come from. Like I said before, your body needs nutrients to replenish itself so focus on eating healthy, nutrient-dense foods. A glass of soda and a glass of milk have approx. the same amount of calories, but the glass of milk is a better choice because it had more nutrients. So next time you want a snack, eat an apple or some nuts instead of a couple marshmallows. Also, every person's body is different and MFP can only give approximations of how many calories you should be eating. So if you are full at the end of the day, don't feel obligated to eat extra calories just because thats what your MFP log says. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can't? Or don't want to?
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you are loosing weight then you should have no problem eating your limit. People who say they do are full of BS if you had trouble eating enough calories then you would not be overweight and you would not need to be on a diet! Pull yourself together, eat less than you used to, more than you are. You can do it, you've been doing it long enough to make you need the diet.

*gets off her soapbox and accepts that she will now get flamed, but stands by it*
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If you are loosing weight then you should have no problem eating your limit. People who say they do are full of BS if you had trouble eating enough calories then you would not be overweight and you would not need to be on a diet! Pull yourself together, eat less than you used to, more than you are. You can do it, you've been doing it long enough to make you need the diet.

*gets off her soapbox and accepts that she will now get flamed, but stands by it*

no flame here. I agree! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

no flame here. I agree! :)

That makes 2 of us!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, we have all eaten more calories than we should and have in the process gained weight. That is why we are all here! It can be a difficult process to increase calories with pure healthy food. It is a learning curve...... Those of us that have "figured this out" need to give good solid advice that people can use and take with them day to day....
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Please don't eat marshmallows to try to bump up your calories. Eat food with some nutritional value. If you're burning a lot at the gym eat protein to help heal/build muscle. More fiber is always good. More calcium. None of this is found in a marshamallow. Nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hummus, nut butters, lean meat/fish, eggs, whole grains like quinoa or brown rice.. The list goes on and on.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Holy smokes, it sounds like you're burning a LOT of calories at the gym if your goal is 1450 and you still have 1800 after eating breakfast and lunch! Are you sure your calorie burn estimate is correct? If so, you might want to ease up at the gym especially if you are having that much difficulty eating enough calories. I'm not saying don't exercise, but maybe focus more on strength training and less on cardio. Also, try eating healthy, calorie rich foods like nuts, peanut butter, cheese, whole grains, milk, avocados, healthy oils, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please don't eat marshmallows to try to bump up your calories. Eat food with some nutritional value. If you're burning a lot at the gym eat protein to help heal/build muscle. More fiber is always good. More calcium. None of this is found in a marshamallow. Nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hummus, nut butters, lean meat/fish, eggs, whole grains like quinoa or brown rice.. The list goes on and on.
    Hey! Mind your business! Marshmallows are BOMB! :smokin:

And, BTW, Marshmallows *do* have carbohydrates! :wink:
  • Jodette76
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses. It has helped a lot. I guess I am worried that if I start snacking, then I won't stop and I'll end up just blowing things.

I am overweight because I ate the wrong kinds of food, and probably too much of it. I am trying to find a balance, that's all.

I do a LOT of cardio at the gym, but even after an hour I feel like I should be doing more.

It's just conditioning my body to the new lifestyle I have chosen for myself.... to be slimmer, happier and healthier.

Thanks for the postive thoughts, recommendations and encouragment. It is much appreciated.
  • Jodette76
    Options

If I had been eating right in the first place I wouldn't have put on weight, but I did... now that I am trying to be healthier - and that is NOT being on a diet but a complete lifestyle change, then yes I am finding it difficult. I don't want to overeat, I don't want to binge eat, and I am exercising a whole lot more than I used to.... I don't eat the same foods I used to... so it's not simply a matter of eating less or more. It's about finding a balance now that I am exercising and have totally changed eating habits.

I didn't find your comments useful at all, but I am glad there are other people that are willing to help, rather than criticise.